IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I'd like for them to succeed (with a reasonable price of the console though).

At the same time I will never sign up to fund them as they figure our what to do, how to do it etc... that should have been ironed out already and a working proto being produced by now.

Kickstarter should not be an avenue to simply dump the complete risk on someone else without a shroud of a "real" tangible product (if it's a game show me a playable demo etc....)

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

I'd like for them to succeed (with a reasonable price of the console though).

At the same time I will never sign up to fund them as they figure our what to do, how to do it etc... that should have been ironed out already and a working proto being produced by now.

Kickstarter should not be an avenue to simply dump the complete risk on someone else without a shroud of a "real" tangible product (if it's a game show me a playable demo etc....)

Frankly they've been too transparent. They should have kept all design discussions internal instead of making these confusing statements to the public.

• Like 1

I believe the issue for me is that I was led to think they were much closer to something working rather than just an idea with somewhat a competent team behind it. Ideas are a dime a dozen, even good ones, it's all in the execution.

Once they put Kickstarter in the mix I really thought they had everything they needed except financial backing to start production, here it's more like paying to have them go to school, figure out how to do things and MAYBE release something assuming they get a compelling enough product one year from now .... I do not want to pay for their legwork, that has to have happened already and no 2 boxes drawn on a board with the writing "FPGA" in one and "media processor" on the other does not count, no matter how many AV out you believe you can cram in there.

[On a side note, one of their claims is to be able to have simultaneous AV out on all ports, HDMI + SVideo + Composite + RGB, which is funny because the last 3 requires active scaling for anything but 240p or 480i [adjust for PAL] .... I know the old Xbox 360 had the ANA chip that did exactly that {then HANA to allow rescaling over HDMI so the out to TV and the game resolutions could be different} ... given how cost sensitive they claim to be it must be a feature they get for free from the "media processor" or it would make no sense to have an extra chip just do that]

Edited by phoenixdownita

I believe the issue for me is that I was led to think they were much closer to something working rather than just an idea with somewhat a competent team behind it. Ideas are a dime a dozen, even good ones, it's all in the execution.

Once they put Kickstarter in the mix I really thought they had everything they needed except financial backing to start production, here it's more like paying to have them go to school, figure out how to do things and MAYBE release something assuming they get a compelling enough product one year from now .... I do not want to pay for their legwork, that has to have happened already and no 2 boxes drawn on a board with the writing "FPGA" in one and "media processor" on the other does not count, no matter how many AV out you believe you can cram in there.

[On a side note, one of their claims is to be able to have simultaneous AV out on all ports, HDMI + SVideo + Composite + RGB, which is funny because the last 3 requires active scaling for anything but 240p or 480i [adjust for PAL] .... I know the old Xbox 360 had the ANA chip that did exactly that {then HANA to allow rescaling over HDMI so the out to TV and the game resolutions could be different} ... given how cost sensitive they claim to be it must be a feature they get for free from the "media processor" or it would make no sense to have an extra chip just do that]

With multi outs, either the signal is SD and upscaled for the digital out, or it is HD and downscaled for the analog out. 480p over HDMI for retro titles is also an option.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'm gonna LOVE watching this get shit on.

Why? You enjoy seeing people fail? Doesn't that say more about you than anyone else?

This has become a thread of snide, negative douchebaggery. Why waste your time? If you don't think you're going to like the thing, why bother paying attention at all?

Edited by Chris++
  • Like 7

Why? You enjoy seeing people fail? Doesn't that say more about you than anyone else?

This has become a thread of snide, negative douchebaggery. Why waste your time? If you don't think you're going to like the thing, why bother paying attention at all?

...maybe for the same reason I am following Donald Trump run for president while having no intention whatsoever to vote for him ....

... but more likely many people felt let down by the big price increase and lack of any hardware to this day .... but all can change in an instant ... start the Kickstarter, show a proto and target 200US$ ... pronto ... everyone's happy ... and that's the other part I like, changing my mind when a plan comes together ... 'till then a sane dose of skepticism and a whole lot of .... (I literally meant the abuse of ellipses in this paragraph).

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

Just in from FB: 299US$ for black or 349US$ for exclusive colors.

No idea of the final price post KS.

post-36731-0-79347100-1442289168_thumb.png

Also according to their original FAQ:

Will the system price include a pack-in game?

Yes. The pack-in game is called Adventures of Tiny Knight. It is being developed by CollectorVision. Adventures of Tiny Knight is inspired by the RPG Platformer Wonder Boy series.

