IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Edit to add- just a few comments ago you stated that the PR company added information without your knowledge and released it. Now you state that you indeed did approve it just before release.

About that, to be fair, he never once said the PR company added this information without his knowledge, he only said this was a last minute change they made but never implied he was not aware of or ok with it, you guys just extrapolated that then it escalated.

I still don't really buy Parrothead's "car seller" talk and am nowhere excited by this rebranding stuff, which rather seems to me as yet another marketting technique to hide the lack of concrete ground for their project but it seems your last article is based on some misunderstanding.

I understand everybodys disappointment after seeing a great idea take all kinds of bad changes the first time around. I dont get the personal attacks. He changed everything and nobody backed it. It doesnt sound like he is going to that again. I think this is a great idea if it stays at $150 or less. Hopefully Double Dragon is still in the cards. My only complaint is the usb controller but it is not a dealbreaker.

First, it was Atari Age's fault for being negative as a whole. Then it was Kevtris' fault for him coming forward about having his time wasted. Then it was Pat and Ian's faults for being drunkards. Then it was John Carlsen's fault for going off the reservation. Now it's Triverse's fault for reporting the facts.

Who's fault will it be next? The dudes that own the COLECO name?

• Like 10

So basically the Konami guy is clearly saying nothing is certain. That if the RVGS pays and does everything and then just gives Konami the licensing Money he can take a look wether they agree. Then the guy asks Mike to not talk about this to anyone. And Mike talks to People about it?

Are you serious?

And now you're posting this in an open Forum for us all to Screen capture your e-mails and put them all over the Internet?

Did I miss something or this is one of the most insane unprofessinal things ever?

• Like 8

Look, Konami's on board, guys. I mean, they're not REALLY on board, and I'm not allowed to talk about it (oops, I just did), but they're on board. Someone's on board, anyway.

Now, I've got a beautiful car to show you. Only 12,500 miles on it. Don't worry about that, tho'. It comes in multiple colors, and you'll get the lowest serial number I have.

• Like 4

Well, screen-capturing "friends of contacts" and then showing it publicly (password or not) will really "help" in fostering trust.

I think Mike should stop being on the defensive .... he got the Coleco name because ii would generate buzz and he let it be "mis"-understood exactly to garner the buzz .... I don't even think it is a fault .... for once I thought it was an interesting marketing move.

He could have used any brand of the past that he could find, and it would have been at least smart .... as he states now it's unto them not to make a mockery of themselves.

The past is not forgotten, but it should be kept on the side until this thing goes somewhere, for now is nothing more than a too early "we're back, and we're Coleco" message, likely hoping to divert some of those Xmas money to purchase/fund the thing when/if it comes to that (which is a smart move as well).

I think so far nothing is out of line, either side should chill out and Mike should not single out any one journalist, it's stupid to do that, Carl should stop asking that there should be a banner on top of the name that says "just a branding deal" as that makes no sense, what's the point of making a branding deal if not to pay for recognition if the first thing you have to do is to explain the fine print .... irrelevant, Mike has the legal rights so be it, if the Coleco brand owners are fine with the way it is used we have to be too. The fact that it is not the same Coleco of 35Y ago doesn't even matter .... none of the companies of yesteryear are what they were 35Y ago, name continuity or not (maybe parts of Nintendo are but I doubt).

Mike and Co. are in it ALSO for the money, make no mistake this is business so both sides stop being too romantic about it. I also believe Mike is in it for passion, and so is Carl. No one is the champion of truth, Carl also has vested interest in proving himself extremely thorough for his hobby/business (not sure what to call RGM).
Obviously both sides have something to gain spinning the needle each and every way and this conflict creates the noise ... yes it is not the same Coleco, but they spun a little that way so it gets some sympathy and publicity .... in the end it's exactly what I would expect a marketing manager (and president) to do at this stage .... walking the fine line between a lie and the blunt truth is what these people do all the time, and then obviously they have to come as straightforward ... nothing new here it's the way their job is required to play.

Can we just see what HW this thing runs on and see how it ends?
I have not done a market research but aside from current price reductions it's either flashback/atgames consoles clones in the 40-80US$ price range or 250-350 US$ for the big guys, the middle ground is now a hodge-podge of Android/Linux devices ... it seems there's space for a 100-150US$ device assuming it brings something to the table (not just the Coleco brand).

EDIT: I kept on editing the text, I should have stayed in my cave.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Now, I've got a beautiful car to show you. Only 12,500 miles on it. Don't worry about that, tho'. It comes in multiple colors, and you'll get the lowest serial number I have.

Better move fast, though. I have a lot of interest from everyone in my big fat Rolodex. I have tapped deep into my contacts and friends of contacts which are all legitimate contacts in the industry.

post-2410-0-34199200-1450984270.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Everyone.

[snip]

Do you guys think I am out of line here?

Beautiful. Did PR approve that post?

I can't wait for the moment when it's revealed that your PR department is just another entity that only exists in Retro Land. There's no doubt in my mind that you have no professional PR manager. If your actions were ever directed by someone at a real PR company, that person would probably be asked to clear their desk by noon. Can you even look at yourself in the third person and understand how awkward it is to have "the CEO" of a company fight with people in forums?

And what was that shit about Carl posting about Konami?? Dude, you are the one that broke news about your discussions with Konami. He's not out of line for reporting that. He has no business affiliation with you, he reports things and once you put it out there, they're out. Your animosity towards Carl and your proof that "has had it in for me" isn't really anything he's done to directly hurt your business, it's just that he's not painting the picture you want the media to paint. Ever hear the saying "News Is What Somebody Does Not Want You To Print. All the Rest Is Advertising"? You've received a lot of free advertising for the Coleco licensing but don't blame Carl for not falling in line like a good little soldier.

