IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Interesting concept but :

- on real jaguar, the power led is between both subD-HD15, how do you add a led between both USB connectors ? do you made changes in the top plastic to move the led ?

- USB connectors seems very near of each one, is there enough space to plug 2 USB cables ?

- USB connectors and subD-9 seems very near of each one, is there enough space to plug a subD-9 cable and an USB cable ? is the footprint of subd-9 and USB connectors enough small to be so closed each other on the PCB ?

What is the USB connectors used ? type A ?

is the USB connector footprint enough small to not touch the power push button ?

- How do you modify the mold to move the subD connectors to leave enough space for USB connectors ?

Edited by SCPCD
  • Like 4

Just a heads up for those interested in this thing. I am having a meeting with Konami tomorrow afternoon (Central Standard Time) concerning their alleged "involvement" with the RETRO VGS. I will be doing a follow up article, sooner than later, based on what I find out from Konami, Capcom, Namco and a few others. So far though, I have only confirmed independent developers that are listed in the articles so far. Take that as you will.

Did you figure out how Konami is 'involved'?

Konami was purging it's digital entertainment division, last I heard. They are all about parlor gaming (Pachinko, slots, etc...) and mobile now. :sad:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/talking_point_is_konami_about_to_exit_the_console_game_business

Edited by stardust4ever

I think the fact that I was asked, and obliged, removing Konami, Capcom, Namco and others from the original article speaks volumes for their stance on this console. Take that as you will.

• Like 1

A thought just occurred to me. With the FPGA bit, it would be possible to license not only console homebrew but also full blown arcade games. So you could have exact replicas of the arcade experience from a home console. I think people might pay for this. If a lot of big devs throw in support for the Retro VGS, we may end up getting arcade games ported. I imagine support, if at all, would be hit and miss much like Nintendo's Virtual Console is lacking many classics due to licensing nightmares.

Another thought is unlicensed development. Suppose Krikzz or someone developed a flash cart with SD card built in and FPGA cores for various systems. Load a boot menu with a selection of non-infringing* cores for retro game system of your choice, then once the core platform is loaded, you select from a list of non-infringing* homebrew ROMs from the SD card.

*Piracy is not allowed... :ahoy:

EDIT: Another thought, a "piggy back" cartridge could have the FPGA core for the system in question and use a retro cart port on the top for non-infringing use of console FPGA cores. But this may be problematic in that the Retro VGS cartridge port will likely use a serial connection for streaming data or otherwise may not support enough address lines for pass through to a vintage cartridge port without a bunch of translation circuitry on the cart side. Then it would be more like a Retron5-style dumper/emulator than a true FPGA console with full access to the cart bus.

EDIT2: Also it would be cute if the RetroVGS had a built in Jag core that could detect and read from Jaguire carts. :D

Edited by stardust4ever

Suppose Krikzz or someone developed a flash cart with SD card built in and FPGA cores for various systems. Load a boot menu with a selection of non-infringing* cores for retro game system of your choice, then once the core platform is loaded, you select from a list of non-infringing* homebrew ROMs from the SD card.

I've got that already, its called the MiST

And when (for instance) I load the NES core, there's nobody to tell me what I can or can't load afterwards :P

• Like 3

I've got that already, its called the MiST

And when (for instance) I load the NES core, there's nobody to tell me what I can or can't load afterwards :P

Nothing from the 16-bit era? SNES, Genesis/MD, TurboGrafx? These consoles all utilize well under the 16Mbyte limit of combined ROM/RAM, so they should be doable.

Nothing from the 16-bit era? SNES, Genesis/MD, TurboGrafx? These consoles all utilize well under the 16Mbyte limit of combined ROM/RAM, so they should be doable.

Don't take this the wrong way (as I know some people have already) but I don't think you understand the fundamentals of FPGA price/capacity/performance, or the complexity involved in developing 'cores'

• Like 3

Don't take this the wrong way (as I know some people have already) but I don't think you understand the fundamentals of FPGA price/capacity/performance, or the complexity involved in developing 'cores'

Well the Retro VGS has an FPGA capable of doing Neo Geo (32-bit) and a whole lot more. Just saying...

Well the Retro VGS has an FPGA capable of doing Neo Geo (32-bit) and a whole lot more. Just saying...

Pics or it didn't happen. The Neo uses a 16-bit 68k and an 8-bit z80. Not sure how that adds up to 32-bits. Fumes, most likely.

• Like 1