IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

As much as I hate to say it, this is exactly why someone buys old brand names- so they can make statements like the one above. If the new owners of "Coleco" get involved with a videogame project, then "Coleco" has re-entered the market. It's fluffy marketing talk, but it is the right of the trademark holder and is not unprecedented.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that they're outside their rights. But when they claim that "video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market," there's a strong implication that the company entering the market with the rebranded RVGS is the same company that entered the market thirty years ago with the ColecoVision, which is not true; it's a new company which happens to own the name. Again, it's their trademark and they can claim whatever they want for it, and I'm aware that others stretch the truth in the same way, but the statement is still so misleading (even if only by omission) that it can reasonably be considered a falsehood, which is why I went as far as to call it a lie.

• Like 1

When AtGames release Atari Flashbacks i hardly consider it Atari reentering the console market. It is AtGames who is entering the market with Atari painted on their console and with Atari games on the inside. Anyone who claims otherwise is a fool in my regard, but it doesnt mean it isnt a fun product.

I cannot see how this is any different, except there is no games of course.

• Like 2

GAMES sell consoles. if mike wants to keep things hush-hush or filter the info thats out there about this system, its not going to do his business any favors. for this system to be successful, there needs to be as much information about games and developers as possible so that people have a desire to buy the console. if people dont have a desire to buy the games (because theres no info available about them), CC is dead in the water. you have to want to buy the games before you want to buy the console. this is how its always worked. yet here we are, nearly 40 years later, putting the cart in front of the horse again. its pretty unbelievable that this is going this way after all the years of marketing and successful and unsuccessful systems.

• Like 3

pun fully intended. i mean its like this. its 2016. people have sorta dictated they dont even want physical media all that much now, it matters not which format the media's even on. people buyin games on steam and whatnot. if its as hard as it is to sell games that they're getting bundled and sold online for $1, then why is this right here happening to me. its like yeah, did you not know that if i put on 'enter sandman' exactly 8 minutes and 6 seconds into 'paul blart mall cop 2', the girl i invited over will leave? yes, logic leads logical thoughts and plans.

• Like 1

its like yeah, did you not know that if i put on 'enter sandman' exactly 8 minutes and 6 seconds into 'paul blart mall cop 2', the girl i invited over will leave? yes, logic leads logical thoughts and plans.

Girls and logic mix NOT, so I am a little lost here, but apparently so was that girl you imposed "enter sandman" on ... poor little one, she didn't see what was coming did she? ;)

Edited by phoenixdownita

Alright guys, I have been very busy the past week and have not had a lot of time to pay attention to this thread. I'm disappointed to see the amount of hate and vile directed at Mike Kennedy and the new incarnation of the Retro VGS project. I get that it's not something many of you are interested in purchasing. But it feels that some of you are hell bent on discrediting Mike and this project, and/or you feel Mike has been misleading in one or more areas.

The Coleco Chameleon hasn't even been formally unveiled yet, nor does anyone know the details of the upcoming Kickstarter campaign. I'm pretty sure we will see a completely new hardware design at a much lower cost, and that a prototype running games will be displayed for the Kickstarter. I can't speculate whether the Kickstarter will be successful, but I suspect as long as actual hardware is shown running games, and the specs are well-defined, and the price is more reasonable, that it will have a better shot at succeeding.

Seeing people attack the project for its use of the Coleco name seems to me people are just looking for an argument. Yeah, it's not the original company that is releasing this console, and yeah, they are using the name to draw more attention to it. And, yes, that is obviously working, which is the whole point of licensing such a name (as Bryan pointed out earlier). When the Kickstarter comes along, people should base their decision to buy into the project based on what is presented and whether or not it's something they want to play, and ignore the fact that it has the Coleco name attached to the project. Just as I wouldn't automatically go out and buy something that has the Atari name on it, even though I am obviously a big Atari fan boy. If you don't want to buy the console based on Mike Kennedy's past or current actions, then by all means, stay away from it.

I want to let everyone discuss the Coleco Chameleon, but I'd like to see it done in a more respectful manner than has taken place recently. I don't want to see a witch hunt over a sub-$200 video game console that hasn't even come out yet.

This thread is done, so let's start another thread about the Coleco Chameleon and discuss it there.

Thank you,

..Al
  • Like 22