IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Yes, let's bundle in a open standard like Compact Flash inside the RetroVGS cart with an interface adapter to the cartridge bus. That way users can dismantle the cart, remove the Compact Flash, dump it or reflash it with a better game, and share the ROMz on the Internet! :ahoy:

No matter CF or a totally protected propietary thing, users totally will do all of this sooner or later. Happened to every and each console. Not even Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and everyone else, with all their billions, were able to prevent it.

Edited by Shiru
  • Like 2

Austin had a DC copy of the game for sale here in the marketplace as recently as a few days ago. Not sure if it sold. He wanted somewhere around $75 for it, but it was the LE edition with the soundtrack disc (so not a bad deal at all in my opinion). NG:Dev also recently opened up another round of Gunlord reprint orders, at 399 Euros. I think they sold out, though. But they keep doing reprint runs.

Surprisingly, I still have it. Figured it would have been gone by now seeing as you can't really get it anymore. NG:DEV Team seems to have mostly abandoned the Dreamcast from what I can tell. Maybe it's just not worth their time, as I'm guessing the profit margin is fairly low on those releases (or maybe they take a while to move, whereas MVS/AES releases seem to sell out immediately). That said, they don't seem to do many (if any, in recent years) reprints of their DC releases.

I was using Movie Maker on Windows. I know, not the best but my other software (Virtual Dub and AviDemux won't let me mix images with audio).

Cough up a little bit of dough for something like Sony Vegas. I know you're just "small time" right now, but trust me, a ridiculously small $30 - $50 will be one of the best investments you'll make if you want to keep rolling with this in the future.

We just passed 3 gigs of transfer with Podomatic. Just wanted to let everyone know we only have 15 gigs over there. I do have it uploaded to three more accounts so when it runs out I will just swap out the embed code. I believe that is called being ready, or marketing or something.

Do you have your stuff up on iTunes as well as a backup? There shouldn't be any limit to that (or at least I thought).

I actually thought of this in regards to if the Retro VGS was online with an SD slot that piracy could come into effect. It's valid, but at the same time when you are designing your system around cores to run NES or 2600 carts... well... pot calling the kettle black, much? I'm not saying it's right, but the people who bought this system specifically for the collecting of new carts wouldn't want ROMs on a flash cart anyways. That's the point of the system, to run carts. In a nutshell, it's the whole problem with the system. Nothing about it makes any sense. It's a grand, fairy tale, lovely idea I would love to see come to fruition, but logic can't exist with this kind of system. It's rolling the dice and seeing how users put it to use. If the fucking games are 10 bucks on Steam to begin with... who cares? If someone buys the console, that's a win. If someone buys a developers game for more money to own a physical copy, that's a win. No matter how you want to slice it, and I dare anyone to figure it out without alienating any of its target group (and it needs every one of those to be viable - even someone who would JUST buy it as a console to run off the cores NES roms) just how to do it. This is a labour of love project and can never be anything more.

And how could anyone in the RVGS team think for one second without the ability to upgrade system software that within a week someone wouldn't have a flash cart figured out and there's not a goddamn thing they can do about it because they can't upgrade their system software to disable piracy! Sell the system. Encourage piracy and encourage devs who want physical carts. It's the only way a system like this can work. It's gotta be a give and take thing because if we're gonna give $50 for Shovel Knight on a cart, I better be able to take the $30 difference from somewhere else.

Yes, let's bundle in a open standard like Compact Flash inside the RetroVGS cart with an interface adapter to the cartridge bus. That way users can dismantle the cart, remove the Compact Flash, dump it or reflash it with a better game, and share the ROMz on the Internet! :ahoy:

Someone comes up with a bootloader you install on a larger capacity Compact Flash, then you throw all the RetroVGS roms you want on there. Boom, instant multi / flash cart... :pirate: :ahoy: :pirate:

Somehow I believe the RetroVGS team as well as developers would want to avoid a piracy fiasco such as that... :roll:

I was using Movie Maker on Windows. I know, not the best but my other software (Virtual Dub and AviDemux won't let me mix images with audio).

