IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I'll just address the elephant in the room here and be the first to say that now is definitely the time for kevin to put up a kickstarter for his project.

I know that I would feel good backing him, knowing i'd get exactly the system that we all wanted. And I'm sure others here would be happy to give him support right now.
Not that we wouldn't support him any time in the future, I just think now would be perfect while this greasy horror show is still getting all this attention.

• Like 1

I'll definitely have some money earmarked for Kevin's system. I want to see his full proposal first but some of the stuff he's talking about in his thread, like USB controllers already has me on board since it means I already have everything I need to use it.

• Like 1

42:00 - calling my project a "board only" again, which is never how I would sell it. I just showed the parts I had finished and not what I'd consider a sellable end user product, just the actual hardware that makes it work vs. the packaging to make it look nice. I simply had not gotten to that point in the project yet because the PCB is going to be changing, so designing an enclosure is the least of my worries right now. He also mentioned something about the plethora of analog outputs it's going to have vs mine (if I heard that right). I touched on that several times already on my separate Zimba 3000 thread.

It's funny how the Retro VGS team seems to be starting with the shell, then working their way into the board. Isn't that opposite of what should happen? You start first with the board, and surround it with plastic. I think you're off to the right start, Kevtris ;)

We just passed 3 gigs of transfer with Podomatic. Just wanted to let everyone know we only have 15 gigs over there. I do have it uploaded to three more accounts so when it runs out I will just swap out the embed code. I believe that is called being ready, or marketing or something.

Edited by triverse
  • Like 1

My $0.02:

Disclaimer- I wasn't going to buy the RVGS until after it came out. In other words, I am a hater.

First of all, thank you Triverse for doing the interview and transcribing. I can't say I learned anything, but I did get a headache.

In the early days, like five months ago, I was pretty hyped- not for what the RVGS was being designed to do, but because I thought it could potentially eventually lead to (text removed on the advice of my nonexistent patent attorney). Now it looks like that will not be possible, so I don't think I have a use for the RVGS after all.

Haters gotta hate...

• Like 3

Didn't see any there, but I just found this one. Odd collision issue.

That's so minor! ;-)

I have no video to prove it ... but I had to keep a whole team on standby at their desks while an Activision exec argued with Sony to get a Class A "Must Fail" crash down into the 3-point Class B category so that we could hit a desired ship date.

And there's plenty of other examples, like the common Day 1 Updates. And that's just one smallish Dev Studio.

There's probably plenty of other veterans here that must have similar/worse stories.

Games have definitely been shipped with known bugs!

Edited by elmer

Brilliant! :rolling:

Another fine job by game_escape! I loved the long rambling about the power supply while lovingly panning up and down the cord!

I also love the "shout out" to AtariAge: "You guys are a bunch of whiny fiftysomethings, and quite frankly, I don't need you. I don't need you to market a nostalgia-based retro console aimed at a niche demographic with lots of disposable income, okay? So you guys can go screw yourselves!"

Thanks jaybird3rd and everyone else on here for the kind words on the parody videos. They were fun to do and I am glad they were able to inject some levity into this odd but fascinating situation. It was great getting to know the AtariAge forums through this thread and I plan to stick around.

• Like 4

I have no video proof of it ... but I had to keep a whole team on standby at their desks while an Activision exec argued with Sony to get a Class A "Must Fail" crash down into the 3-point Class B category so that we could hit a desired ship date.

I know exactly what you are talking about. :lol:

"We need to get this waived!"

Thanks jaybird3rd and everyone else on here for the kind words on the parody videos. They were fun to do and I am glad they were able to inject some levity into this odd but fascinating situation. It was great getting to know the AtariAge forums through this thread and I plan to stick around.

Kudos on the vids. the level of detail and comedic delivery on every laughable thing said by the RVGS team were priceless to say the least.

I also joined the forums because of this thread, although I've been lurking the forums off and on for years. I felt like I should be a part of history by posting in this thread and its safe to say that you've earned your place.

