IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Believe me, AVGN is REALLY hoping this thing gets released!

I can see it now, "This piece of rat-feces-infested nobody-gives-a-shit hunk of indie-dung only has like 7 or 8 games and they are all buggy ports of games you can get on other consoles. I mean look at this bug! It's like the developers weren't even told they were supposed to make the game bug free the first time!"

Lol, yeah,

So, the RVGS is a good way to find out if you belong to the powers that be or not.

The idea of a retro emulation/simulation console doesn't excite me. I already have the original hardware and a modded Xbox.

What could be interesting is a new game machine, catering to 16-bit games. One route is to acquire the rights to the 3DO, and re-produce it, but use flash instead of an optical drive. Put compact flash in a cartridge and make the cartridge port a hot swappable IDE port. I could see that having some fun games to play, especially since the 3DO supported 8 players. In this scenario you really wouldn't want to mention the 3DO name because of it's failures, but it would give you a base hardware and minimize feature creep. Plus, have the pack in cartridge be a cartridge with flash and wifi that would let you connect to an online store to buy/download games, much like how the Wii works. Getting people to pay $40 for a game would be pretty tough, but downloading it for $5?

Over the next year, the $9 CHIP computer will be released, which will open up all sorts of new devices. Hardware today is not a problem. Software and execution is.

The idea of a retro emulation/simulation console doesn't excite me. I already have the original hardware and a modded Xbox.

What could be interesting is a new game machine, catering to 16-bit games. One route is to acquire the rights to the 3DO, and re-produce it, but use flash instead of an optical drive. Put compact flash in a cartridge and make the cartridge port a hot swappable IDE port. I could see that having some fun games to play, especially since the 3DO supported 8 players. In this scenario you really wouldn't want to mention the 3DO name because of it's failures, but it would give you a base hardware and minimize feature creep. Plus, have the pack in cartridge be a cartridge with flash and wifi that would let you connect to an online store to buy/download games, much like how the Wii works. Getting people to pay $40 for a game would be pretty tough, but downloading it for $5?

Over the next year, the $9 CHIP computer will be released, which will open up all sorts of new devices. Hardware today is not a problem. Software and execution is.

Who the heck is going to make software in the year 2015 that only runs on 3DO specs? And how could they support themselves for $5 a game?

• Like 5

How most of the residents of San Fran and Berkeley do, ebegging for Patreonbux.

I happen to live and make games in the Bay Area, and I happen to have game developer friends who make their living on Patreon because the kinds of things they make have a small audience and aren't commercially viable. It's a great way for artists to make the things they want to make, and for patrons to support the development of things they want to play, and I don't understand why you feel the need to reduce this ecosystem that has nothing to do with you to "begging." I find this post to be ignorant and insulting, and way out of context for this discussion.

• Like 4

Self-interested and self-serving statements are meaningless. I know that's a hard thing to understand for a former game journo, but I believe you used to work for Dan Hsu, so maybe you ought to know better.

Lots of hobbyists make things for very small audiences without getting on hipster welfare.

• Like 1

I happen to live and make games in the Bay Area, and I happen to have game developer friends who make their living on Patreon because the kinds of things they make have a small audience and aren't commercially viable. It's a great way for artists to make the things they want to make, and for patrons to support the development of things they want to play, and I don't understand why you feel the need to reduce this ecosystem that has nothing to do with you to "begging." I find this post to be ignorant and insulting, and way out of context for this discussion.

I think when you are asking for not only your entire start-up cost but also to pay your salary then it is definitely begging.

• Like 1

You may want to tell your friends about this, unless they were notified.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/02/patreon-hack-data-dump/

I believe Mike wanted my help with industrial design but yes, I didn't think it sounded like a good idea and never really followed up.

The Ouya has poisoned the well for any project crowdfunded like this (and even that was a much better concept) It failed for the same reason - lack of original content and what content there was didn't sell very well at all, driving developers away.

There are loads of homebrew games already being made (and sold here!) that work on consoles you already have. RVGS was a classic "solution in search of a problem"

Ben, are you reminded of a certain thread(or 3) on pinside of a certain pre-ordered(er, crowdfunded or whatever) set of 3 pinball machines that never surfaced after 4 years? :) This thread never ends either!

This thread is finished.

...Or at least should be.

It will never die, and it's epicness (excluding OT and troll threads) is only dwarfed by the ET landfill adventures thread. Though I must admit, not having 7+ pages to slog through per day is a welcome relief! :P

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 3

I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and thought I'd join to take part in this thread. I've also been a fan of Retrogaming Roundup since its inception, and noticed they've just removed most mentions of Kennedy from their site and Facebook - although he officially left as one of the main team a while back, he was still listed as a co-host until a couple days ago. He did take part in their regular top 10 in the brand new episode (#92), though, presumably recorded before the indiegogo went live, and it was kind of amusing to hear him complain about the service he received from someone selling a Vectrex game:

[at about the 2:51:50 mark]:

I pre-ordered this thing about three or four years ago and the guy still hasn’t delivered it. He yells at you if you inquire where the game is. This is the guy -- I mean, everybody hates this guy! I mean, I don’t know what his problem is. I mean, they don’t hate the guy, but it’s like… you know, I paid seventy bucks for this I think three, four… maybe five years ago, and I still haven’t got it. And you email the guy and you inquire about it and he yells at you and threatens to give you a refund. And I’m like, “just give me the goddam game!”