Windows Movie Maker sucks ass. Windows Media Encoder (free download from MS) is far superior for encoding purposes. I believe you can use Virtual Dub to stitch images together. They need to be bitmaps and match the resolution of the video, numbered sequentially, and you'll probably need to make copies for every frame in the entire video. I hope you have many gigabytes of hard disk space if you plan on working with uncompressed HD bitmap frames. Encode it to H264 at uber high quality. Bit rate will be extremely low because each frame is identical to the one before and after. Now that you have an AVI file that consists solely of static image content, open it in AVIDemux and import the audio transcript. Export -> copy and you're done. Then upload your file to YT or whereever.

Also, if you use AVI or some other video container, and the run length of the video or audio codec do not match, depending on the software, either a portion of the video or the audio may get truncated, so you will need to pad the stream if one is shorter than the other.

Edited by stardust4ever

So thanks to finally catching up with this thread, I've realized there is at least one positive outcome if the RVGS team were to pull the plug early on their campaign: We won't have 15+ pages of new thread posts to catch up on every three days. Or maybe that would be a bad thing? It sure does help pass the time at work, but I have to say, the whole thing seems like it's already run its course, with the Triverse interview ending things on a high (low?) note. "Move along, nothing more to see here." At least that's the feeling I'm getting from the whole thing right now.

• Like 1

So thanks to finally catching up with this thread, I've realized there is at least one positive outcome if the RVGS team were to pull the plug early on their campaign: We won't have 15+ pages of new thread posts to catch up on every three days. Or maybe that would be a bad thing? It sure does help pass the time at work, but I have to say, the whole thing seems like it's already run its course, with the Triverse interview ending things on a high (low?) note. "Move along, nothing more to see here." At least that's the feeling I'm getting from the whole thing right now.

But the train is still full steam ahead with no sign of stopping. I'm sure at least one of the trio will bail before we hit the end but it's the stubborness of the principals involved that keeps me coming back to see what new unintentionally hillarious things get said off the cuff. I think the Triverse interview is just the tip of the iceberg.

Face it, the gaming community hasn't had quite this slice of entertainment pie since the press scandals last year.

One way to salvage this mess might be for them to make their own frank documentary about how and why it failed. Terry Gilliam style.

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 5

"the people who bought this system specifically for the collecting of new carts wouldn't want ROMs on a flash cart anyways. That's the point of the system, to run carts. In a nutshell, it's the whole problem with the system. Nothing about it makes any sense."

That's where I'm disagreeing with some critics of the RVGS (though upon reading further I am certainly getting alot of the other criticisms). If you love retro/classic gaming, it's quite possible - no, likely - that you'd love a new machine with collectible, attractive physical media, and of course fun games. You might even be willing to pay a premium for that. However, at the same time, you'll inevitably still get a hankering to play some classics, and many of us have limited space in our entertainment centers or don't want to wear down our classic hardware and software. A retro vgs which doubled as a machine that played the classics (with great fpga emulation?) off of SD media would have been the perfect entertainment machine for many of us...

I would tend to think so, anything more is regurgitation and repetition from folks that want to keep the drama going. The wreck has happened, the tow trucks are on-scene. Ohh maybe there'll be some gold coins scattered here and there in the streets. But it's time to move on.

• Like 1

I would tend to think so, anything more is regurgitation and repetition from folks that want to keep the drama going. The wreck has happened, the tow trucks are on-scene. Ohh maybe there'll be some gold coins scattered here and there in the streets. But it's time to move on.

Agreed. Nothing but the same old arguments repeated ad nauseum over the last few days. Everyone has their own opinion on why it failed and what needs to change (and I'm guilty of this too) yet there's been very little in the way of new developments, except that video, which has been discected and analysed by all and sundry. My mouse wheel has been getting a real workout recently. From hereon in, it's simply morbid fascination (again, guilty).

I disagree. Yes, it moves slower now, but it is not over. I need to know who leaves, when do they fold etc.

