IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Waaiiit a minute... :ponder:

attachicon.gifif-at-first-you-dont-succeed.jpg

Alright, now that made me laugh pretty hard!

Also, if you read their pitch the whole thing is a scam because it isn't a "laser" at all.

The demo below was made using our working prototype in our lab. The fiber you see in this video is made free hand in our lab using limited resources.

The production model will be using a high performance precision manufactured fiber, only possible with mass production automated machinery.

This fiber in this video can only be mounted with rudimentary means, this mean it’s not robust. The production model will have a fiber rigidly mounted along the entire cutting edge. The laser beam is contained inside the fiber & is also well below eye safe levels. Notice the flashes as it cuts. This is the shaving light escaping the fiber into the hair. The light doesn't enter the skin & will not cause any skin damage. Sometimes the hair is cut but lightly fuses back onto the hair shaft. This is resolved by gently brushing. Your support will enable us to secure the high performance & rigidly mounted fiber that can only be manufactured through mass production

So it's more like a little fiber optic cable, not a laser. You can get the same "flashes" if you sprinkle bread crumbs over a red hot electric stove. Part of what sells this product is the idea that you buy it once and you don't have to replace anything for the rest of your life, it justifies the price. But do they offer a lifetime warranty on the fiber?

BTW, Kennedy is considering doing a run of red Jaguar console tops for anyone who may be interested.

Awww, ya see?! So it all worked out in the end. Gamers will still get to see physical indie releases with Limited Run Games, FPGA emulation could very well happen with Kevtris' console, and Mike gets to do what he wanted to do all along- sell collectible plastic.

• Like 2

Also, if you read their pitch the whole thing is a scam because it isn't a "laser" at all.

The production model will have a fiber rigidly mounted along the entire cutting edge. The laser beam is contained inside the fiber & is also well below eye safe levels. Notice the flashes as it cuts. This is the shaving light escaping the fiber into the hair. The light doesn't enter the skin & will not cause any skin damage. Sometimes the hair is cut but lightly fuses back onto the hair shaft. This is resolved by gently brushing. Your support will enable us to secure the high performance & rigidly mounted fiber that can only be manufactured through mass production

It sounds like a cheese slicer for your face.

Awww, ya see?! So it all worked out in the end. Gamers will still get to see physical indie releases with Limited Run Games, FPGA emulation could very well happen with Kevtris' console, and Mike gets to do what he wanted to do all along- sell collectible plastic.

He's apparently thinking of making red tops and to go with the original black bottoms. Hey, that will make the Jaguar look a lot like the Nostalgia SH-IT!

• Like 6

He's apparently thinking of making red tops and black bottoms. Hey, that will make the Jaguar look a lot like the Nostalgia SH-IT!

That RVGS Prototype isn't going to pay for itself. Remember it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a working prototype. After all, the first 2-3 prototypes don't even work! John Carlsen told us how he drained his entire bank account to get the RVGS Laboratory and prototype up and running. Mike needs to sell 2500 Jaguar shells to even come close to achieving a new working RVGS prototype.

I really do hope he considers selling some of the translucent colored shells from the cg renders he has up. Its about the only thing I'd pay him for.

• Like 3

Forget cartridge collecting. Console case collecting is where it's at.

I think this was the subtle part of the Retro VGS and all the talk of patents: they wanted to be a little baby Nintendo of America and be the gate keepers of super rare numbered limited edition carts with translucent shells to sell to collectards more interested in a shelf trophy than playing games, since most of the games would be indy releases on steam, etc.

• Like 1

Forget cartridge collecting. Console case collecting is where it's at.

Not gonna lie, for a while I've been wondering if an ITX pc can fit in a Jaguar case.

I think this was the subtle part of the Retro VGS and all the talk of patents: they wanted to be a little baby Nintendo of America and be the gate keepers of super rare numbered limited edition carts with translucent shells to sell to collectards more interested in a shelf trophy than playing games, since most of the games would be indy releases on steam, etc.

Let me tell you about a little place called Retro Land....

