IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Why this is stated as a matter of fact? Getting FCC approval isn't some magic that is only available for chosen ones, and it does not necessarily cost as much as you can read in the interview. I'm totally sure this won't be the showstopper would kevtris decide to aim retail stores.

John said himself it doesn't cost 50k... You know, the guy who actually knows something about FCC regulations..

I don't WANT to Keep bashing Mike, but damn... It's one after the other. He even said the MIST doesn't have a case, that it's not ready for end user.. It does have a case. AS far as I've seen, if you can put some files in an SD Card you'll be ready to go. It's not a super complex electronics hobyist product.

And he complains about People spreading misinformation about his product...

I liked the original proposed concept, then it became a train wreck, I was at least hoping in the end a console or device that at the very least even if it failed might be useful to hack or play with running your own code or emulators or maybe stuff provided by homebrewers. After the price of entry increase and insane funding goals well.......at the very least it has been a source for an incredible thread and hilarious parodies like THIS, at least in this way RVGS is already providing entertainment.

https://youtu.be/miech2DIWuM

Gotta quote that vid for a moment...

That the nostalgia S.H.I.T. will deliver red graphics, red monochromatic graphics. That is not accurate, they are more of a ruby.

:lolblue: :lol: :rolling: :lolblue: :lol:

• Like 4

An interesting juxtaposition, RVGS and Manos. I get the impression that Mike Kennedy is the Harold "don't worry, we can fix everything in post-production" Warren of classic gaming. I'd say go with Manos. It's not as if the RVGS campaign is in danger of catching fire anytime soon.

LOVE the reference! I watch the place when the Master is away...

• Like 1

OK, how's this (they've now put some real specs on the IGG page) ...

After spending months of decrying any comparison between the RETRO VGS and the Ouya ...

RETRO VGS OUYA

CPU 1.6GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9 1.7GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9

RAM 1GB DDR3-800 1GB DDR3-800

PROTOTYPE Manufacturer's SoC eval board Manufacturer's SoC eval board

OS We won't have one (NetBSD?) Android

CONTROLLER Yes Yes

CARTRIDGE Yes No

COST $300 $100

Ouch!

....... the 32 bit emulation station VGS for $350 retail PLUS cart adapters is so absurd you may as well dispel their delusions of grandeur and not waste your breath defending them......

The goal of them being able to have 16 or 32 bit FGPA core emulation is only if they are able to obtain the further $3.8million stretch goals on indiegogo.

From their indiegogo website:

"Unprecedented Flexibility

At $3,100,000—about 60% more than our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!

At $3,800,000—less than twice our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA again, nearly doubling its size from the previous goal."

• Like 1

I don't think it is mandatory to read the thread? :)

Oh yes, it is! Every last post, and watch every linked video to completion, crappy music videos excepted. I'm OCD like that. Been 7 pages behind the past three days, now I am at 121 out of 124. The slowdown will give me a much needed pause. I am neglecting homework right now to play catch up. I have a scantron take home practice exam due to turn in at 1:00pm tomorrow, but for some reason I have to spend every waking hour, reading posting, contributing, and "liking" stuff I think is either clever, funny, or meaningful. I have used up my allotment of likes 3 days in a row now. Maybe the fact I don't use facebook is a blessing. A single thread on AA has done more than enough to keep me occupied lately.

• Like 2

The goal of them being able to have 16 or 32 bit FGPA core emulation is only if they are able to obtain the further $3.8million stretch goals on indiegogo.

From their indiegogo website:

"Unprecedented Flexibility

At $3,100,000—about 60% more than our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!

At $3,800,000—less than twice our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA again, nearly doubling its size from the previous goal."

Sorry, my post was unclear, I meant "32 bits" as in a general strength of what their hardware will be in terms of the average graphics the system will likely output. They've also gone back and forth saying FPGA isn't necessarily only for the stretch goals; again they just keep making shit up so it's hard to keep track off.

At this point, I'm just getting my own jollies in figuring out how they could make the go-to-be-all-end-all retro station; up to Neo Geo FPGA, their own carts, SD for roms and updates. Whatever that'll cost 'em would be ideal. With nearly every meaningful retro system outputting in HDMI and their own carts for the collectors, plus factoring in emulation for everyone in general.

I guess this is mostly aimed at Greg2600 but is also just a general commentary on how I feel about this situation at this point.

If the RVGS guys are making a console that can be sold at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. then they should be able to get venture capital to fund their start-up. They expect us to collectively take the same risk that a venture capitalist would take, but we get none of the potential reward (a piece of the company). I'm not going to spend time typing out the reasons that this isn't like most crowdfunding campaigns that have a product, but just need to generate pre-orders to fund production.

Mike Kennedy is trying to act like some kind of Steve Jobs of the retrogaming world. He's a nice enough guy, and I've been defending him to a degree in this thread, but as much as I understand him to love retrogaming, it is also obvious that he looks at this community with dollar signs in his eyes. How often does he come here just to shoot the shit with his fellow retrogamers? He comes here mostly to promote his latest ventures.