The aim is not just to watch the wreck and eating popcorn. It is also a lesson in judgement. After my wife heard/watched videos from Mike and John, we watched some of the Kevtris videos. After a couple of minutes she stated that "this guy is legit!".

I have also liked how they have responded with the internet-cliché of calling us 'haters'. I have made several projects, as a lot of you guys have. I did it in my own time, with my own money and I did it alone. This means that I don't owe any of you an explanation. Mike et al. cannot have that luxury since they want your money.

Seeing Mike Kennedy calling people haters and drunks annoys me. I have also followed the pinball dramas from scams and failed projects, and I am amazed at the people who invest in these things. In pinball, we're talking large amounts from each individual. And if the project fails and the money is lost, people are OK with it...as long as the person tried! (and it wasn't a scam)

You guys aren't haters. You are extremely trusting and will fund almost anything that fits the vein of your hobby. If not for the end product, then to salute the guy making something. That is the lesson I have learned.

Edited by AE35
  • Like 2

"the people who bought this system specifically for the collecting of new carts wouldn't want ROMs on a flash cart anyways. That's the point of the system, to run carts. In a nutshell, it's the whole problem with the system. Nothing about it makes any sense."

That's where I'm disagreeing with some critics of the RVGS (though upon reading further I am certainly getting alot of the other criticisms). If you love retro/classic gaming, it's quite possible - no, likely - that you'd love a new machine with collectible, attractive physical media, and of course fun games. You might even be willing to pay a premium for that. However, at the same time, you'll inevitably still get a hankering to play some classics, and many of us have limited space in our entertainment centers or don't want to wear down our classic hardware and software. A retro vgs which doubled as a machine that played the classics (with great fpga emulation?) off of SD media would have been the perfect entertainment machine for many of us...

I'm not sure how you interpreted my post but that's exactly what I meant. The only way for it to work at any realistic price point (150-300) is to be the best of all worlds.

That's where I'm disagreeing with some critics of the RVGS (though upon reading further I am certainly getting alot of the other criticisms). If you love retro/classic gaming, it's quite possible - no, likely - that you'd love a new machine with collectible, attractive physical media, and of course fun games. You might even be willing to pay a premium for that.

I was apprehensive at first when the RVGS was announced, but the old-fashioned gamer and collector inside me warmed up to the idea of having new retro-style games released on cartridges. The collecting aspect aside, you no doubt get a tangible, genuine feeling when you have a physical cartridge in your hands. People enjoy that, and I think that's one of the aspects that is constantly adding fuel to the current day homebrew "fire". The idea of the original Retro VGS vision is novel and I think something like that could work, at least on a small scale.

However, at the same time, you'll inevitably still get a hankering to play some classics, and many of us have limited space in our entertainment centers or don't want to wear down our classic hardware and software. A retro vgs which doubled as a machine that played the classics (with great fpga emulation?) off of SD media would have been the perfect entertainment machine for many of us...

I am hopeful a device will eventually be released that allows multi-system compatibility (either via hardware or solid/reliable emulation), HDMI video out, uses classic controller ports (without the requirement of dongles/converters), while still looking good in the entertainment center. I want something that generally looks like it belongs with the other modern consoles it sits next to, something that powers up quickly (not a PC), something that has a nice interface (not an Ouya), and with or without the ability to use original carts (SD cards and ROMs only? I'm fine with that, if it's a solid all-in-one solution). I had hoped the Retron5 would be this, but as of now (without goofy workarounds), it is not--yet. The Retro VGS may have been able to be this while still providing its own unique cart format on top of it, and that might have been good. Maybe KevTris' system can be that one I'm looking for. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'm not sure how you interpreted my post but that's exactly what I meant. The only way for it to work at any realistic price point (150-300) is to be the best of all worlds.

I personally liked one of the original ideas someone involved posted a few pages back: A Super Sega Megadrive. Something like a backwards compatible iteration of that 16-bit console I grew up with and loved. A version with a higher sprite/color count and a way to actually implement specialized hardware support (like an SVP Chip), through vhdl would be fun to develop for as well.

