IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

There is no room for that on the Jaguar forum; just hopes, dreams and fumes..

Well. Hopes, dreams and fumes brings us things like Another world, JHL15, cool home brews like Alice mom's rescue and Kobayashi maru, and keeps this body alive.

The things killing it is people in general bitching at the Jag, and people here bitching at people enjoying it: like 50 % of all posts! Are you self haters, sadomasochists? LOL?! Is there a non-hater filter that can be activated here?? =P

Maybe it is because this isn't a Jag dedicated forum;;;;;;;; here 2600 fans and Lynx fans can throws pies at jaggers;;;;;;;;;; trying to keep the illusion of being smarter kept together. Just guessing.

Actually who cares for the Retro VGS for real at this state. Just trying to keep the conversation going somewhat.

• Like 1

I agree it's kind of weird that someone would program a 2600 game (or game for any other platform) to release on the RetroVGS as a cartridge. Maybe not technically precisely what's happening, but from my perspective it sounds like you are paying for a physical copy of an emulated game. In that case I'd just want the game on the intended platform. Or be able to plug an original game into a "RetroVGS conversion cart" (which IMO would be a really cool line of expansions).

I suppose I can kind of see a best-case scenario where people find that releasing games programmed for other systems for the RetroVGS is desirable because you may not be a big enough fan of any specific platform to buy the system for the said game. So the RetroVGS would give you the option to get a decent selection of homebrew games that are being disbursed across numerous other retro gaming platforms on one centralized console. That might make sense if the system had a healthy enough user base.

Still, I think I'd prefer digital distribution capabilities with method of release left up to the developer. I think it'd be cool to buy custom RetroVGS games on cart and emulated games on the digital platform.

The fact that it's using the Jaguar molds is kind of awkward though, assuming they're not heavily modified.

Edited by Willard

Hopes, dreams and fumes brings us things like Another world, JHL15, cool home brews like Alice mom's rescue and Kobayashi maru, and keeps this body alive.

No offense, but those projects succeeded precisely because they weren't based on "hopes, dreams and fumes", but on careful planning and execution. (And even with that, not everything went smoothly). Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

I don't see why logical, well thought out statements based upon facts are seen as "bitching" or being negative on here. Oh wait, I'm on the Jaguar forum. Club Drive is a great game if you give it a chance! Jaguar has unharnessed power that makes it better than PS2!!!! That's better. I had opened my window and apparently some fresh air had gotten in, I closed it and now it's just me and the fumes.

• Like 6

I don't see why logical, well thought out statements based upon facts are seen as "bitching" or being negative on here. Oh wait, I'm on the Jaguar forum. Club Drive is a great game if you give it a chance! Jaguar has unharnessed power that makes it better than PS2!!!! That's better. I had opened my window and apparently some fresh air had gotten in, I closed it and now it's just me and the fumes.

endless...

I agree it's kind of weird that someone would program a 2600 game (or game for any other platform) to release on the RetroVGS as a cartridge. Maybe not technically precisely what's happening, but from my perspective it sounds like you are paying for a physical copy of an emulated game.

Yes, if it is paying for emulations it sucks, and probably Cyrano said something in line with that.

No offense, but those projects succeeded precisely because they weren't based on "hopes, dreams and fumes", but on careful planning and execution. (And even with that, not everything went smoothly).

If this thing gets financed by kickstarter it is no longer a dream. Time will tell.

I'm sure not buying it, since it is 16-bit. 32- och 64-would have been really cool emulated or not.

Ambitious idea; one of which I'm utterly fascinated. It sounds like it's Retro's hope to bring cart-based consoles to the download generation -- to hopefully inspire the same love of such a system as many here currently have for theirs.

That they hope to make it a completely in-house cart burning, printing and packaging for almost any number of carts (according to

) blows my mind. Sure, companies are out there to do this for CDs/DVDs... but these are cartridges. It means anyone can very easily publish his game without much hassle beyond the game creation itself.

If this thing gets financed by kickstarter it is no longer a dream.

It's not real until you have both the hardware and the games in your hands. If you need examples, see what happened with other indie consoles: lots went nowhere, some were released (often late and at a higher price than what was planned), virtually all of them never got the heaps of games that were promised.

I'm not trying to be negative, but that whole thing seems poorly thought-out. Dreaming is not a replacement for planning.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

poorly thought out? you dont spend money acquiring a 6,000 lb injection mold on some fanciful whim. how on earth would any of us in here know how much thought has been put into this other than the very little amount of information thats been posted on a facebook page that is updated maybe once or twice every other week at best. Perhaps a significant of thought has been put into it and they aren't willing to post information about everything until all their ducks are in a row, and whats more, is that they have no requirement to fill us in on all the behind the scenes details. They have released little to NO details about the internal workings of the system, only a brief snippet about the dev-kits. I would wager that a lot of thought is going into that aspect of this project.

also- I highly doubt Steve Woita, Michael Katz, and Owen Rubin would have signed up to this team if there wasnt some well thought out planning involved in how to design this and go to market with it. Thats some serious retro gaming and marketing horsepower. Also- how much effort would Collectorvision be wiling to put into the pack in game they have signed on to do if the kickstarter is successful

Negative or Positive, I'm amazed that people have such strong opinions one way or another considering the lack of hard info about this.

• Like 1

Negative or Positive, I'm amazed that people have such strong opinions one way or another considering the lack of hard info about this.

Maybe that very lack of info is what is most concerning and giving rise to strong opinions?

The "poorly thought-out" comment is not unreasonable when you consider the mixed messaging that from one point seemed to suggest there were teams of respected devs hard at work on the platform, then later on the very hardware itself seemed to not just be far from fixed but absolutely up in the air and undecided (for instance the comment stating they were contacting the holders of the Amiga IP to explore those avenues - that seemed quite WTF at that late stage - and hence people questioning how well any of it had been thought through).

