IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

The wife is concerned if they need a kickstarter to get funding to build the hardware, will they need another one to cover manufacturing costs? And yet a third round to cover distribution and operations costs..

I just listened to the podcast. What's with the double-standard of philanthropy? They're not risking their hides, neither should you.

They dissed emulation at 1:11:12, too. They dissed my favorite method of classic gaming. Emulation gets the Quadrun! voice right - and a million other things too.

You hit on something that's been rumored on the facebook page. Some people are saying that they might have lesser tiers or a lower goal amount to just create the prototype, not full production but maybe still have tiers for people who want to get the full console. I dunno, it's some weird shit Indiegogo does. I can't find a source on this info though, but since it's from the facebook page it's probably just someone who worded something incorrectly and others are running with it.

As for a double-standard for philanthropy, yes, there definitely is a double standard when you're asking the public for money. Most Kickstarter campaigns I've backed had creators who put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their dream and they were successful largely because of it. So for the partner in this venture to say he's not willing to go the extra mile at an important moment for his project is completely in poor taste. I think it's been pretty well established by now that if the RVGS team put in more work they would be launching this on Kickstarter. If they fail they only have themselves to blame, the public has no obligation to be philanthropists for their benefit.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 2

The more I think of it, them showing the cardboard is the big turn point.

If they didn't lots of people would have thought they worked on a prototype, and they could use "when the prototype will be finished after the funding" to keep more people connected.

I don't say they should have lied but this act sure made the funding for themselves much harder. More people that wanted to think this would happen would have stayed in the campaign.

Not only do I feel ashamed that I wanted to support this, but also happy since I'll be outside the frustration for backers in the time after when the money all is spent in front of their eyes, by their "complete openness".

Edited by Atlantis

While we wait for the Indiegogo campaign to begin..

Trivia:

Steve Woita was a technician assigned to engineer Walt Broedner when they were both working at Apple during the //e heyday. It was their job to reduce the chip count in the II+ and come up with what is now known as the MMU+IOU custom chipset in the //e and //c.

They took this:

post-4806-0-69475900-1442648545_thumb.jpg

..and made this:

post-4806-0-98178200-1442648542_thumb.jpg

By way of this!

post-4806-0-94450000-1442648540_thumb.png

This last photo shows the manually wire-wrapped prototype of both chips, 344-0010 and 344-0020. They basically built those two chips out of discrete 74xx series parts. Look at that! A hand-wired prototype! Those guys fuckin' knew how to party!

Granted it's just a vintage //e we're talking about here. Your kid drools on toys 100x more sophisticated.

And how much do you think those parts cost? A couple of hundred at most, even back in those days. So its not like they need millions. And with the tools of today there IS NO EXCUSE for not showing working hardware 8 months into the game.

Using all the hot air I made enough popcorn for everyone!

post-4806-0-72354300-1442651481_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

come on guys.. I'll stay cautiously optimistic but if you spent a year fucking around with molds and what not, their hardware guy could have cobbled together SOMETHING. I don't care how lame it is. Just f'ing bring it tomorrow or you run no chance at all..

Yeah, I hope they bring something. And not just some sort of Bigfoot-like video or pictures, but something nice and clear -- perhaps even a video of their hardware showing a game running. Sure, it won't fit inside their case but at least we'd know better if the hardware basics are solid.

At least today we'll hopefully get some answers. If it's more vague non-answers to allegedly protect their IP then I think they're just continuing to nail shut the RVGS-branded coffin. Or, it may be too late; we'll see. It's showtime!

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

Yeah, I hope they bring something. And not just some sort of Bigfoot-like video or pictures, but something nice and clear -- perhaps even a video of their hardware showing a game running. Sure, it won't fit inside their case but at least we'd know better if the hardware basics are solid.

At least today we'll hopefully get some answers. If it's more vague non-answers to allegedly protect their IP then I think they're just continuing to nail shut the RVGS-branded coffin. Or, it may be too late; we'll see. It's showtime!

I'm pretty sure the crowd-funding page will look great. The question is whether it will have substance. Probably/hopefully at least one of them is scrambling right now, editing video or pictures to show us something we haven't seen so far. Otherwise it will be a tough sell.

My honest .02 after seeing that video...

"Can we borrow your game store tonight after closing? It's urgent!"

*The stuff Wiota is talking about is two generations behind what they already decided to abandon a week ago.

*The same game clips in the same order, none of them actually running on the hardware.