Also, let's take a look at that email from Konami:

rvgs_mike_emails4_edit.png

He asked you on February 26th to stop bringing them up in the public. Well, guess who was on The Retro League Podcast on May 30th and talked about his involvement with Konami? Here's the link, you bring them up 24 minutes in. Stop blaming other people for your problems.

Your attempt to hold this sort of thing against someone in the media can only be described as "Stalinistic" and only adds credibility to my own idea that we should refer to your new operation as "North Coleca." And just to make it clear- I DON'T want Carl to write another brilliant, in depth article about how amusing it is that a CEO is trying to suppress information he divulged to the public. And I certainly wouldn't want someone to photoshop Stalin's mustache onto a picture of Mike. Nor would I want to see a photoshop of a Red Square parade with RVGS consoles instead or tanks. I mean, it's not like the curvature on the front of the Retro VGS is even similar to a ballistic missile or anything... If anyone out there is considering doing that, do not think for a second that I would contact you asking to use your images in another video of mine and give you a special credit at the end.

I understand how you would feel like Carl's reporting is "tabloid" news reporting, because yes- it is about you. You are the news. His stories are popular and reflect the sentiment of this forum because you're a fucking PR nightmare. Following what you do and say is far more interesting than your console's specs will ever be. You're like John Romero... if he asked everyone to be his bitch every fucking day of his natural life.

And stop the bullshit about how hardware killed your first crowdfunding attempt. That's just another bid to [yet again] blame your defeat on someone else's choices. Pricing was just one of your problems but it wasn't lethal. You still had fans at $300, it was just less than you did at $150. The thing that killed your first attempt was that you promised early on that you wouldn't ask the public for money without a running prototype, then you avoided all questions about the existence of a prototype when people [like myself] called you out on it. Then when you launched your campaign without one, people understood how they can't take your word on anything and that you weren't willing to put any effort into your own product without getting a $2,000,000 check first.

edit: typo

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 12

And stop the bullshit about how hardware killed your first crowdfunding attempt. That's just another bid to [yet again] blame your defeat on someone else's choices. Pricing was just one of your problems but it wasn't lethal. You still had fans at $300, it was just less than you did at $150. The thing that killed your first attempt was that you promised early on that you wouldn't ask the public's for money without a running prototype, then you avoided all questions about the existence of a prototype when people [like myself] called you out on it. Then when you launched your campaign without one, people understood how they can't take your word on anything and that you weren't willing to put any effort into your own product without getting a $2,000,000 check first.

It's the US corporate way (or really any corporation) to find one or more scapegoats, peg the complete burden of failure on them in order to start anew as clean as possible once they are on the other side of the flare.

And while they are at it, reassert the facts the way they spun them so that eventually it "becomes" what went on for as many people as possible.

• Like 1

So I didin't miss anything. Mike actually plain talked about Konami after the guy at Konami told him not to. Amazing. Mike, I sugest you take down that link you put up to prove us wrong ASAP. You have nothing to gain from that. It's probably too late, but this is John's prototype video Level of over the top goofiness.

Edit. I was writing that before triverse's post. Obviously it's already too late...

Edited by leods

the same 15 guys posting their same mantra 10,000 times, shish

you are possessed!

you, heroes of today, are you trying to save the 1% of idiots backing this, or is this only smart ass marathon?

I guess we should send a team to guys to release you from the people who are forcing you to read this thread. :D

• Like 7

why did they not learn their lesson last time? they should have waited till they actually had something before doing any kind of announcement. Just gives people months to speculate.

Surely this all a brilliant PR move that is just waiting to come to fruition.

Why do you have a folder called "Divorce"?

And "Bitcoin"?

The Modern Man Must Hustle.

• Like 2

Why do you have a folder called "Divorce"?

And "Bitcoin"?

Are you mining ;) and that got you in trouble with the miss?

And most importantly for this entire thread who is "Martin Alessi"? Stop bringing new people into the fray ;)

EDIT: This is just a joke, please understand, I am making a point on the dangers of screen-cap casting a too wide of a net sometimes (the whole screen here)

No worries. I understand the consequences of full screen capping. I thought about editing out some of the information but then figured that would just lead to "what is he hiding!?!?" comments.

• Like 3

you, heroes of today, are you trying to save the 1% of idiots backing this, or is this only smart ass marathon?

Even if the prospective backers are "idiots," that doesn't mean it would be okay to stand silently and watch while Mike takes their money through a dishonest fundraising campaign. It's also dishonest for him to claim that the RVGS project is "in the past" and that we should all approach the Chameleon project tabula rasa: the IndieGoGo campaign was only a couple of months ago, not enough time to throw everything away and start from scratch (which is the only way to fix that misbegotten project). More importantly, the whole affair proved Mike to be untrustworthy. Holding his feet to the fire now is one of the things that a self-policing community does: if we won't do it, who will?

• Like 7

No worries. I understand the consequences of full screen capping. I thought about editing out some of the information but then figured that would just lead to "what is he hiding!?!?" comments.

I know at the same time I don't think anyone beside you NEEDs to know irrelevant details (to the story I mean) about your personal life either.

There's always this argument brought up about "If you don't have anything to hide then you should have no problem disclaiming everything" BS .... I don't see why my cholesterol number has to be public knowledge, or my deviated nasal septum, or my molar crown etc...etc... so that when I talk about something I am really expert on I can be believe/trusted .... ;)

I am perfectly fine if you edit irrelevant details. Trustworthiness does not require full disclosure of unrelated data.

Edited by phoenixdownita