Only problem is, we need the injection mold for the original model 1 megadrive. Or else this awesome Idea is doomed to fail. :P

• Like 3

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Calm down, bros. Hey, hey, no need to raise your voices. Relax folks. Please listen to the voice of reason. Whoa, I'm gonna need you to calm down. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we need to get down to brass tacks, burn the midnight oil, face the music and understand that blood is thicker than water.

post-13-0-40508500-1443427816_thumb.jpg

Remember to vote:

atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

• Like 1

Well, I would be interested in a nice looking all-in-one console. Emulation is OK with me, I am tired of sparse save points. I wouldn't mind saving some space, but of course there are still consoles that I want to have in sight.

sonic7.jpg

• Like 5

I personally liked one of the original ideas someone involved posted a few pages back: A Super Sega Megadrive. Something like a backwards compatible iteration of that 16-bit console I grew up with and loved. A version with a higher sprite/color count and a way to actually implement specialized hardware support (like an SVP Chip), through vhdl would be fun to develop for as well.

Only problem is, we need the injection mold for the original model 1 megadrive. Or else this awesome Idea is doomed to fail. :P

The shells are the hard part, let's make no mistake about it!

I would as well be on board with that idea at the 150 price point. But knowing what the Ouya could do for 99... including a real controller (even if the D-pad is shit and interface lagged some), at 300, it better have top notch cores, which have to include Genesis or SNES or the people won't give a shit. It's just the way I, at least, believe it is. I don't mind a console having hardware restraints of a Genesis or SNES, but I also don't mind if it can do PSX or PS2 era stuff if the cost isn't much more because that broadens the audience. Developers would make games with 16-bit limitations in mind if they so chose. If they decided to make hybrids between 16 bit games and modern graphics, that's on them. I don't think anyone is going to change a developer's mind. They're going to go the most profitable way. And just because my idea of "retro gaming" is 2600 to 16 bit doesn't mean someone else is wrong thinking PS2 is retro now, some, what, 10 years after its prime.

And I re-iterate... this is why these ideas are sadly doomed. You may as well just use Steam or the Playstation store or smartphone to get your own personal fix rather than have 5 different niche people arguing over who's retro dick is of the appropriate age.

If it was my choice, the system would be Ouya-ish capable of running up to PS2-ish graphics, support SD and emulators and have precious carts for nostalgia. And have a fucking awesome shell above all! ;)

Aside, I'm calling it a day right now. I'm up to page 110 and will be leaving for church shortly. My pastor is scheduling a trip to a local observatory to view and discuss the bloodmoon tonight. I plan on going. So any of you reading/posting this thread tonight, I suggest you take a break and go outside to gaze at the heavens. Thank you and GOD bless... | :)

Totally missed the eclipse. A whole month of drought and tonight it was total overcast. Stupid clouds... :razz:

Back on topic; I am up to page 115 now. Five more to get caught up assuming I don't sleep and wake up to ten more. :P

I downloaded the mp3 podcast and listened to the entire thing. Wow, what a sales pitch! Much as I would love to see them launch this product, one look at the IndieGogo and at this point it's all kicking a dead horse. But I must admire their absolute blind optimism. Not one of the three guys has even the slightest inkling the project will fail. Yet it's something that needs to exist. But I am convinced at this point Mike and company are not the visionaries to do it.

Maybe Kevtris get his FPGA multibox up and running. Maybe he could even run other homebrew console projects like Uzebox, etc... And I genuinely like the idea of massively overclocked SNES/Genny cores or even general purpose sprite engines for future homebrewers/indies to experiment with.

Or an ARM box like Raspberry Pi 2 with modified firmware and an SDK would likely work as an open sourced Indie platform. Raspberry Pi has it's own store for apps and since downloads could be tied to a serial/account, it could someday become a viable marketplace for indie/homebrew games in it's own right. Throw an FPGA on the GPIO bus and now you've got something going for it. A GPIO addon for Retrode is in development. I would back that in a heartbeat.

