IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I liked the original proposed concept, then it became a train wreck, I was at least hoping in the end a console or device that at the very least even if it failed might be useful to hack or play with running your own code or emulators or maybe stuff provided by homebrewers. After the price of entry increase and insane funding goals well.......at the very least it has been a source for an incredible thread and hilarious parodies like THIS, at least in this way RVGS is already providing entertainment.

https://youtu.be/miech2DIWuM

• Like 22

Steve is a software guy and after reading that interview, I feel even worse for him. :(

The way the interview played out, it seemed like he was massively out of the loop. There's absolutely no reason for Mike not to have spoke to him about the situation with Kevin. It sounded to me like Steve would have tried to smooth things out, rather than Mike's approach of flipping the finger.

• Like 1

hilarious parodies like THIS

Brilliant! :rolling:

Another fine job by game_escape! I loved the long rambling about the power supply while lovingly panning up and down the cord!

I also love the "shout out" to AtariAge: "You guys are a bunch of whiny fiftysomethings, and quite frankly, I don't need you. I don't need you to market a nostalgia-based retro console aimed at a niche demographic with lots of disposable income, okay? So you guys can go screw yourselves!"

• Like 8

I don't think I can avoid being blamed at this point. My interview is the only one that has not come out "happy" and go lucky for them. I didn't plan that, I just intended to get to the bottom, well, deeper, in this than others. I have no agenda in this, still don't. I find it saddening that this has turned out like it has but well, it is all there in the interview. Just sad.

If there is a negative outcome, I can't see how it could be your fault. Much was made of your neutrailty, and they did ALL the talking. It seems like the more they talk, the deeper the hole they dig for themselves.
  • Like 5

Agreed. I love the Duracell and Arctic Silver in a baggie on the kitchen table.

Yes! That, and the bit of scrap paper with "Business Plan" written on it with a sharpie.

The comments on YouTube are funny, too:

What happened to the ViewMaster 3D reel compatibility you promised months ago? You also said you were adding holograms, but you just cut off all ties with your hologram programmer after leaving him completely in the dark for weeks. I was a big supporter with deep pockets and a nice goatee but I can't take this any more. Well, unless you offer me a free digital issue of your magazine (none of that old fashioned paper stuff). Then we're good.

• Like 2

The whole segment about Kevin is the most unprofessional discussion I've heard in ages.

Means nothing coming from someone who posts here in this cesspit of smear and literally hateful hate. :lolblue:

But then again, I don’t understand these forums at all. It takes too much to process.

Oh dear god, Steve DIDN'T KNOW Keven was off the project until your interview with him?! This certainly is an eye-opening look into how these three guys are working with each other.

And to think some of us got worried this interview was going to be out of date and uninteresting. To not have told him that was... don't even need to say what that was. But to disguise the reasoning as well and the under-the-bus line again. Shameful.

You know what, Carl, maybe there is no market for this, maybe that is what we are seeing.

What's this? A moment of clarity? At last!

Maybe that is what we are seeing, but I don’t think so, and I would hate to write off this, I think people need this, I think the industry needs a shot in the arm.

Write it off. Nobody needs this. The industry will not receive a shot in the arm from the RVGS or anything remotely like it... I'd take a shot to the head over wading through another of these interviews.

Big thanks to triverse for the effort, you should spend next weekend with your doggies down the park away from that keyboard and the nonsense :0)

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

I don't think I can avoid being blamed at this point. My interview is the only one that has not come out "happy" and go lucky for them. I didn't plan that, I just intended to get to the bottom, well, deeper, in this than others. I have no agenda in this, still don't. I find it saddening that this has turned out like it has but well, it is all there in the interview. Just sad.

Thanks very much for your hard work on the interview and transcribing it. I am sure it was more of a torturous process than you described here. It goes without saying, but this was light years beyond the Gamester infomerical. After listening to this, I feel sad in a way that what passion they do have has been so grossly misdirected by greed and disorganization. I have had my fun parodying the whole mess, but on some level I feel that, with a different type of product, message, and price point, they could have made a neo-retro console work.

• Like 9

What's with the BS Mike said about Oculus? Backers definitely did get the product they backed. Oculus has since gone on to creating a second model (which I own) and they're shipping their consumer version next year. He really needs to stop talking about things he doesn't understand.

Nuts, but even better he went on to say:

You know, I crowdfunded Sword of Fargaol like two years ago and I haven’t gotten the game yet. I love Jeff McCord, but I am not yelling and screaming at him every day ’cause I haven’t got this game. You know, it takes a long time. Things take time.

Not a damn clue why he went off down that avenue, but not the kind of subject I'd choose to bring up when hoping to receive $2-4m in order to dream up a console, prototype it, iterate until it works, produce the console, design and produce the packaging, ship the console, create sdk, design our own games, procure other games, continue to design games, PROPERLY TEST ALL GAMES LIKE PROPER GAME TESTERS BACK WHEN GAMES WERE REAL GAMES AND GOT TESTED PROPERLY, produce the games, ship the games, rent an office, throw money at legal experts, do the FCC thing, watch some dogs surf, ... within a year or so.

PBF167-Punch_Bout.gif

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 7

If there is a negative outcome, I can't see how it could be your fault. Much was made of your neutrailty, and they did ALL the talking. It seems like the more they talk, the deeper the hole they dig for themselves.

I know, and everything is sourced in the interview if anyone feels I doctored the text. The only thing I really did to the text was make it readable because "word for word" transcription would not have worked. That is why I made the disclaimer that this is a "loose" copy, that these are not exact quotes (just in case there is a problem later).

