IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Thats it? Thats all you have to say about this? $300 for a "base price"? Clearly, you're not doing this for any "community". Everyone's gotta eat, I guess, right?

So much for "transparency."

Because THIS is what this HOBBY has turned into - everyone wanting loads of money for a niche product because its part of the "trend." I don't take joy in watching people fail - I'm tired of all this bullshit "retro gamez are hot right now! big $$$ to be made!"

Can't you assume for a moment that $300 is the bare minimum a low production run console (i.e., production in the thousands rather than hundreds of thousands) with the targeted specs can be sold by them for? You can't reasonably expect them to sell it at cost (which as far as we know could be close to that figure once all is said and done), particularly since they're not a business with lots of other products to help subsidize production (which is the vast majority of other hardware makers).

Frankly, you're the one being completely unreasonable here (perhaps that was your point, though, to be "outrageous"?). The price is the price and if you or anyone else doesn't want to pay it, then the Retro VGS team failed to put forth a sufficient value proposition, which would be their only real failing. Otherwise, to complain about it because it's not the price that you personally wanted to pay (or perhaps can afford) is your failing.

• Like 5

Thats it? Thats all you have to say about this? $300 for a "base price"? Clearly, you're not doing this for any "community". Everyone's gotta eat, I guess, right?

So much for "transparency."

Because THIS is what this HOBBY has turned into - everyone wanting loads of money for a niche product because its part of the "trend." I don't take joy in watching people fail - I'm tired of all this bullshit "retro gamez are hot right now! big $$$ to be made!"

I enjoy classic games. i enjoy games that PLAY well. This is my taste in games. Now, that taste has become a commodity, like some fucking cash cow that everyone is taking pieces from. The term "retro" gets slapped on EVERTYTHING that doesnt use 3D models so all you hipster sheep can throw your disposable income at it.

It doesn't stop there. This is why the secondary market is so fucked. Collectards and shelfqueens buy everything up, hoard it, and call it an "investment". You know why common games are hard to find now? Blame the flippers, resellers, and "collectors" - they would rather put it on a shelf and beat off to it than see it go to someone who will actually ENJOY it and play it. Not time for playing games! There's money to be made! Last time I was in a brick and mortar store, these two douchbag collectards were arguing over how much profit game boy games would fetch in another year. They then proceeded to buy 2 large stacks of them (many of them multiple copies). When I asked how much a copy of Tecmo Super Bowl was for NES (because there was no price on it), the guy behind the counter proceeds to go to EBAY for a price, and quotes me $25. Tecmo Super Bowl is nowhere close to being worth that much. Its not "teh rarez", its a common as shit game, but because its for the NES (which is now along the lines of a boutique system apparently) that instantly drives the value up.

This "RGVS" is a complete joke. This mysterious KS that Parrothead keeps touting is supposed to start "around" the 14th? Whats next, "The KS will start when I mention it in passing to my wife around the 14th, but not after mid-october..." Really? All I've seen you do is ask for money. You've shown nothing more than a shitty empty case with an inkjet-printed PCB. Congratulations, you're doing a helluva job. Money well spent on those Jaguar molds. But I'm sure you'll recoup those losses by jacking the price of the system up, or making a "limited edition" version for twice what you were already raping your supporters for to begin with.

Oh, the "Gunlord" makers are making games for this? Out come the fucking vultures already. I'm sure the bloated costs of those cartridges will make up for the lack of invention and quality in their games.

I can't wait for sacks of shit like Gamester81 and Pat the NES Turd to make videos of this crap. Just another hunk of plastic put on a shelf behind them to show off on youtube. I'm sure that'll be some free advertising for ya, right Mike????

Fuck the shelfqueens. Fuck the collectards. Fuck all the sheep that buys into this crap looking to make money off of us.

And if you don't like what I say about it, then fuck you.

Where did they state $300 is the MSRP? It's a Kickstarter pledge, with the reward being a console. It's Kickstarter 101.