Regardless, I don't think this IndieGoGo is the end of the road for future homebrew cartridge based systems. Carts will make a comeback just like Vinyl did. Modern homebrew is proof there's a market out there for it. Out of the fiery ashes of the trainwreck of RetroVGS rises the Phoenix of a new platform. Who will create it? What form factor will it have? I have no idea. The future is yet unwritten. :waving:

Edited by stardust4ever

And I re-iterate... this is why these ideas are sadly doomed. You may as well just use Steam or the Playstation store or smartphone to get your own personal fix rather than have 5 different niche people arguing over who's retro dick is of the appropriate age.

This. While I personally love the idea of a Super Sega Megadrive and would actually want to be part of it, mass market audience is another beast altogether.

Is that kinda like how Wal-Mart assumes they will make more sales on Welfare\Social Assistance cheque day? gag.gif

Hah! We do, period. I schedule more cashiers at the beginning of the month. Big sale days for me. WIC checks tend to come due the same time too and they take longer to process so I have to assume for longer wait times at the lanes. It is very rare I have a slow beginning of the month. My store is right near a retirement community and a lot of them clear out when the summer hits, so June-August we might not get hit as hard.

Edited by Algus

Well, I would be interested in a nice looking all-in-one console. Emulation is OK with me, I am tired of sparse save points. I wouldn't mind saving some space, but of course there are still consoles that I want to have in sight.

I am hopeful a device will eventually be released that allows multi-system compatibility (either via hardware or solid/reliable emulation), HDMI video out, uses classic controller ports (without the requirement of dongles/converters), while still looking good in the entertainment center. I want something that generally looks like it belongs with the other modern consoles it sits next to, something that powers up quickly (not a PC), something that has a nice interface (not an Ouya), and with or without the ability to use original carts (SD cards and ROMs only? I'm fine with that, if it's a solid all-in-one solution).

Set yourself up a mini-ITX small set-top-box. There's hundreds of not-PC-looking cases to pick from, or make your own. Yeh, you'll need 4Play or BlissBox, but that's not a big deal. I got BlissBox and IPAC going, shoved them in a cubbyhole corner in the case.

Configure it with SSD and disable all essential services and updates and all that - it won't be going online. XP or 7 is all you need. It'll boot fast. Do a custom desktop and startup screen, and do a nice array of icons representing each system. Pick 1 or 2 emulators for each system you want.

You'll get a comprehensive set of supplementary features in a premium emulation rig such as:

1- Updateable emulator binaries

2- SaveState / LoadStates

3- Screenshots and Audio/Video capture

4- Overclock / underclock / variable frame rates

5- Unlimited configuration capability, game-by-game & global options

6- Readily available replacement and upgrade parts

7- Colossal internal and external storage capability with SD card support

8- Do-it-yourself modular assembly and easy assembly

9- Pause / resume

10- Works with modern DVI-HDI-VGA display devices

11- Simulated and adjustable CRT effects

12- Instant access to games and systems

13- Real genuine quantifiable space savings

14- Consistent and stable display settings

15- Debugger access

16- Cheats, mods, level packs, game patches (all optional)

17- Documentation, manual, box scan, and image repository

18- Extraordinary reliability

19- Easy backup capability

20- Custom console configurations, memory, cpu, disk drives

21- Plays cartridge - tape - disk images

22- Easy transportation

23- Very cost effective

24- Repeatable experience with no degradation

25- Wide range of sound and display hardware choices

26- Ability to organize a game collection by drag'n'drop in a simple tree structure

27- Amenities of a familiar full-function operating system for maintenance and upgrades

28- Provision for benchmarks and performance metrics

29- Ongoing development of many key components

30- Aesthetically pleasing for integration into any environment

31- Eliminates storage tubs and bookcases full of wires and equipment

32- No finicky TV switchbox or intermittent legacy electrical connections

There you have it. 32 advantages to using a real dedicated emulation computer.