Although there might be a bit of retrospective schadenfreude in hearing that now, my take on the VGS affair - like some on here - is that he did not intend to deliberately scam anyone with the system. I don't know him personally, but I've been listening to his broadcasts for years (on Retrogaming Roundup, and before that Retrogaming Radio), and he does seem to be someone genuinely passionate about the hobby. At the same time, it has been a running joke on RGRU that SoCalMike is not always the sharpest person, and he's been prone to misspeaking, dropping solecisms and just generally letting his excitement about something get in the way of clarity. My impression of him has always been that he embodies both the highs and lows of the American dream - he has a real entrepreneurial spirit and a drive to turn his passion for gaming into a business (which is certainly no bad thing). However, I don't really think he has the business acumen to be the leader of some of these projects - working hard and talking up a big game aren't the only requirements for success. I subscribed to the first year of Retro magazine and I had several problems with issues arriving late, and in one case not at all. This lack of organization - coupled with the pre-order price point of the RGS - killed my interest in backing the console. And yet... there's still part of me that could be won over if they properly regroup and get that price down. I think he's a good guy, and I'd like to support his ventures, but I really hope he steps back at least a little with the management moving forward.

Edited by sneame
  • Like 4

I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and thought I'd join to take part in this thread. I've also been a fan of Retrogaming Roundup since its inception, and noticed they've just removed most mentions of Kennedy from their site and Facebook - although he officially left as one of the main team a while back, he was still listed as a co-host until a couple days ago.

So it seems they have officially parted ways. Interestingly, on their twitter, they claim someone took back their RVGS campaign refund and donated it in whole to these guys, so there might be a tale to tell there, or maybe they thought Mike was still involved and really wanted to not have that $350 in their own pocket.

Looking further down they also tweeted the SH.IT parodies and a drunk Mike video.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 1

Having passion and excitement and getting carried away is one thing. Calling someone with legitimate concerns and questions a hater or a troll who throws you under the buss is something different. I just don't know if I can support this, even if he comes back with a working product that actually does something I'm interested in...

So it seems they have officially parted ways. Interestingly, on their twitter, they claim someone took back their RVGS campaign refund and donated it in whole to these guys, so there might be a tale to tell there, or maybe they thought Mike was still involved and really wanted to not have that $350 in their own pocket.

Looking further down they also tweeted the SH.IT parodies and a drunk Mike vide

Looking further down they also tweeted the SH.IT parodies and a drunk Mike video.

Ya, Mike has left podcasting all together now. He no longer does ColecoVisions either, so now the show is down to Gamester81 and myself. But I totally understand and have talked to mike numerous times and still support him as a friend. RGRU is not the same for me without Mike on there, I really liked the Atarewind, it came from Mame, Game hunter stuff he did on he show. Plus the top 10's. I hope as time goes by, forgiveness will be given and a awesome retro guy will come back into the community.

• Like 1

Just saw this. Wouldn't this be quite similar to what the RETRO VGS was going for?

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/339-mcc-216-vga-amiga-c64-and-more-consoles.html

I know this is missing a few things that the RETRO VGS offered.

Coming at it from a slightly more warezy/cart-free angle, but yeah, that's got a tiny bit of the RVGS kind of functionality it seems.

Googled and found this site. That site mentions a user here NML32. Seems he's posted about this on AA.

Edited by sh3-rg

It depends on what the retrovgs was going for :)

Coming at it from a slightly more warezy/cart-free angle, but yeah, that's got a tiny bit of the RVGS kind of functionality it seems.

Googled and found this site. That site mentions a user here NML32. Seems he's posted about this on AA.

Member ´retrogamingfan´ posted about the mcc-216 too, 5 years ago: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/168299-atari-2600-is-back/?hl=+mcc#8208216&page=1

Here is a fascinating story from the "It Runs Doom" blog about "Tyrannosaurus Tex," an innovative, unreleased first person shooter for the Game Boy Color. It has drama, code theft, publisher intrigue, and a nice lesson in specific reasons why proprietary cartridge hardware kinda sucks.

http://www.nintendoplayer.com/unreleased/tyrannosaurus-tex/

• Like 1

It depends on what the retrovgs was going for :)

Member ´retrogamingfan´ posted about the mcc-216 too, 5 years ago: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/168299-atari-2600-is-back/?hl=+mcc#8208216&page=1

Wow, that thing looks like it would have been cool at the time, in an analog kind of way. Of course, software emulation is easier, cheape, and from the forum feedback, probably better.

It seems hard to argue for FPGA hardware unless it's significantly more faithful to the original media than software.

The sheer amount of homebrewers and hardware makers that I've found because of the RETRO VGS fail has been great. Not so great for my bank account, because I've prolly spent around the price of a RVGS on homebrew games and such in the last week or two. That was my silver lining from this IGG abortion.

I don't wish anything bad on Mike, Steve, or John. Just, no matter what they come back with for round two - I won't support them. I certainly won't be telling my friends to support them either. Fool me once, shame on me. You don't get the chance to fool me again. My loss if its the coolest console in the world.

• Like 8