IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

This has gone 100 times worse than I could have ever imagined. So heart breaking. I can't believe it keeps getting worse. Hopefully some day a real company will do this because this project does have some good ideas. I would love a modern day cartridge based system. I have emulators but using the actual console and cartridges is just more fun. I like the ritual of it. Niche? You bet. But there's probably 1,000 of us willing to pay $400 for this niche. A half million could come up with something cool. We can 3D print the cases.

Monty

Edited by Insert Coin Toys
  • Like 1

UGH ... this interview is pissing me off. They set their ~5000 system minimum because that what they needed to get dev to sign on?? That's not how you bring a product to the market. You perform market analysis, which will provide factual information you can base your projections on. Don't start with your campaign first, then blame everyone else when it looks like those expectations were wrong.

• Like 5

I decided to read the transcript instead of the audio. Much thanks for all your work, triverse!

I'm still reading, but I'm already irked. The following is not the system we've been hearing for months:

John: And then at the higher stretch goal [$3.8 million] that gives us a part that really has a lot more gates than anything else out there.

Carl: Right. Basically if fans want to be able to play, say, Super Nintendo, they really need to help support and push for the high stretch goal?

John: No. No, they don’t need that because we already have that covered through our processor. And..

Carl: FPGA or ARM?

John: The ARM processor.

Mike: As software.

John: This is not intended to be an emulation machine. This plays new games off of new cartridges. To try and do emulation on it would be trivial with what we are putting in the box but that is not our purpose.

Edited to add that a bit later it seems like Carlsen is a fan of software emulation, whereas Woita wants FPGA-style emulation. Interesting.

• Like 2

Yeah, that is my pit and two chihuahua's in the background. The kitchen being demolished noise, I am not sure what that is. I did have a squirt bottle with water that I used to quiet down my dogs when they started barking though, maybe it was that?

I removed a lot of the barking, there were several points in the interview where we had to stop so I could shut them up, then we restarted whatever comment was going at that time so there will be some edit points that you will hear. Believe me, the unedited version is super annoying because of the dogs and repeating segments.

• Like 1

I decided to read the transcript instead of the audio. Much thanks for all your work, triverse!

I'm still reading, but I'm already irked. The following is not the system we've been hearing for months:

Thank you. I did it for the fans. We have seen immense support for this console coverage so it was a no brainer to put in the 20+ hours of work copying that MP3 over to text. It is not perfect but it is close. I went with readability rather than exact transcription (it would be nearly unreadable at many points). Also, I knew this was going to be big so I told them up front prior to the interview, that I would be making it available in print form also. We are working on the video too so we can reach people that only watch on Youtube.

• Like 6

I spent a few hours looking for software that would allow me to simply run the audio and it transcribe to text.

For our interview transcriptions I use a 3rd party company and then just run through once and check their accuracy.

They are really cheap, fast turnaround and only tend to miss the odd part where audio is muffled or there is a colloquialism used.

• Like 1

I read the transcript through, nice work on that. I found it interesting that they didn't always seem to be on the same page, I can see that in a large corporation, but it's 3 guys. Steve also being clueless about the Kevtris situation was really surprising. Why wouldn't he have known about any of that? Not the stuff on the forum here, but the general concept and talks Mike had. And lastly I get that they have to be positive, but John talking about the campaign really shows how out of touch they are. It IS a negative mode right now.

I read the transcript through, nice work on that. I found it interesting that they didn't always seem to be on the same page, I can see that in a large corporation, but it's 3 guys. Steve also being clueless about the Kevtris situation was really surprising. Why wouldn't he have known about any of that? Not the stuff on the forum here, but the general concept and talks Mike had. And lastly I get that they have to be positive, but John talking about the campaign really shows how out of touch they are. It IS a negative mode right now.

I was wanting so bad to promote this as "I scooped one of the partners" but held back. That would not be professional.

Reading Triverse's interview with the team (thanks for the work, BTW!).

I really don't get what their problem is with cart ports that wear out -- and they want to include one that will last 100 years.

Every mechanical device wears out. Those with protection against wearing out have coatings or lubrication that must be maintained. You might not think of a cartridge port as a straightforward 'mechanical device' but most people don't consider books as mechanical devices either. Everytime you use or enjoy them a part of them wears away or degrades -- you can't apply force and generate work (in the physics sense) and not do some miniscule damage somewhere. Physics is working against you.