Edited by phoenixdownita

I'd personally like to see the thing succeed, but what I'd like to see even more is gamers not getting played by these guys. They haven't given enough solid facts to assure potential purchasers that the later won't be the case.

...'till then a sane dose of skepticism and a whole lot of .... (I literally meant the abuse of ellipses in this paragraph).

This. :thumbsup:

Just in from FB: 299US$ for black or 349US$ for exclusive colors.

No idea of the final price post KS.

Judging by the way they worded it, it seems like it's only going to be $300 or $350 for early bird backers. My guess is the price goes up after the first 500 slots are filled. If this is not the case, then they need to phrase it differently.

• Like 3

Given you're online say something:

attachicon.gifRVGSrus.png

@Albert:

if you think I'm getting annoying with the tracking please let me know and I'll stop.

He seems busy on the other forum:

attachicon.gifRVGSrus2.png

Seriously, you have nothing better to do than spy on other users... :ponder:

500 @ $299 - Early Bird Black RVGS Only

$349 is our base price during the campaign plus choice of Legend or Jewel series colors. These are unlimited exclusives made for the campaign only.

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup: Sadly the timing of your KS is bad. I cannot afford to contribute atm :sad: but might buy a RetroVGS in the future if it succeeds... :) Edited by stardust4ever

$349 is our base price during the campaign plus choice of Legend or Jewel series colors. These are unlimited exclusives made for the campaign only.

I appreciate the heads-up about the Early Bird prices. I think potential backers who've been following your progress probably do too.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

Jonathan Lopez: Ah i see . Is it compatable with every retro game like nes , snes , genisis, master system etc ?

RETRO VGS Potentially in the future, but main focus is playing this new wave of retro games coming out ..... On cartridges.

You can't have a new wave of retro games. New and retro are complete polar opposites. And it isn't the visual style of a game that makes it retro - though many devs seem to want to believe that.

Retro is Retro. And that means the old games. Period. El'Finito!

Except they are not. The new games are bloated code, have spiffy graphics, and have nothing to do with the characters of yesteryear. They might look retro, they might play like retro. But they are posers.

Atari VCS Battlezone is retro. Tempest Arcade is retro. Missile Command Arcade is retro. Tiny Knight is not retro. Gunlord is not retro. Shantae is not retro.

Edited by Keatah

Except they are not. The new games are bloated code, have spiffy graphics, and have nothing to do with the characters of yesteryear. They might look retro, they might play like retro. But they are posers.

Atari VCS Battlezone is retro. Tempest Arcade is retro. Missile Command Arcade is retro. Tiny Knight is not retro. Gunlord is not retro. Shantae is not retro.

Hi. Please stop posting.

Sincerely,

~Everyone else in this thread

• Like 9

More talk of pretty colors. I think those of us who want to support you need to know, do you have a working prototype?

• Like 2

I haven't followed the drama that well, but when I heard those prices rumored, I was like huh? I was an idiot, because I forgot this was a Kickstarter, hence a fundraiser, with the systems as a reward. Good luck Mike, regardless.

Hi. Please stop posting.

Sincerely,

~Everyone else in this thread

Yeah enough already.

Thats it? Thats all you have to say about this? $300 for a "base price"? Clearly, you're not doing this for any "community". Everyone's gotta eat, I guess, right?

So much for "transparency."

Because THIS is what this HOBBY has turned into - everyone wanting loads of money for a niche product because its part of the "trend." I don't take joy in watching people fail - I'm tired of all this bullshit "retro gamez are hot right now! big $$$ to be made!"

I enjoy classic games. i enjoy games that PLAY well. This is my taste in games. Now, that taste has become a commodity, like some fucking cash cow that everyone is taking pieces from. The term "retro" gets slapped on EVERTYTHING that doesnt use 3D models so all you hipster sheep can throw your disposable income at it.

It doesn't stop there. This is why the secondary market is so fucked. Collectards and shelfqueens buy everything up, hoard it, and call it an "investment". You know why common games are hard to find now? Blame the flippers, resellers, and "collectors" - they would rather put it on a shelf and beat off to it than see it go to someone who will actually ENJOY it and play it. Not time for playing games! There's money to be made! Last time I was in a brick and mortar store, these two douchbag collectards were arguing over how much profit game boy games would fetch in another year. They then proceeded to buy 2 large stacks of them (many of them multiple copies). When I asked how much a copy of Tecmo Super Bowl was for NES (because there was no price on it), the guy behind the counter proceeds to go to EBAY for a price, and quotes me $25. Tecmo Super Bowl is nowhere close to being worth that much. Its not "teh rarez", its a common as shit game, but because its for the NES (which is now along the lines of a boutique system apparently) that instantly drives the value up.