This project has nothing to do with ebay prices on old games, and frankly, neither do the "shelf queens." You are divorced from reality, because the REALITY is that games like Tecmo Bowl are not rare, but they are less and less likely to be dumped on ebay by people who are selling their childhood games like the old days. In reality, ebay listings are mostly made by people who buy and sell. They are often NOT collectors at all, and sell movies and toys alongside games. Furthermore what's wrong with buying a homebrew game (always a limited run) to both play, and perhaps later sell? It's not like the sellers take the money and run off to the Bahamas! They continue to BUY and SUPPORT future homebrew with the money.

Lastly, complaining about the exact day that the KS starts? Really, who cares? Gamester81 is a nice guy who makes excellent video reviews, and yet people shat on him for no good reason. I have serious concerns about the feasibility and longevity of this project, but your spouting off really doesn't answer any of those.

Good day.

Edited by Greg2600

It's people like you and your overpriced "movie' popcorn that is ruining popcorn. You can take your "$10 for a bucket of 25 cents worth of popcorn kernels" and pop-off. Plus you don't even tell us what you use. It's probably not real butter anyway. And air-popped.

I don't know about this Kumbaya business, but I've got some popcorn if anybody needs it.

3_qt_Popcorn_Bowl_1.jpg

• Like 5

Can't you assume for a moment that $300 is the bare minimum a low production run console (i.e., production in the thousands rather than hundreds of thousands) with the targeted specs can be sold by them for? You can't reasonably expect them to sell it at cost (which as far as we know could be close to that figure once all is said and done), particularly since they're not a business with lots of other products to help subsidize production (which is the vast majority of other hardware makers).

Frankly, you're the one being completely unreasonable here (perhaps that was your point, though, to be "outrageous"?). The price is the price and if you or anyone else doesn't want to pay it, then the Retro VGS team failed to put forth a sufficient value proposition, which would be their only real failing. Otherwise, to complain about it because it's not the price that you personally wanted to pay (or perhaps can afford) is your failing.

Welp, you got me! Just trying to be OUTRAGEOUS again! Ol' Giltygear's got that stick up his ass! Who's jimmies is he trying to rustle today?????

Give me a break. This wouldn't have even been a blip on my radar until those pictures showed up and they cleared their FB page.

Where did they state $300 is the MSRP? It's a Kickstarter pledge, with the reward being a console. It's Kickstarter 101.

This project has nothing to do with ebay prices on old games, and frankly, neither do the "shelf queens." You are divorced from reality, because the REALITY is that games like Tecmo Bowl are not rare, but they are less and less likely to be dumped on ebay by people who are selling their childhood games like the old days. In reality, ebay listings are mostly made by people who buy and sell. They are often NOT collectors at all, and sell movies and toys alongside games. Furthermore what's wrong with buying a homebrew game (always a limited run) to both play, and perhaps later sell? It's not like the sellers take the money and run off to the Bahamas! They continue to BUY and SUPPORT future homebrew with the money.

Lastly, complaining about the exact day that the KS starts? Really, who cares? Gamester81 is a nice guy who makes excellent video reviews, and yet people shat on him for no good reason. I have serious concerns about the feasibility and longevity of this project, but your spouting off really doesn't answer any of those.

Good day.

I come from a place of frustration - frustration that now I have to pay top-dollar for a game thats creeping up on 20 years old. Modern games (save for very few) are not fun. They're devoid of any sort of originality.

I love to shoot the shit about games, just like all of you. But within the last few years, these conversations turn into a game's "worth" or "value" and it makes me sick. Does this not frustrate anybody? That the thing that you derive enjoyment out of is being marketed for a premium price?

Then maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm seeing this through rose-colored glasses. I should just let the profiteers come in and take advantage of the marketplace. You all can find justification for their actions. I'll just keep calling BS because thats ALL im seeing.

Relax and thrown on some Motorhead

mhead.JPG

Already have ;) . New Slayer came out too. Great time to be a metal fan.

