IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Any chance of seeing Atari licensing out a 2600 Core (or any other of their other platform IPs) and collection of games on a cart for this?

That'll help sell systems because there are no other ways to play 2600 games today.

• Like 2

Any chance of seeing Atari licensing out a 2600 Core (or any other of their other platform IPs) and collection of games on a cart for this?

That general idea (though ASIC, not FPGA) would be called the Atari Flashback and it's already been done at least five times...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not even sure I'll buy one of these consoles, but I'm strangely fascinated.

RVGS made an announcement on Facebook:

** THE LEGENDS SERIES ** Celebrate your favorite video game character with this Limited Edition Run of 10,000 KICKSTARTER ONLY RETRO VGS console colors (10,000 combined total all colors). Look for our next Limited Edition Color Series of 5,000 coming next week.

In response to someone's saying they prefer a clear console, he replied that "They are coming. :) "

Pictures of the very bright two-tone red, green, blue and yellow consoles can be found via the Facebook post. Here's the red one:

11265249_823174067751865_578642086019117

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. It reminds me of the Pokemon' edition Nintendo 64's. I think the candy colors need to be toned down if they're thinking of going to production with these. The idea of colors is a great idea, but not something that looks Fisher Price.

• Like 6

This isn't directly on topic, but I've never understood why some people care about how a console looks (or other superficialities). It's about the games, isn't it? Why would the color of the plastic matter on the physical means of getting those games onto the screen? I'm genuinely curious. Don't take it as criticism, so much as sheer incomprehension on my part. The appearance of the device has nothing to do with how good the games are.

This isn't directly on topic, but I've never understood why some people care about how a console looks (or other superficialities). It's about the games, isn't it? Why would the color of the plastic matter on the physical means of getting those games onto the screen? I'm genuinely curious. Don't take it as criticism, so much as sheer incomprehension on my part. The appearance of the device has nothing to do with how good the games are.

If it's sitting in say your living room or family room, then aesthetics do matter to a degree. It won't necessarily be a deal breaker, but you also don't want to look at an eyesore all the time either.

• Like 1

They may be going for the kids' market (though there are adults on Facebook who love certain colors). Or maybe it's to be reminiscent of N64 controllers? I'm think I still have my four controllers that match each of those consoles. :grin:

For fun I thought I'd play with the colors a bit and try to get them to be a little less Fisher-Price. Maybe:

post-39941-0-70354800-1432162846_thumb.jpg

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 1

Whatever way you spin it you can't make a Jag console aesthetically pleasing. Just IMHO.

The wife expressed interest in having a retro gaming setup added to one of the entertainment rooms. To my delight I just have to make it look decent and uncluttered! So I was wondering what to get. I was thinking of a genuine VCS + Harmony to represent the real classics for real. And then build another Micro-ITX i7 + bliss box to pick up the rest and represent the arcade through emulation. I also thought of "steampunking" a decrepit Apple II or VCS, because that would fit in with the Belle Époque decor she's got going.

To my delight I just have to make it look decent and uncluttered! So I was wondering what to get.

If I had to use original hardware and remain uncluttered, an Atari 800 + Incognito would be the solution. Otherwise, meh, get a MiST or as you said a micro-ITX i7.

• Like 2

This new company that calls themselves "Atari"? No. They wouldn't know a good thing if it bit them in the ol'kisser.

I'm not even sure I'll buy one of these consoles, but I'm strangely fascinated.

RVGS made an announcement on Facebook:

In response to someone's saying they prefer a clear console, he replied that "They are coming. :) "

Pictures of the very bright two-tone red, green, blue and yellow consoles can be found via the Facebook post. Here's the red one:

Supa Merry-O Edition... Yes, please! Just cut out an "M" on white vinyl and apply to the center to complete the look. :grin:

So when do the kickstarter start so I can fund preorder this puppy?

Edited by stardust4ever

D'oh, I completely missed the classic-game color references. Classic-gamer fail. ;)

Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Link.

Seriously, how did I miss the Mario colors as well?

Pretty hard to miss the inspiration for this.

zlywwscasjlgisz2rahm.jpg

mario_remote_plus_red.jpg

Obviously they can't place an "M" on it due to copyright but you get the idea.

Edited by stardust4ever

If I had to use original hardware and remain uncluttered, an Atari 800 + Incognito would be the solution. Otherwise, meh, get a MiST or as you said a micro-ITX i7.

I'm going to start on the (actually) mini-ITX console beginning in June. The jury's still out on what, or if, there will be any more hardware beyond this little box. It certainly has the power and versatility to do all the classics in good form - and perhaps improve them in subtle ways like having pause & savestate capabilities. Speed-up and slow-down clock speeds too.