IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

30 years from now...

*Many of us will be dead

*We definitely won't be using analog video, much less HDMI

*We very likely will have undergone some sort of economic fallback or collapse. Kind of hard to pass your beloved precious gaming artefacts on to your children or grandchildren when they are more concerned about their next meal

*There will still be DC-3 aircraft in the air

*You will encounter more unicorn farts than you will RetroVGS consoles

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 5

30 years from now...

*Many of us will be dead

*We definitely won't be using analog video, much less HDMI

*We very likely will have undergone some sort of economic fallback or collapse. Kind of hard to pass your beloved precious gaming artefacts on to your children or grandchildren when they are more concerned about their next meal

*There will still be DC-3 aircraft in the air

*You will encounter more unicorn farts than you will RetroVGS consoles

:lol:

The sad part is, you will most-likely be right.

So for all this talk of porting games to this thing so indie games can have a cart release,

how many orders of magnitude easier would it be for the same indie studio to get nintendo to release it on their perfectly good, current-gen, cartridge-based system?

You know, 'the one wot has their games in all them walmarts and gamestops'

Or, instead of messing with the arm or fpga and the engineering they don't seem to have, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to set up business relationships (which I'd be a lot more confident this team could do) with manufacturers and retail shops to provide the service of publishing/distribution of new carts for a retro system somebody already has--like a SNES. Then, if the strong desire still remains to have a brand new, low-serial system that looks like a rainbow-colored jaguar, call up one of those chinese manufacturers and have them poop out some snes-on-a-chip system boards to toss into a slightly modified case. Spray some glue on it and add sprinkles if desired...

Sure it's harder to port an indie game to SNES than 3ds, but I'd wager it's a lot easier than figuring out how to do it on RVGS.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Surprisingly, I still have it. Figured it would have been gone by now seeing as you can't really get it anymore. NG:DEV Team seems to have mostly abandoned the Dreamcast from what I can tell. Maybe it's just not worth their time, as I'm guessing the profit margin is fairly low on those releases (or maybe they take a while to move, whereas MVS/AES releases seem to sell out immediately). That said, they don't seem to do many (if any, in recent years) reprints of their DC releases.

Cough up a little bit of dough for something like Sony Vegas. I know you're just "small time" right now, but trust me, a ridiculously small $30 - $50 will be one of the best investments you'll make if you want to keep rolling with this in the future.

Do you have your stuff up on iTunes as well as a backup? There shouldn't be any limit to that (or at least I thought).

Yes, Podomatic has it automatically loaded to iTunes.

Also, about the small Playstation comments, I was more interested in the RVGS than I was going off on a tangent about a Sony product. Sure it might have been nice to find out for sure exactly what John was referencing but, well, as you can hear/read in the interview they went on and on about a lot of stuff. I felt no need to get deflected off the subject at hand.

United we stand - divided we fall

Who of the trio will be the first to back out? My money is on Steve.

team6ss1g.png

Everything is awesome

Everything is cool when you're part of a team

Everything is awesome

When you live in our dream

I think if Steve could understand these forums at all and was able to process them, he'd already be gone.

• Like 12

The thought that keeps coming back to me is, if it weren't for cartridges going away in the first place, then we wouldn't have games like Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, Kore+, Tembo: the Badass Elephant etc.

Also, this may be ill-advised, but I actually expect a console to have Netflix, Youtube and wireless controllers. I have never had a respons-time problem with my Wii U Pro Controller or Gamepad. I think the same goes for the 360 controller as well.

Or, instead of messing with the arm or fpga and the engineering they don't seem to have, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to set up business relationships (which I'd be a lot more confident this team could do) with manufacturers and retail shops to provide the service of publishing/distribution of new carts for a retro system somebody already has--like a SNES.

This is exactly what we do and we are pretty good at it :)

• Like 1

Finally! After two days of being stuck in the 90 plus page section, I've caught up to page 121 this morning. Now that Triverse has his interview out, I'm kinda hoping that this post slows down a bit. I agree that we are beyond beating a dead horse. Anyone else think that our witch hunt should be put on pause until future updates are posted (if they do indeed keep going until the campaign ends?). The things I appreciated coming out of this thread were learning that Retrousb/Bunnyboy have been quiet due to his HDMI NES project (which will get my money likely whenever it comes out) and now keeping an eye out on what Kevtris has in store for the future.

Finally! After two days of being stuck in the 90 plus page section, I've caught up to page 121 this morning. Now that Triverse has his interview out, I'm kinda hoping that this post slows down a bit. I agree that we are beyond beating a dead horse. Anyone else think that our witch hunt should be put on pause until future updates are posted (if they do indeed keep going until the campaign ends?). The things I appreciated coming out of this thread were learning that Retrousb/Bunnyboy have been quiet due to his HDMI NES project (which will get my money likely whenever it comes out) and now keeping an eye out on what Kevtris has in store for the future.

I don't think it is mandatory to read the thread? :)

• Like 1

You can feel free to stop beating the dead witch horse. All I see here are valid opinions and people gathering together to sort out facts. Also, a sense of humor you may not be used to with only 4 posts.

Do you have a way to find it in itunes? I tried searching and can't find it. I started listening on youtube, but podcast is way easier at work. Thanks.

Yes, Podomatic has it automatically loaded to iTunes.

Also, about the small Playstation comments, I was more interested in the RVGS than I was going off on a tangent about a Sony product. Sure it might have been nice to find out for sure exactly what John was referencing but, well, as you can hear/read in the interview they went on and on about a lot of stuff. I felt no need to get deflected off the subject at hand.

Also, this may be ill-advised, but I actually expect a console to have Netflix, Youtube and wireless controllers. I have never had a respons-time problem with my Wii U Pro Controller or Gamepad. I think the same goes for the 360 controller as well.

Agreed. Right now, my favorite console is the Playstation TV. I don't like handheld gaming, but I jumped in with the PSTV once they reduced the price. It's a shame that it never caught on as Sony hoped, as it's a nifty little box. The graphics are about halfway between the PS2 and PS3, the cart format provides the quick loading times and durability that the RVGS team is always blathering about, the network connectivity allows for online purchases, patches, DLC and trophies, it supports both PS3 & PS4 controllers, does a little bit of streaming video, you can play PS1 and PSP games, and the box only draws something like 2.5 watts. With the new hack, the number of supported Vita games has increased by a lot and you can even do Netflix (although it's supposed to be a bit of a dog). I wonder how difficult it would be to produce aftermarket cart games for the PSTV? That would be a lot better platform for the demographics that the RVGS is targeting than their vaporware box.

I made a video with my thoughts on this project with an explanation as to why I'm so fascinated by it.

Mike Kennedy or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Retro VGS

Enjoy!

This explains what happened to me. Early on, I allowed myself to go to retro land. He had so much starry eyed optimism. I got caught up in it.

The thing is, Mike really does seem to want all of this to be real.

This is not over for me yet. I need to see how this all plays out. I'm not wanting to dance on the grave, or anything, but I just can't look away.