IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

It looks like there's going to be a lot of fallout for Mike over what has been happening the last couple weeks. Not only is there a strong suggestion that Mike may not be doing the Top 10 with Scott and UK Mike on RGR any longer, but Willie from the Colecovisions Podcast just posted a episode this morning where he talked about some changes to the podcast and while he said Gamester81 was still going to be with the podcast he never mentioned Mike's name. Hum..... :ponder:

Yes, a public apology from Mike would go a long way. I still like him but he burned a lot of bridges here.

• Like 1

Another masterpiece from Game Escape! I was almost sorry the campaign was ending because I was hoping for at least one more parody, so I'm glad to see this concluding chapter ... and after seeing all of these, I'll never look at my Virtual Boy the same way again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1SSXcnQGhA

• Like 13

Pretty sure that second quote is about us (Digital Eclipse/Other Ocean). We never agreed to any kind of partnership, but I wouldn't exactly say this is misleading either, as we told Mike and Steve that we're totally open to providing software support if and when the numbers make sense (aka, we have reason to believe we'll make money). We gave them some ideas for cool things to do and wished them luck, is how I remember it going down.

Just wanted to throw that out there because while I think this campaign had a lot of issues, I have never believed Mike to be a scammer or an outright liar, and it's kind of upsetting to see people take that stance.

Thankyou for shedding light on the confusion / claims made about the project. I don't see Mike as a scammer, just someone with his head more in the clouds than in the financial reality and hard facts to promise backers. I admire his vision, I just wish that he would have been clearer about what is happening, rather than what he would like/dream to happen.

I am happy to admit I the use of the word "misleading", might of suggested he intended to string us along.

The damage is done for me. I was all for giving Mike a second chance before he started burning bridges with the community. Does me not shelling out money for the RVGS matter? No, don't be silly I'm just one person. Should anyone care that I won't back them? No. Am I going try to stop anyone form backing their product? No.

I hope all the Chris Cs, Roberta Ws, and Kevin Bs out there get the console of their dreams if and when round two with Kickstarter happens.

As for me, I'm happy that this train wreck happened. I found this amazing community that is full of brilliant talented people. I'll be sticking around for sure.

• Like 6

The thing is, Nintendo didn't start with the Super Nintendo. They launched the NES which was more economical at the time (there were plenty of 16-Bit CPU's available at about this time that could do A LOT more than the 8-Bit NES CPU but they weren't economical and Nintendo knew this). Sega didn't start with the Saturn. They all started with what they could get at a price that people would pay. Personally, I think the RETRO VGS team ended up trying to jump past that first generation of hardware and go straight to the "cooler" 2nd generation platform (and the price that comes with).

The original $100 or so system that was touted for a long time was their "1st gen" system. They dropped that at some point and we got the $300+ RETRO VGS. As Mike said in my interview, http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/09/27/rgm-interview-with-retro-vgs-team-unofficial-copy-from-audio-interview/, they need to crawl before they walk.

Nintendo started out as a card company in 1889, that's how long it took them to get to the stage they are at now

• Like 1

Nintendo started out as a card company in 1889, that's how long it took them to get to the stage they are at now

You know what I mean. When they got into video game hardware it wasn't with the expensive option, they went economical with it. I am sure they were just as frugal with their cards when they were making those too. It is good business sense to make what will sell, not what you want.

• Like 1

It's telling that you had to edit at least two of your posts saying you don't like me. Why is that? And why's it hard to explain? 'cause I get stuff done or because I tried to crush the Retroland dreams during development by saying stuff was too expensive and nonviable in the marketplace?

Re: Retroland, every time I see that I think of that "Carpetland USA" commercial's jingle.

Retroland USA! <do do dooo>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXgpQEOc6mE"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Kevtris. You have been pretty controlled to keep things quiet over last few days whilst the ship was sinking. I wish you all the best with your future endevours. Looking forward to seeing the Hi-defnes and any other projects from you in the future

Someone pointed out on another forum:

HAHA! someone backed this for $1 three hours ago. From what I understand of IGG you can't cancel a campaign once it's made any money. It would be hilarious if they got everyone to ask for a refund but that $1 pledge stayed until the very end.

Why would that be funny? Give the guys a fucking break.

• Like 9

Someone pointed out on another forum:

HAHA! someone backed this for $1 three hours ago. From what I understand of IGG you can't cancel a campaign once it's made any money. It would be hilarious if they got everyone to ask for a refund but that $1 pledge stayed until the very end.

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/527416-Deleting-a-Campaign

I found that out from google. I feel sorry for the people who have money tied up in this thing now.

Edited by InnovaX5

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/527416-Deleting-a-Campaign

I found that out from google. I feel sorry for the people who have money tied up in this thing now.

... ouch. I get that the team didn't really read the finer details of the crowdfunding terms. The guys should be allowed to admit defeat at respectfully move on from the project by enabling them to end the campaign early.

You know what I mean. When they got into video game hardware it wasn't with the expensive option, they went economical with it. I am sure they were just as frugal with their cards when they were making those too. It is good business sense to make what will sell, not what you want.

Nintendo was always about using mature technology in innovative ways. It was never about the newest/fastest/better tech, it was about taking mature (often outdated) tech, and reworking it into some novel application. It started with Game & Watch and cheap LCD tech, and went up from there.

Another masterpiece from Game Escape! I was almost sorry the campaign was ending because I was hoping for at least one more parody, so I'm glad to see this concluding chapter ... and after seeing all of these, I'll never look at my Virtual Boy the same way again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1SSXcnQGhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THz7BJsoDA

• Like 2

Nintendo was always about using mature technology in innovative ways. It was never about the newest/fastest/better tech, it was about taking mature (often outdated) tech, and reworking it into some novel application. It started with Game & Watch and cheap LCD tech, and went up from there.

I disagree. Nintendo usually pushed "newest/faster/better tech." They only really started to back off that approach with the Wii, which was when they were making the switch more to "novel application."

I disagree. Nintendo usually pushed "newest/faster/better tech." They only really started to back off that approach with the Wii, which was when they were making the switch more to "novel application."

Well I guess we disagree. The way I see it, Game & Watch was all about cheap and plentiful LCDs from the pocket calculator manufacturing industry of the 70s, NES was not cutting edge tech in 83, neither was Gameboy, all the way up to Wii/Wii U. The only system I see of theirs that was opposite that approach was maybe the 3DS, but I think they were banking on cheaper 3D before Japanese cell phones started dropping 3D displays altogether.

• Like 2