IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I skipped parts, but here's a few things:

- 8:28 They're out of personal money and need a cash infusion to continue

- 51:30 Something about some cores have to be officially sanctioned by the original console makers; they really sounded uncomfortable when someone asked about a homebrew Nintendo game. I could be mistaken, but the licensing issues may come up if a developer wants to modify the game's FPGA core so the emulated console acts outside its norms. Like a "wouldn't it be cool if a Super Nintendo just had a few extra cycles" scenario, or whatever.

- 1:22:57 The new expansion port will allow room for the RVGS to grow, so there will never need to be an "RETRO 2".

I'll have to listen to this later but that's strange that they would be so candid on this podcast. Isn't that his own podcast?

Point 1 is exactly what I suspected since there's an obvious urgency in going on a funding site. I can't imagine what they spent all of their resources on to this point if they weren't developing a prototype.

I think the reality is that they never had much in the way of financial resources to put into this thing at all. I mean, my understanding is that none of Mike's video game business ventures have ever really panned out financially. Gamegavel has never made any money from what he has posted in the past and I suspect Retro might break even or even lose money given the declining magazine business and the need to go back to Kickstarter each year. A lot of us suspected this was a doomed project from the beginning given the niche nature of the product and the overly ambitious goals backed by a team with little or no experience launching this kind of product. I hope nobody actually throws money at this thing because I think this is probably the worst conceived and most risky crowdfunding venture I have ever seen.

• Like 2

They did concede it's going to be "fixed all the way"

post-36731-0-25924400-1442596832_thumb.png

I am not sure how long the campaign would be, but given they wont' get any money until the end it also means there will be no further meaningful development until they meet their goal, which may be on day 1 (and everyone's happy) or the very last day (say 2 months down the line) .... and that means 2 months delay at least ... 'cause I'm certain they believe they will hit their 3M$ on day 2.

Now what if they instead campaign for just 250K$ like Bill hypothesized, and we all know that that amounts to squat, as they claimed they need 3M$ to deliver anything, would you support it?

Edited by phoenixdownita

I think the reality is that they never had much in the way of financial resources to put into this thing at all. I mean, my understanding is that none of Mike's video game business ventures have ever really panned out financially. Gamegavel has never made any money from what he has posted in the past and I suspect Retro might break even or even lose money given the declining magazine business and the need to go back to Kickstarter each year. A lot of us suspected this was a doomed project from the beginning given the niche nature of the product and the overly ambitious goals backed by a team with little or no experience launching this kind of product. I hope nobody actually throws money at this thing because I think this is probably the worst conceived and most risky crowdfunding venture I have ever seen.

Yeah, the thing is he's trying to capitalize on the Retro gaming market with a faux-retro game console. Which in many ways is like trying to capitalize on the antiques market by marketing a new "Retro-Cola" branded classic vending machine... that costs $30,000. There's a retro bubble going on right now but unless you're a reseller or if you can make a surprise indie hit, there's not a lot of money to be made and even then it's not big enough to sustain a massive operation.

• Like 1

Point 1 is exactly what I suspected since there's an obvious urgency in going on a funding site. I can't imagine what they spent all of their resources on to this point if they weren't developing a prototype. That would be near the top, THEN I would think you would worry about getting devs on board, licensing, etc. All of the fact finding of what was wanted should have been step 0 and been little-to-no

Liquor and hookers?

Naaaa............gummi bears and hookers!

OMG, games running on other platforms shown as if they are running on the real (but non existing) hardware.

How is that for deceiving ... even the VG of old had to state that the images were from different versions when it was the case .... now this is insulting!!

Edited by phoenixdownita

Can they please stop creating sizzle reels and show something tangible, like something actually running on a devboard? Doesn't even have to be a custom one. Just get a DE2 devboard and show something. Anything.

-Mux

I don't think so, it seems in their DNA to make matter worse with useless deceiving propaganda of what could be if we allow them to get into our wallet and pick up 350US$.

Can you imagine doing this in person? Ring the doorbell , talk someone into giving you 350US$ with nothing else to prove you'll deliver but 3D renders and plastic molds ..... and btw wait for 1Y+ and btw you'll pay also for the prototype and maybe for the feasibility study on the prototype itself .... it never ends with these guys.

We have yet to see a working motherboard but they have video of working games?

Can you say FRAUD!

Fraud is a bit of a strong word for me at this point. But I would sign off on misguided, ill-conceived or trainwreck. I really like Mike and hope he doesn't wreck himself on this deal. When I said fraud is a strong word, I guess I mean it is too strong to describe the intention of the people involved, but it could very well become an apt legal description if things go terribly wrong.

• Like 4

Anyone that gives money at this point deserves to have their money taken.

Not necessarily. There will be people who haven't gone through the forum debate cycle (mostly here and NeoGaf I assume) and will get notice of the Indiegogo and perhaps not know to ask the critical questions. We all can't be informed about everything, so I can't say those people - who likely had their own good intentions much like the Retro console people themselves (no matter how botched to this point) - deserve anything negative. In any case, I think we can all agree that a simple prototype with final specs - even if it's not what the manufactured/refined version would be - would have headed off a lot of the vitriol and realistic concerns.

• Like 6