Over the course of a console's lifetime a certain percentage of the units will have failures, no matter how good and airtight you think the QC might be. Lets pick a number, say 5% of the RVGA's made will have a cart port fail in 5 years. That number will at least double over the next five years, not including console that get repaired. Extrapolate that to 50 or 100 years. If you design your cart port so hardy that you eliminate those early 5% then you are throwing good money down a hole chasing those few consoles that would have been missed by your QC anyway. It makes far more economic sense to keep a modest wharehouse of spare parts for 100 years and replace them as needed. Trying to satisify that 5% of gamers who likely would find something else to be upset about doesn't sound like a good strategy to me nor does designing something so bulletproof that your sales flatline after a few years when everyone who wanted one has one. They will run themselves out of their own business.

It reminds me of people who ask "If airplane black boxes always survive an air crash why don't they just make the whole plane out of what they make black boxes out of?"

• Like 1

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure I've seen that FPGA demo that he showed on the "prototype" before.

If that turns out to be the case then they may have just stuck an FPGA board in the case.
I'm wondering if trying to mislead investors like that would be considered fraud.

• Like 1

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure I've seen that FPGA demo that he showed on the "prototype" before.

If that turns out to be the case then they may have just stuck an FPGA board in the case.

I'm wondering if trying to mislead investors like that would be considered fraud.

Development and evaluation fpga boards seldom look like the final product end up being. They are strictly used in the early phases to test code and functionality. I would find it completely backwards if they made a prototype board that was form fitting into the jaguar case before they hammered out the hdl code.

Oh dear god, Steve DIDN'T KNOW Keven was off the project until your interview with him?! This certainly is an eye-opening look into how these three guys are working with each other.

Thank you for all your hard work Triverse. This is a very illuminating interview

edit: Also I love how he is trying to compare Kevtris's project as if it is a competing cartrige-based system. That isn't what Kevtris is talking abot making at all and this interview just goes to show that they haven't even bothered to look at it and are just trying to sling mud, probably based on what they've heard from their facebook page.

Edited by Algus

I didn't go into this to do anything other than collect the information in one place, to give them a level, unbiased, platform to talk. What came of it is what you see/hear. I am still just as unbiased on this as I was before. I just know a little more than I did before the interview, and now everyone that reads it or listens to it, can know what they wanted everyone to hear.

• Like 2

Edited to add that a bit later it seems like Carlsen is a fan of software emulation, whereas Woita wants FPGA-style emulation. Interesting.

At least it has finally been confirmed exactly what the FPGA can not do! Was really weird how early on Steve (maybe Mike, was listening to the audio) was advocating FPGA and then John said they basically only have one for glue logic. It was an FPGA system that was being talked about on all the podcasts and specs on there web site until last week, that is the system I wanted to buy, probably even at $299.

I need to try and stop following this now, they are not flogging a system I want, its not healthy spending all this time on this.

Edited by Radfoo
  • Like 1

Reading Triverse's interview with the team (thanks for the work, BTW!).

I really don't get what their problem is with cart ports that wear out -- and they want to include one that will last 100 years.

I should've written notes down as I read through the transcript, but this is another thing that I thought was really unusual. They seem to focus on completely unnecessary aspects of the system. Cart connectors that won't wear out, memory that lasts a century, case colors, Internet haters are ruining this project, etc. Has anyone ever run into a problem with a cart edge connector other than the debacle that was the NES ZIF connector? I've heard of issues with the Jag's connector here and there, but AFAIK, there is no widespread connector failure. I don't even know how many cart based consoles I own and I've never had that problem. Not even with heavily abused systems I've gotten at thrift shops. It seems like part of their plan to talk about anything except the actual hardware design.

Which reminds me, I'm still not sure of their QA model. They're going to hire an entire QA staff to play test games? They really think that will happen? I also thought it was amusing that they basically said "these games are already out on other consoles and have been for some time." This thing becomes more and more laughable each day. It seems like each time they try to do something to turn the campaign around it just makes things worse. How can they not see this?

The more of that interview I read the less happy I get. Thanks for going through the huge effort of textifying it, though.

Think I'll stop for a bit now that I've skimmed down to one of the bits about kevtris. Maybe come back when my mood improves.

I had thought I *MIGHT* be able to get behind (spiritually 'behind' in a 100% non-financial way) a complete retooling/de-jag-ification/reboot of this idea, but I'm thinking that's not really going to be possible.

Triverse, how the heck were you able to keep a straight face in here knowing all this days ago?

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I was listening for about 22 minutes and then it stopped and now it's asking me to log in. Is there any place to download this instead?

Hmm, Podomatic is showing we are not quite yet at a gig of transfer yet (it is about 72 megs). Shouldn't be asking you to log in for anything. Where is that popping up at?

http://retrogamingmagazine.podomatic.com That is the Podomatic page, there is a download option there.