Also watched and enjoyed some of your other vids and subscribed.

updates from the indie gogo page

"

21 hours ago

RETRO VGS - Part #4 Update from Hardware Engineer John Carlsen

#8: We are going to make adapters that let you play cartridges from older systems. Mike let the cat out of the bag early on this one. Yes, it’s true, and it’s going to be awesome. There’s a lot of engineering yet to be done on these (mostly mechanical design and making tools for injection molding plastic) and it’s a relatively low priority for me right now, but we will definitely offer adapters at very affordable prices that allow game cartridges from selected older systems to be played on RETRO VGS.

For example, our “Expansion Module #1” plugs in like a regular cartridge, but it has switches at the top and a slot on the front that will accept and play game cartridges that were made for the Atari VCS (2600/2600A) or Sears Tele-Games system, with potentially enough room under the slot for a wood-grain sticker. When an Atari VCS cartridge is inserted into the front of the adapter, the Atari VCS cartridge sits over the top of the RETRO VGS dome so you can read the end label and the top label, many of which were printed with important information including which number to select for which game and which controller(s) to use. Atari VCS games can be played using RETRO VGS USB controllers or classic 9-pin controllers.

We hadn’t yet posted this on our campaign page, and the word is already out.

With that, I end my first public status report, and thank you for your continued support.

- John Carlsen

• Like 1

Alright, let's not derail the thread with facts, okay?

OK, how's this (they've now put some real specs on the IGG page) ...

After spending months of decrying any comparison between the RETRO VGS and the Ouya ...

RETRO VGS OUYA

CPU 1.6GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9 1.7GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9

RAM 1GB DDR3-800 1GB DDR3-800

PROTOTYPE Manufacturer's SoC eval board Manufacturer's SoC eval board

OS We won't have one (NetBSD?) Android

CONTROLLER Yes Yes

CARTRIDGE Yes No

COST $300 $100

• Like 3

Thread moves so fast!

Ok, I have listened to the whole thing. I felt I needed to hear the inflection in their voices, so I would be able to better judge their words.

Wow. WOW. I just..........can't even. Where to begin? I can only muster random thoughts.

I feel sorry for Steve W.. He seems like an ok guy who got caught up in this. He didn't know about the Kevtris drama, or who Kevin even is! This makes the other 2 look very deceptive.

None of these guys have a clue on their FPGA stance. They touted FPGA cores for so long, only to talk up the ARM side, then promote cart adapters at the last minute. Listening to them scramble all over each others words during the FPGA question is pretty telling. There is no accord here.

More talk about bug free games, and no updates. Calling modern devs lazy. I rented TONS of NES games as a kid. Some of the games were so full of bugs that the games barely ran at all. Some were broken on the design aspect, making this unplayable. Don't believe me? Watch the AVGN. He became famous by playing broken games! Many games that he plays are LICENCED! If Nintendo had this much fall through the QA cracks, then how am I supposed to trust these 3? This is all an elaborate prank, right? :? NGDev team did it right. Gunlord MVS cart with a USB port for updates: http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

"No prototype, just smoke and mirrors". Yeah......... Mike, go look in the mirror when you say that.

My head was just spinning after listening to all of this. I can't take much more of this bullcrap.

• Like 1

OK, how's this (they've now put some real specs on the IGG page) ...

After spending months of decrying any comparison between the RETRO VGS and the Ouya ...

RETRO VGS OUYA

CPU 1.6GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9 1.7GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9

RAM 1GB DDR3-800 1GB DDR3-800

PROTOTYPE Manufacturer's SoC eval board Manufacturer's SoC eval board

OS We won't have one (NetBSD?) Android

CONTROLLER Yes Yes

CARTRIDGE Yes No

COST $300 $100

Geez, so the thing is somewhere between a "cartridge Ouya" and an "indie-steam carts" console.

The main selling point of the console and why I was excited was for the use of Core's and FGPA to have perfect compatibility of old systems. That is how a number of the more tech orientated parts of the community became interested. It wasn't having software emulation. The current console iteration isn't focussed on the past, just retro-looking newly released games, but isn't as powerful enough to be competitive on that front

• Like 2