My opinion of the man has changed markedly in the past couple of weeks. He has no problem collectively throwing us under the bus, blaming us for his failed business venture, and lashing out at YouTubers who dare to question what he's doing.

I personally support Kevtris because he is making a hobbyist system, by hobbyists and for hobbyists. It was never about the price for me. Comparing people here supporting Kevtris vs. not supporting the RVGS is total apples & oranges.

You managed to summarise my feelings on the issue completely. I guess Kevtris potential product is more aimed at the crowd who are happy to shell out a bit of money buying everdrives, RGB out modifications etc because we love our old systems so much and are willing to buy well-designed hobbyist products that extend the capabilities of these older systems. These kind of products are finished, resolved and market ready. They aren't designed to rake in millions for the niche market, but to fairly compensate the creators for innovative tech.

P.S I really enjoy your youtube channel by the way. I didn't really connect the dots that you were the content creator of it until you said something about your "beloved youtube channel" and I clicked on your profile icon.

• Like 4

I feel the whole patent push they're trying here is to prevent clones from being created. Which, I do imagine that companies like Hyperkin, Retrobit and the other clone producers would quickly churn out cheaper knockoffs of the RVGS if it was a blazing success. Sadly for John, you can't patent hopes and dreams.

P.S I really enjoy your youtube channel by the way. I didn't really connect the dots that you were the content creator of it until you said something about your "beloved youtube channel" and I clicked on your profile icon.

Thanks, man! I really appreciate that. Thanks for watching!

Edited by Jibbajaba

Sorry, my post was unclear, I meant "32 bits" as in a general strength of what their hardware will be in terms of the average graphics the system will likely output. They've also gone back and forth saying FPGA isn't necessarily only for the stretch goals; again they just keep making shit up so it's hard to keep track off.

At this point, I'm just getting my own jollies in figuring out how they could make the go-to-be-all-end-all retro station; up to Neo Geo FPGA, their own carts, SD for roms and updates. Whatever that'll cost 'em would be ideal. With nearly every meaningful retro system outputting in HDMI and their own carts for the collectors, plus factoring in emulation for everyone in general.

no worries mate. The funny thing is that now that they have chosen to switch to software emulation only, and to only use the FGPA for basic functions etc, their indie gogo is skating on the edges of being misleading, by saying:

"we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!"

Being upfront with potential investors of the crowdfunding campaign is pretty lacking. From the text they chose, it's a bit confusing to the point of misleading if the minimum goal of funding includes the FGPA cores. They also re-affirm that no prototype PCB is close to being done by saying the plans include:

"2016 Q1 - 2016 Q3 : Phase 3

• Revise design of circuits and PCB to build and test beta prototype systems"

no worries mate. The funny thing is that now that they have chosen to switch to software emulation only, and to only use the FGPA for basic functions etc, their indie gogo is skating on the edges of being misleading, by saying:

"we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!"

Being upfront with potential investors of the crowdfunding campaign is pretty lacking. From the text they chose, it's a bit confusing to the point of misleading if the minimum goal of funding includes the FGPA cores. They also re-affirm that no prototype PCB is close to being done by saying the plans include:

"2016 Q1 - 2016 Q3 : Phase 3

• Revise design of circuits and PCB to build and test beta prototype systems"

Wait, with worrying about FCC and patents and all that stuff and they're doing what the Retron 5 did which is technically illegal anyways?

How can people launch a IGG without knowing what they're doing? Like what person in their right minds would ever do this? I understand altering small things, especially if your campaign is more successful than you thought, but they have changed this system 100 times in a week.

I guess this is mostly aimed at Greg2600 but is also just a general commentary on how I feel about this situation at this point.

If the RVGS guys are making a console that can be sold at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. then they should be able to get venture capital to fund their start-up. They expect us to collectively take the same risk that a venture capitalist would take, but we get none of the potential reward (a piece of the company). I'm not going to spend time typing out the reasons that this isn't like most crowdfunding campaigns that have a product, but just need to generate pre-orders to fund production.

Mike Kennedy is trying to act like some kind of Steve Jobs of the retrogaming world. He's a nice enough guy, and I've been defending him to a degree in this thread, but as much as I understand him to love retrogaming, it is also obvious that he looks at this community with dollar signs in his eyes. How often does he come here just to shoot the shit with his fellow retrogamers? He comes here mostly to promote his latest ventures.

My opinion of the man has changed markedly in the past couple of weeks. He has no problem collectively throwing us under the bus, blaming us for his failed business venture, and lashing out at YouTubers who dare to question what he's doing.

I personally support Kevtris because he is making a hobbyist system, by hobbyists and for hobbyists. It was never about the price for me. Comparing people here supporting Kevtris vs. not supporting the RVGS is total apples & oranges.

This post is so good, I had to like it and quote it.

• Like 1

Catching up on this thread from earlier today, I was on my phone and well, we all know how I sound using it to reply to comments.

Bretthorror, you mentioned this:

"And they're not guaranteeing any but a 2600 core if I read correctly, everything else they're going to make up on the fly as evident through their entire campaign."