*I nearly burst out laughing when they say "bombarded with cut scenes" and at that exact moment one of the cutscenes for Tiny Knight is on.

*What is up with the 'make the music louder for 20 seconds' after the fade to black at the end? It reminded me of those guys who decide to best way to evaluate a stereo is to turn it up obnoxiously loud in the store.

My take on the whole situation:

"I got a great deal on Jag moulds and cases. We gotta dream up a widget to put inside so people will buy them. I don't care what it is, but it's gotta sound good".

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 2

Why is there a flap over the rear where the heat sinks are visibile?

Seems like the repeated selling point is that this system will provide collectibility well into the future. That's well and good, but there won't be ANY retro game stores 20 years from now anyway.

Edited by Greg2600

While we wait for the Indiegogo campaign to begin..

Trivia:

Steve Woita was a technician assigned to engineer Walt Broedner when they were both working at Apple during the //e heyday. It was their job to reduce the chip count in the II+ and come up with what is now known as the MMU+IOU custom chipset in the //e and //c.

They took this:

attachicon.gifapple2pluspcb-h.jpg

..and made this:

attachicon.gifapple2e-mb-1986-2.jpg

By way of this!

attachicon.gifDISCRETEMMU+IOU.png

This last photo shows the manually wire-wrapped prototype of both chips, 344-0010 and 344-0020. They basically built those two chips out of discrete 74xx series parts. Look at that! A hand-wired prototype! Those guys fuckin' knew how to party!

Granted it's just a vintage //e we're talking about here. Your kid drools on toys 100x more sophisticated.

And how much do you think those parts cost? A couple of hundred at most, even back in those days. So its not like they need millions. And with the tools of today there IS NO EXCUSE for not showing working hardware 8 months into the game.

Just remember that now they can build a prototype using an FPGA to replace that garbage.

All they need initially is a board with a header or two to link to an FPGA development board.

Yeah, they may need to change some FPGA code for the final board but they should have something running by now.

This reeks of I lost/hate my job but I could use crowdfunding to create a job for myself.

Since all the effort appears to be directed at smoke and mirrors I have to wonder what if anything has been done to engineer this.

The only thing we know for sure is that they purchase the old jag plastic molds right?

*edit*

Based on the last video, all they are doing is building another FPGA board.

How many of those are there now?

Oh, but this one will be in a jag case and have a cartridge slot.

Which is clearly superior to an SD card slot how?

Oh right, it will cost more for a custom cart.

As far as I can tell, all they will do is port other people's open source versions of different machines to it.

Edited by JamesD

My take on the whole situation:

"I got a great deal on Jag moulds and cases. We gotta dream up a widget to put inside so people will buy them. I don't care what it is, but it's gotta sound good".

I've been wanting to say something similar. He bought the Jaguar moldings, looked at an empty shell and thought "what if we put some video gamey stuff inside and sell a NEW console?!" A crazy but noble idea, and one I wanted to support. But in the 8(?) months since he got the hardware guy on board, they have NOTHING to demonstrate a proof of concept. By this point, even a non-working prototype would be something. SOMETHING!

I suppose it's almost too late now, but the RVGS team should stop now and return later, and once they have something to show THEN ask for crowdfunding. This is supposed to be a HARDWARE project, correct?? The case should have been the last part to worry about.

What irks me is that Mike had be purposefully leading us (meaning the public) on to think that they have been working on some kind of prototype, using phrases on their site such as "what's under the hood" instead of "what WILL BE under the hood, maybe." It wasn't until people starting really pressing for something tangible that the photos of the cardboard were posted then deleted, and now he has confirmed they haven't even BEGUN the prototyping process.

I don't think Mike is a scammer, but he's making promises he may or may not be able to deliver. And hey, if you get that money FIRST, who cares? So what if it ends up being 1, 2 or 5 years, or never? He has mentioned that he has vendors lined up but is waiting to see how successful the funding campaign is. So he is contacting people and trying to haggle big purchases with money he may or may not ever have? And asking Kickstarter to change their policy (which they waived for him anyway) for a campaign that may or may not have been successful? And asking "the crowdfunding community" for money to make something that may or may not even work?

Do you like today's flavor?

That one has a little bit of an "overly-affectionate uncle" vibe to it. I'm sure that he is someone that I should recognize, but unfortunately I do not.

He's probably David Childress ... if my guess is right I foresee Tsoukalos appearing!!!

post-36731-0-52757100-1442677905_thumb.jpg

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2