This "RGVS" is a complete joke. This mysterious KS that Parrothead keeps touting is supposed to start "around" the 14th? Whats next, "The KS will start when I mention it in passing to my wife around the 14th, but not after mid-october..." Really? All I've seen you do is ask for money. You've shown nothing more than a shitty empty case with an inkjet-printed PCB. Congratulations, you're doing a helluva job. Money well spent on those Jaguar molds. But I'm sure you'll recoup those losses by jacking the price of the system up, or making a "limited edition" version for twice what you were already raping your supporters for to begin with.

Oh, the "Gunlord" makers are making games for this? Out come the fucking vultures already. I'm sure the bloated costs of those cartridges will make up for the lack of invention and quality in their games.

I can't wait for sacks of shit like Gamester81 and Pat the NES Turd to make videos of this crap. Just another hunk of plastic put on a shelf behind them to show off on youtube. I'm sure that'll be some free advertising for ya, right Mike????

Fuck the shelfqueens. Fuck the collectards. Fuck all the sheep that buys into this crap looking to make money off of us.

And if you don't like what I say about it, then fuck you.

• Like 7

Thats it? Thats all you have to say about this? $300 for a "base price"? Clearly, you're not doing this for any "community". Everyone's gotta eat, I guess, right?

So much for "transparency."

Because THIS is what this HOBBY has turned into - everyone wanting loads of money for a niche product because its part of the "trend." I don't take joy in watching people fail - I'm tired of all this bullshit "retro gamez are hot right now! big $$$ to be made!"

I enjoy classic games. i enjoy games that PLAY well. This is my taste in games. Now, that taste has become a commodity, like some fucking cash cow that everyone is taking pieces from. The term "retro" gets slapped on EVERTYTHING that doesnt use 3D models so all you hipster sheep can throw your disposable income at it.

It doesn't stop there. This is why the secondary market is so fucked. Collectards and shelfqueens buy everything up, hoard it, and call it an "investment". You know why common games are hard to find now? Blame the flippers, resellers, and "collectors" - they would rather put it on a shelf and beat off to it than see it go to someone who will actually ENJOY it and play it. Not time for playing games! There's money to be made! Last time I was in a brick and mortar store, these two douchbag collectards were arguing over how much profit game boy games would fetch in another year. They then proceeded to buy 2 large stacks of them (many of them multiple copies). When I asked how much a copy of Tecmo Super Bowl was for NES (because there was no price on it), the guy behind the counter proceeds to go to EBAY for a price, and quotes me $25. Tecmo Super Bowl is nowhere close to being worth that much. Its not "teh rarez", its a common as shit game, but because its for the NES (which is now along the lines of a boutique system apparently) that instantly drives the value up.

This "RGVS" is a complete joke. This mysterious KS that Parrothead keeps touting is supposed to start "around" the 14th? Whats next, "The KS will start when I mention it in passing to my wife around the 14th, but not after mid-october..." Really? All I've seen you do is ask for money. You've shown nothing more than a shitty empty case with an inkjet-printed PCB. Congratulations, you're doing a helluva job. Money well spent on those Jaguar molds. But I'm sure you'll recoup those losses by jacking the price of the system up, or making a "limited edition" version for twice what you were already raping your supporters for to begin with.

Oh, the "Gunlord" makers are making games for this? Out come the fucking vultures already. I'm sure the bloated costs of those cartridges will make up for the lack of invention and quality in their games.

I can't wait for sacks of shit like Gamester81 and Pat the NES Turd to make videos of this crap. Just another hunk of plastic put on a shelf behind them to show off on youtube. I'm sure that'll be some free advertising for ya, right Mike????

Fuck the shelfqueens. Fuck the collectards. Fuck all the sheep that buys into this crap looking to make money off of us.

And if you don't like what I say about it, then fuck you.

I can feel your hate it give you focus and strength. Let the hate flow through you then you can take on and destroy the RETRO VGS and master Mike Kennedy. Henceforth you shall be known as Darth Giltygear DESTROYER of the last cartridge media system, so we can have "peace" and "tranquility"...

Edited by Draikar