Where are they guaranteeing a 2600 core? In my interview with them, John explicitly states that the base FPGA ($1.95 million in funding level) will NOT support any kind of classic console emulation/replication.

Thank you, Flojomojo, for finding the link to the podcast. Much appreciated.

Jibbajaba, if you want to talk more about RETRO mag, shoot me a PM. It is an interesting read and could be the subject of a future interview or something.

Shiru, there are plenty of Chinese android hand held manufacturers that have FCC approval and sell their quad core 1+ gig of RAM 7 inch devices for about $150 or so. It is not THAT expensive

Whomever said that RETRO needs to add my interview to their IGG, thank you for that vote of confidence but I believe they feel it probably does more damage than good for their cause. I didn't go into this interview with an agenda other than getting answers to questions. I believe I got them, and a little more.

• Like 3

One thing that I'm not sure people know about it, but wanted to mention since DRM-Free games were brought up:

You CAN play your Steam games in offline mode (without a net connection). Yes, that means you can't update or get achievements, and you have to have it downloaded. But the games will work just fine with just the Steam program (which is really just a bunch of files) with no need for a net connection.

Designing a console that you want to play 'modern' games (retro or otherwise) in today's market without a means to access the net is just stupid.

• Like 2

If I'm being totally honest, I've never read a single issue of Retro. I backed it purely because I thought it was a good idea, and then re-upped my sub for the same reason. I think that all of my issues are still sealed in their little plastic mailer baggies. Not because I'm trying to keep them "collectible" but because I just read Retro Gamer instead. According to some, the magazine ain't that great. So why not work on improving and expanding it? Retro Gamer exports their magazine to the US, and Barnes & Noble carries it, so it must be at least moderately successful (and it's something like $14 per issue!) So are you telling me that Retro has hit its ceiling? He had some big names writing for it, like folks from USGamer (ex-EGM folks). Work on getting the magazine into b&m stores and try to actually turn a profit on it.

Yeah, I like what Parish etc are writing, and Kohler's collecting columns have been a fun read. As far as brick and mortar stores go, RETRO is available at Barnes & Noble and various local game shops now.

Still wish Retro Gamer had the $50 US subscription plan going, that was a hell of a deal.

"And they're not guaranteeing any but a 2600 core if I read correctly, everything else they're going to make up on the fly as evident through their entire campaign."
Where are they guaranteeing a 2600 core? In my interview with them, John explicitly states that the base FPGA ($1.95 million in funding level) will NOT support any kind of classic console emulation/replication.

Based on the amount of changing of their minds (apparently being transparent is a good thing?), my mode of operation on this is:

- If it's not on their Indiegogo main page, I don't believe it.

- Also, I don't assume anything. If they don't show me or tell me something explicitly, or if something they show or tell me is open to interpretation in any way, it doesn't exist to me. For example, when they say, "capable of recreating classic systems", that does not tell me that it "will" recreate classic systems. It also doesn't tell me how it would do this, or who could make it do this.

/That's just me.

• Like 1

Their Facebook page has been censored to oblivion, anything critical has been removed, but anything sucking up to them is still there, so it doesn't make any sense. The Pac-Man avatar person who volunteered to be their moderator/enforcer/cheerleader looks like he's talking to himself.

He, Kevin B and Roberta are my favorite 3 uber fans. There are a few more but they're easily the most entertaining. I believe he called me Jackie Chan, lol. I regret telling so many of my friends about the RVGS before the IGG launch. I feel like I owe all of my friends I told about this an apology and a payment for any emotional damages.

My conspiracy theory is still that all these face-less facebook posts and people using animals or video games as profile pictures are just Mike Kennedy himself with zero filter for his bs. Its just too coincidence they have next to no "friends" and mostly new accounts for me.

Edited by InnovaX5
  • Like 3

Catching up on this thread from earlier today, I was on my phone and well, we all know how I sound using it to reply to comments.
Thank you, Flojomojo, for finding the link to the podcast. Much appreciated.
Jibbajaba, if you want to talk more about RETRO mag, shoot me a PM. It is an interesting read and could be the subject of a future interview or something.
Shiru, there are plenty of Chinese android hand held manufacturers that have FCC approval and sell their quad core 1+ gig of RAM 7 inch devices for about $150 or so. It is not THAT expensive
Whomever said that RETRO needs to add my interview to their IGG, thank you for that vote of confidence but I believe they feel it probably does more damage than good for their cause. I didn't go into this interview with an agenda other than getting answers to questions. I believe I got them, and a little more.

I can't even remember at this point, but I think it was an interview where they specifically mention the 2600 expansion. It's been so back and worth with this stuff I can't remember when was what and what was when, but they also said in an interview that they don't need over their regular goal necessarily to include FPGA. In fact, it could have been from the same portion of one interview. Unless I misunderstood what they were saying. I'm sure it was the yappy guy who mentioned it, not the more deep voiced, succinct one of the bunch. Then again, I could have misunderstood. I know you're taking this more seriously than me in keeping things straight, I'm kind of just watching something I was rooting for go up in flames.