I've also got some shat-corn if anyone needs it, too.

attachicon.gifshat corn.jpg

Shatner makes a better horror movie villian...

mm1.jpg

I come from a place of frustration - frustration that now I have to pay top-dollar for a game thats creeping up on 20 years old. Modern games (save for very few) are not fun... blah blah

Besides the fact that your posts have been incredibly rude, giving us all the ole "then fuck you," they are also wildly off-topic. Take it somewhere else.

Again, straightforward question - does the RVGS team have a working prototype?

This wouldn't have even been a blip on my radar until those pictures showed up and they cleared their FB page.

So all it takes to go from zero to sounding like a stark-raving lunatic are a couple of Facebook pictures? You ever hear of "easing into a conversation"? Get a grip.

Edited by Emehr

Straight answer: wait for the KS.

If they have anything they for sure have not shown it.

They've been careful to not use "Kickstarter" in their recent posts. Also, has anyone noticed they changed their About heading on their FB page? It used to specifically say "Kickstarter campaign"

RETRO VGS. The Future of Retro.

RETRO VGS is a modern day cartridge based video game system launching via mid September 2015 crowdfunding campaign.

I suspect they're going to go somewhere else because they don't have a prototype. But they already rejected IndieGoGo, where else is there to go?

Edit: glazball, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 3

They've been careful to not use "Kickstarter" in their recent posts. Also, has anyone noticed they changed their About heading on their FB page? It used to specifically say "Kickstarter campaign"

I suspect they're going to go somewhere else because they don't have a prototype. But they already rejected IndieGoGo, where else is there to go?

Edit: glazball, you took the words right out of my mouth!

I think they have honest intentions, of course, but if indeed they don't go with Kickstarter to avoid the "working prototype" requirement, I'd personally consider it definitive that it wouldn't be something safe to support. There would be way too many variables for a team new to high function technology creation to be able to create something that fits their stated criteria in a reasonable timeframe (within a year, rather than two to three years) and, more importantly, within a restricted budget (and it would be especially bad if the crowdfunding was set up to keep all monies received, even if the goal was not met, like some allow).

• Like 8

Agreed, completely. I hope they are using this time to hammer out their prototype, not their sales pitch. If there is no working hardware when this "crowdfunding campaign" starts, they won't have my support.

In addition, with no prototype it will likely cause the whole idea to crash and burn and could ruin the cart-based console idea for any future team that may want to go through with this.

• Like 1

That's because they just realize the rules of Kickstarter, and that is YET ONE MORE cold feeling down my spine... they have, for sure, good intentions, but they don't know how this is done.

I can imagine the time after their "KS" when the backers gets all the excuses for delays, all their good intentions stacked in a growing pile, some more twists and turns och techs, and lots of frustration for people giving them $350 for a beautiful air castle, that MIGHT happen, if not all the good intentions spend all money harvested.

The odds of this not happening they don't talk about, but my stomachache says something else...

What looks like a duck - sounds like a duck - is a duck. Nothing else.

• Like 2

I come from a place of frustration - frustration that now I have to pay top-dollar for a game thats creeping up on 20 years old. Modern games (save for very few) are not fun. They're devoid of any sort of originality.

I love to shoot the shit about games, just like all of you. But within the last few years, these conversations turn into a game's "worth" or "value" and it makes me sick. Does this not frustrate anybody? That the thing that you derive enjoyment out of is being marketed for a premium price?

Then maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm seeing this through rose-colored glasses. I should just let the profiteers come in and take advantage of the marketplace. You all can find justification for their actions. I'll just keep calling BS because thats ALL im seeing.

I understand the frustration, but again you make two mistakes. First, you don't have to buy the RVGS. I'm not going to. I really don't expect much in the way of exclusive games, so what would you be missing? Second, the ire you have for certain aspects of collecting classic games really has nothing at all with RVGS, as I pointed out before.

Sadly, who those two are is no mystery to me. :lolblue:

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a pansy, but as a young lad in the 70's, I liked reading The Bobbsey Twins over The Hardy Boys

didn't mean to hijack the thread

let the bashing or loving (depends on what side of the Retro VGS your on) continue!

In 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......