IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

So they didn't want to get a prototype made (less than $1000 for 3 or 4 in dev system style) and are going with the smaller crowd funding operation as a result of that poor decision :lol:.

That rear connector isn't consumer unit friendly, unless peripherals come with super soft mittens to handle them with.

• Like 1

Finally:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179180192&postcount=1167

Look, we aren't going to fool our backers into thinking we have a working proto when we don't.

And they could NOT put that one up in the details on their main page?

[so Tiny Knight as well is not running on the actual hardware ... as madman once said "the plot thickens" ]

Either that or whoever typed that message would backpedal and say he was not authorized to speak on behalf of RVGS, but the fact that at least 2 forums are stirring some controversy up is a measure of how badly they misjudged what they needed to have done by now to get something believable.

2 days to the campaign .... can't wait ... maybe they will find 10000 backers at 300 each for a total of 3M .... or not.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

...and to beat a dead horse ... they forgot to delete all traces of the SVideo debacle from the FAQ page:

What are the output specifications?

​​​(John Carlsen) RETRO VGS is a premium game console that outputs high-quality audio and video simultaneously in digital and analog formats. It can connect to televisions anywhere in the world via HDMI 1.3 and allows easy recording of sound and NTSC composite video (or Y/C S-Video via mini-DIN), even while playing in high definition.

Edited by phoenixdownita

I was really looking forward to this... I won't count it as dead yet but I won't be spending any money on it until it is a finished product. It sounded too good to be true and it looks like it was.

Just give me an android based machine that takes cartridges and I would be happy.

Edited by neotokeo2001

Same, I was really looking forward to this also. I've actually been budgeting for this expense and was possibly going to throw in some extra over the cost of the console to help get it off the ground. But without a working prototype, and only promises, I can't justify it.

And this begs the question... just what the hell have they been doing over these last few months?? They should have something up and running to show us.

I've got a prototype that I did about 2 years ago with some ancient technology.. Nowhere near as complex but technically they're not the first to develop a new cartridge based console that's reconfigurable :-) Doesn't have as nice a case though..

z80 @ 6.25mhz (yes, that means programming in assembler)

8K SRAM

FPGA with configuration prom on the cartridge so each game could theoretically have it's own graphics / sound hardware. The one and only core I did had 2 scrollable tile-based layers, 32 sprites @ 16x16 and 64 palettes of 4 colors.

Onboard speaker + amp

VGA out

2 standard Atari joystick pins.

Total cost: ~$30 including PCB...

-Mux

hw1.JPG

• Like 17

I've got a prototype that I did about 2 years ago with some ancient technology.. Nowhere near as complex but technically they're not the first to develop a new cartridge based console that's reconfigurable :-) Doesn't have as nice a case though..

8K SRAM

FPGA with configuration prom on the cartridge so each game could theoretically have it's own graphics / sound hardware. The one and only core I did had 2 scrollable tile-based layers, 32 sprites @ 16x16 and 64 palettes of 4 colors.

Onboard speaker + amp

VGA out

-Mux

Please oh please develop an FPGA board for the RPi2 via the GPIO for true emulation/reimplementation and make all of us happy ;-)

[you can splurge up to 100US$ for the FPGA;-)]

Edited by phoenixdownita

8K SRAM

Onboard speaker + amp

VGA out

-Mux

hw1.JPG

That's pretty much what most of us would be looking for in a retro console. The right size memory/PLD without getting stupidly big or complicated.

Nice tabletop/background, too. ;)

• Like 1

8K SRAM

Onboard speaker + amp

VGA out

-Mux

hw1.JPG

Onboard speaker + amp? So this couldn't output sound to a regular TV?

Also, which cartridge format did you mimic to obtain that number of pins on the cartridge slot?

Onboard speaker + amp? So this couldn't output sound to a regular TV?

Also, which cartridge format did you mimic to obtain that number of pins on the cartridge slot?

Yep, when you output video via VGA, this is a good way to prototype something.

It really isn't that hard to create your own bus and interface with a cartridge, why even bother to mimic anything? Put the pins to where they are convenient. :P

I am shocked this is the first one posted. I just saw some dudes pull of a retro system with a 328.

• Like 2

Yep, when you output video via VGA, this is a good way to prototype something.

It really isn't that hard to create your own bus and interface with a cartridge, why even bother to mimic anything? Put the pins to where they are convenient. :P

Yes, I understand that, but I was just wondering why he picked that particular cartridge port, if it matches that of a particular commercial console. :)

Yes, I understand that, but I was just wondering why he picked that particular cartridge port, if it matches that of a particular commercial console. :)

My guess as always, you decided how many pins you want to expose to the PCB and then you go with the most common part, so you don't need special tooling of a brand new connector.