The plastic parts for Jaguar fans are great but the new console stuff is many multiples greater in terms of level of effort required to pull off both in terms of first technical practicalities and then secondly convincing people to buy in to the idea once they fully understand the prospect.

Personally I can't help feeling that a platform that not only lacks its own identity (no fixed platform specs - the very thing that drives much of the early tinkering and experimentation from curious devs wanting to see possibilities and test boundaries) and without a brand name pull to draw in an already existing fan base in (if this was an Atari RVGS or Commodore RVGS for example), has what was an already uphill struggle appearing ever more vertical.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 3

This Retro VGS sure freshen up a lot of memories about the Jaguar, people now discussing the cart handle and such details on their facebook. Could lead to a more positive approach towards the Jag, through this indirect commercial, among the few who cares.

Why settle for 16-bit when you can have pseudo-64? Bit war is back.

I just can't see anyone developing for it.

There's no nostalgia factor because its all FPGA, and, for that very reason, there's no thrill of having new hardware to play with because its all semi-compatible emulation, just slightly broken versions of existing consoles. On top of that, it would seem anything you want to release has to go through the company, because you'll need a cart with the FPGA firmware and the binary on it - so no open betas etc..

It's just the worst of all worlds, from a programmers point of view.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 6

I just can't see anyone developing for it.

There's no nostalgia factor because its all FPGA, and, for that very reason, there's no thrill of having new hardware to play with because its all semi-compatible emulation, just slightly broken versions of existing consoles. On top of that, it would seem anything you want to release has to go through the company, because you'll need a cart with the FPGA firmware and the binary on it - so no open betas etc..

It's just the worst of all worlds, from a programmers point of view.

That's my feeling, as soon as I found out is was console simulation my curiosity fell through the floor and I don't even want to buy one just for the novelty value of having a non-Jaguar in a Jaguar case anymore.

It's not a box for devs and gamers, it's a closed market for box collectors.

That they hope to make it a completely in-house cart burning, printing and packaging for almost any number of carts (according to

) blows my mind. Sure, companies are out there to do this for CDs/DVDs... but these are cartridges. It means anyone can very easily publish his game without much hassle beyond the game creation itself.

Cart burning? You're thinking EEPROMS and all that jazz? You think the carts will amount to much more than files on a flash memory stick inside a mostly empty plastic case? There's little reason why they should, and to be cost effective they certainly should not.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 4

haha. I just looked at the facebook page. they recently put up pics of rendered models of the cart shell. doesn't look like they are planning on changing the jaguar molds much, if at all. I figured at least they would change up the carts.

Edited by mickcris

haha. I just looked at the facebook page. they recently put up pics of rendered models of the cart shell. doesn't look like they are planning on changing the jaguar molds much, if at all. I figured at least they would change up the carts.

Why? The most ROI this will get is selling different coloured shells to jagufans ;)

• Like 1

Seems to be the standard 3rd party Jaguar shell. Interesting comment on the fb page you mentioned:

We are planning on the first 1000 of each cart produced being an exclusive color and then change to the standard color. There will be no indication on the boxes if that special color is inside.

Well... nothing wrong with thinking big (1000 is not a small number), but the idea of forced scarcity shows they understand the collector mentality and how to exploit it at least.

Why? The most ROI this will get is selling different coloured shells to jagufans ;)

I think it's a handy way to ensure they don't come out of this too badly out of pocket whatever the outcome. Again, sensible.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 3

Was there ever any follow-up information on those "conversations" they were having with Capcom and Konami?.

Only reason i ask, is given the shambolic state of Konami at present with the very promising P.T/Silent Hills being killed stone dead, i'm just very doubtful much if anything would be done for this by konami themselves.

Well... nothing wrong with thinking big (1000 is not a small number), but the idea of forced scarcity shows they understand the collector mentality and how to exploit it at least.

Using their example I can't see cart based VCS games selling in the 1000s for this console. It took a year or so to sell 250 copies of Boulder Dash for the 2600 and that was a licensed game on a platform with a ton of nostalgia factor.

• Like 1

Using their example I can't see cart based VCS games selling in the 1000s for this console. It took a year or so to sell 250 copies of Boulder Dash for the 2600 and that was a licensed game on a platform with a ton of nostalgia factor.

Excellent! Everyone gets a special edition colour!

Was there ever any follow-up information on those "conversations" they were having with Capcom and Konami?

I wouldn't read too much into that beyond possibly attempting to license existing titles for old hardware - Capcom and Konami are not going to target such hardware. Anyone can have such a "conversation" with capcom, konami or any other studio. You send them a letter or an e-mail and if you're lucky there's someone whose job it is to open and assess it at the other end. If your message doesn't involve detailing the piles of cash you are willing to push in their direction to convince them to let you do X, Y or Z, then that could just be end of conversation.

Nostalgia is what drives a massive percentage of collector's playing and purchasing. While someone could argue a case for such a machine having a much broader appeal as it would (could) essentially be any number of machines, the fact is it is not actually any of them and is essentially a soulless simulation box, then... It's too forced and unnecessary.

"The first 1000 units..." seems incredibly optimistic. Some of the more "successful" Ouya titles managed to shift a couple of thousand digital units at prices ranging from pennies to ten or fifteen dollars with a potential audience of 100,000+ install base. How are we now not back to that phrase zero used "poorly thought-out"... the more I think about it, the more it all seems hugely unrealistic. Having 4000 facebook followers is one thing. Having them all purchase the hardware and scramble to be the first 1000 to buy each new game... :ponder:

Excellent! Everyone gets a special edition colour!

And another 750 copies under the bed for auction every Summer for the next 7 centuries.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2