As I mentioned a few times here, I think I spoke less than 100 words in this hour and eighteen minute discussion. I do think they had prepared a bit, at least all but Steve since he doesn't read the forums, as I did ask publicly for questions from people. The way they went after a gentle nudge by me was guided by something, I am not sure what.

I am still impartial, I mean, I am certainly less biased than Gamester81. I do make money off of the ads on my site but they are not ads that RETRO VGS or Collectorvision have paid for so I believe it is different than talking about the product that a company I work for is directly connected to. I don't mean to throw Gamester81 under any kind of bus (I am sure his fanbase will accuse me of it) but at best his "interview" should be labeled an paid infomercial.

You can't be unbiased when interviewing someone that is directly connected to your paycheck. I am sorry, you can't.

Game_Escape, I went as far as taking my girlfriend to her sisters house so that I didn't ruin her weekend sitting here copying that interview over. I focused as much as I possibly could on Saturday from 7 am, or so, to about 3 am Sunday morning. I was not at my computer that whole time but I was as much as I could possibly do. I literally got sick to my stomach from playing the audio a little too loud at the end so I could catch all of Mike's words, that combined with the long time sitting here at a computer it was not good. I got it done though and that is what matters.

UKMike, I am very interested in that service you mentioned. I will try and remember to shoot you a PM about it. If I ever do another one of these, I will definitely pay someone to do it, if I can afford it.

With all of that out of the way, should I start a Kickstarter to copy over Gamester81's interview with Mike so it is easier to digest?

Oh it makes me so mad.

GAMES WERE BUGGY AS SHIT IN THE OLD DAYS

Every time I read about how they're gonna be bug free like the "good old days" I think about this. I mean, my entire approach to Final Fantasy is abusing and work around the bugs in the game's mechanics to beat it.

This QA "plan" seems to derive from the fact that they don't like being required to download patches when they put their games in the console. Fine, Xbox 360 yeah it was annoying if you just wanted to get online and game for a few minutes but it was also a convenience in that it fixed broken shit. This hypothetical console of theirs won't really be going online for matchmaking (I guess) so it seems like a nonissue. If you don't want auto-patching just put in a toggle in the firmware or something.

Now if you don't want to patch and are just going to want to live with whatever skirts past QA fine, I can respect that. YOU WILL HAVE BUGS IN YOUR GAMES HOWEVER. That is how it was in the "old days" and that is how it is going to be.

• Like 3

I'm listening to the last 20 minutes or so. It's so strange hearing them discuss stuff like who pays for the recall if a bug is found. It's clear that they never discussed this before because John cuts off and argues against Mike. Geez, it's like these guys are playing fantasy 90's game console manufacturer. I'm waiting for one of them to shout out "lightning bolt!"

• Like 1

I'm listening to the last 20 minutes or so. It's so strange hearing them discuss stuff like who pays for the recall if a bug is found. It's clear that they never discussed this before because John cuts off and argues against Mike. Geez, it's like these guys are playing fantasy 90's game console manufacturer. I'm waiting for one of them to shout out "lightning bolt!"

I don't think they knew that question was coming. It is evident in how they handle it. The thing is, that is a situation they answered on their Facebook page after bringing it up to a fan, I believe.

Edited by triverse

I have had my fun parodying the whole mess, but on some level I feel that, with a different type of product, message, and price point, they could have made a neo-retro console work.

Thank you, first of all, for your brilliant parody! Anyone who hasn't been following the RVGS project since the beginning would have a hard time appreciating just how brilliant it is, but I loved it. I also agree about the potential of a neo-retro console: the passion surrounding the RVGS seems to show that there's enough demand there to make the right product successful. I don't think the RVGS team are the ones who can bring it to fruition, but I'm sure that someone else will, and that would be the best possible outcome.
  • Like 1

Oh it makes me so mad.

GAMES WERE BUGGY AS SHIT IN THE OLD DAYS

Every time I read about how they're gonna be bug free like the "good old days" I think about this. I mean, my entire approach to Final Fantasy is abusing and work around the bugs in the game's mechanics to beat it.

This QA "plan" seems to derive from the fact that they don't like being required to download patches when they put their games in the console. Fine, Xbox 360 yeah it was annoying if you just wanted to get online and game for a few minutes but it was also a convenience in that it fixed broken shit. This hypothetical console of theirs won't really be going online for matchmaking (I guess) so it seems like a nonissue. If you don't want auto-patching just put in a toggle in the firmware or something.

Now if you don't want to patch and are just going to want to live with whatever skirts past QA fine, I can respect that. YOU WILL HAVE BUGS IN YOUR GAMES HOWEVER. That is how it was in the "old days" and that is how it is going to be.

I am still so pissed at GT2, you know they added the dragsters but left out their races and then they forgot to readjust the percentage to complete the game, man so pissed.

I believe we should send Mike an NTSC 7800 with the original Mission Impossible and tell him we will give him 4M$ once he completes the game, I'm sure he'll change his mind.

I don't think they knew that question was coming. It is evident in how they handle it. The thing is, that is a situation they answered on their Facebook page after bringing it up to a fan, I believe.

The infamous "developers will be instructed to give us bug free games" post, no less:

I still think there should be a way to update games; if not directly then something similar to XBox 360/Live. But, it seems this must be the better route:

attachicon.giffb_bugs.PNG

Edit: Whoops, Algus beat me to the reference!