Maybe KevTris' system can be that one I'm looking for. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

KevTris and Raspberry Pi systems would make great supplements to a main emulation computer.

• Like 2

Agreed. Nothing but the same old arguments repeated ad nauseum over the last few days. Everyone has their own opinion on why it failed and what needs to change (and I'm guilty of this too) yet there's been very little in the way of new developments, except that video, which has been discected and analysed by all and sundry. My mouse wheel has been getting a real workout recently. From hereon in, it's simply morbid fascination (again, guilty).

An infusion of new blood plus thread veterans that vaguely recall some Atari ET-like tidbit was buried somewhere in the thousands of posts is likely the cause of much of that. I guess also calling out the RVGS team on any morsels they give us that don't fit what they told us.

What exactly is a "Small Playstation"?

At about 0:10:15 of the Game On Expo panel Carlsen mentions this: "I got to design a PlayStation inside its own controller with just some video output."

rbenchley's was a good educated guess, though.

I made a video with my thoughts on this project with an explanation as to why I'm so fascinated by it.

Mike Kennedy or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Retro VGS

Enjoy!

Ah, Retro Land! Interesting idea. Must be why their Crowdcharts "Pleged Daily" chart looks like a more-terrifying version of the world's tallest water slide?

post-39941-0-60282700-1443434007_thumb.jpg

^----- Complains about thread and tells others to move on; continues to post in said thread. -----^

• Like 2

I said this before, and I'll say this again, and I have no ill will towards Mike. He just isn't the guy to lead this Project. Something like this would Need a very brilliant guy on the head, who has a very broad understanding of the different aspects involved. The head would have to be someone with some tech knowledge, at least enought to udnerstand more or less how and why things work in the concole, and with a clue on the whole Marketing side to not make the terrible mistakes Mike did.

I also think they might Need to actually have a couple more People jump on board for real.

The Problem is, if they can't make the System be really good, really atractive to the oldschool gamer and for the new Retro gamer, and still at the 200 Dollars Price range, it's just nor feasible. I payed less than 200 euros for a WiiU, with 2 pacj in games and a Controller. And that Controller is not some cheap chinese ripoff, it's a tablet with it's own Screen.

I know it's different, because they can't sell the Hardware at a loss, and because they work with much smaller numbers. But how do they expect for People to pay more for less just to have These cartridges?

Again, the whole Proposition Needs to be more appealing.

But unfortunately the IGG campaign went up very wrong, the buildup was terrible, and Mikes answer to the whole backlash was even worse. Mike made an enemy of his own supporters, just because HE switched last Minute leaving everyone frustrated.

And when Kevtris came out and talked about some issues (that maybe he should have done differently) Mike instead of trying to fix that, he assumed Kevtris wanted to hurt them and their product. There's nothing written in this Forum that Shows KEv has anything against the RVGS Team or the Project itself. He just pointed some things he finds are serious flaws.

So now it's too late. There's no way they're turing this around anymore. This was a hard Goal to achieve even if it was done right from the start. They couldn't afford tohave These issues.

It's a pitty, because they actually tried I think. And from seeing triverse's interview I think they did have good intentions. But that doesn't fix the fact they just screwed up bad on too many things.

To Close: I still see no reason to be happy about seeing them in this Position. I know some stuff was hilarious, and that there was some disrespect coming from Mike, and that they made some serious mistakes they coildn't afford. But as a part of the community I think as People they do deserve some respect.

Now we have some random idiots on YouTube popping up with their own parody Videos of the whole campaign (I don't mean game escape). People who up to now had said 0 words about this, and are just jumping in the fun bandwagon of bashing a Project they probably don't even understand. That's the ugly side of the gaming community, and I don't Support that.

So yeah. No Idea what's gonna happe, but I can't see much of a good outcome from this. I'd love to Keep discussing with People what possdible Solutions would there be for having what some devs and Gamers seem to want: A simple System to Play Videogames without worries that it's not gonna be around to played in 30 years from now. But to be sincere, as Keatah already said, maybe a Windows 7 PC is already that...

• Like 4