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 6

Not gonna lie, for a while I've been wondering if an ITX pc can fit in a Jaguar case.

Me too. I've thought about adding a VESA mount to the bottom of one of my white Jag cases and seeing how it would fit on the back of a PC monitor. It could be useful as an enclosure for a thin client or a light-duty gaming-oriented computer. Something like that would be a more realistic project to replace the RVGS, in my opinion.

If the ITX don't fit, there are smaller boards available.

I'm just brainstorming here, but this has given me some ideas for a more practical way forward for the RVGS project: reconceiving it as a game-oriented/emulation-oriented PC with a cartridge option.

I think the best solution would be to design a new board specifically for the Jag case. If the RVGS team likes the idea of adding DB9 ports for Genesis-compatible controllers, just integrate a USB adapter right onto the board! If they like the idea of cartridges, transform the cartridge port into a PCI Express expansion slot and put a small SSD in the cartridge. If they make it a full computer, rather than a proprietary console, they can position it as an emulation platform as well as a platform for cartridge-based games, only in this case, the cartridges would contain a full embedded OS image to bootstrap the games. (Of course, there should also be a local SSD inside the system so that, if a cartridge is not present, the machine can boot from that and run whatever OS the user wants to install.)

What you suggest is certainly doable. My emulation rig has that capability. There's lots of options for cartridge-like operation even if you stick to contemporary storage devices of today:

1- standard SSD in a removable tray/cart

2- SD card slot

3- M.2 mounted in a removable tray/cart

4- traditional PCIe SSD, though you end up with a NeoGeo sized cartridge.

You know with all the versatility and computational power available in small form factor systems, I see little need for dedicated cartridge consoles anymore. Developers should be focusing efforts there and not re-inventing the wheel.

The nostalgia and good times and genuine true retrogames are strictly in the domain of systems past, like Intellivision, VCS, Colecovision, NES, 5200.. Trying to rebuild and recapture that overall atmosphere & experience in a modern system is inherently flawed in today's climate. Especially with the instilled preconceived expectations of today's users borne out of smartphones and tablets(1). IMHO it's a bust no matter how you slice it.

Part of the warm fuzzy homely feeling of the first systems is the act of collecting and building of a library of neat and unique cartridges. Collecting and building a library on unique media. Wait! Did I just contradict myself? No. Kids aren't going to chase after cartridges like we did because they have immediate and instant digital downloads. No matter if the content is shit. They don't care. So building a library today isn't the same. It will feel limiting to anyone that tries.

(1) it is good to see that the PC sales are picking up slightly at the expense of tablets. You need a PC to create content. It's not that a tablet's hardware isn't capable of content creation, but rather its consumption oriented software is the problem.

Hope that all made sense. Actually whether it does or not I don't really care.

Edited by Keatah

Were 2500 Jaguars even sold in the first place? Or will some people have to buy two? :ponder:

;)

< 250,000 units sold according to the never lying and always correct Jag wiki. So, I guess there might be 249,999 units out there. Maybe 10,000 floating around being used and 239999 units rotting away in a different landfill. Much like how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop; The world may never know.

I do like my Jaguar / Jaguar CD. I picked them up both super cheap 6 or so years back and have found some really fun games for it. Hell, I still play Tempest 2000 at least one to two times a month. I also still look around for home brews on cart or CD. Found Alice's Mom's Rescue for the CD version thanks to finding Atari Age from this RVGS mega thread.

I don't mean Kennedy any ill will and certainly more shell alternatives are a fun thing for people. I wonder what shade of red he's referring to? Or if he's considering a translucent red?

Before I realized his classic gaming color scheme, I proposed alternatives with the mind of keeping the black bottom for cost savings. He may have something else in mind, or even the Mario red from the proposed RVGS. But, for whatever its worth, here's a repost of my Photoshop and his Mario-esque Legend and translucent red renders:

post-39941-0-50018900-1444816602_thumb.jpgpost-39941-0-33522100-1444816608_thumb.jpgpost-39941-0-98716700-1444823489_thumb.jpg