IGNORED

Coleco Turbo "Prototype" RELEASED !

Bushie2600

If I recall, there was a big discussion on how those buildings (which change the colors from white to green to white, black for the street, white and then green and white again) would even be possible. :P

You don't have to switch that often. You can keep the foreground or the background color constant. And then you would only have to switch twice/row.

That sounds simple compared to Rubik's Cube 3D which made up to eight different colors/row.

But then you have to add some sprites.

BTW: Does anybody have a link to those fake Doom screenshots? I would like to compare.

And are there any other screenshots from Turbo existing?

the origina messge was posted after 9pm on the 31st, which if you are saying that their time is 10 hours ahead, then it is in fact well into april 1st. That would really suck. If it is fake, at least they spent the time to make it look real.

No doubt! Hats off if it is INDEED a fake, cuz it's very good!

But I am hoping -- nay, PRAYING that it's real!

where i lived in new york when I was a kid, after the crash, I saw many interesting things. I wish I could remember it all. I bought a SW waterworld for $10 at a local store, and I have several rock solid memories of 2600 turbo by coleco in the usual atari colored coleco game boxes, but I never bought it becuase I already had the colecovsion version which I liked better. I wish I could remember everything I saw back then. Stores had rows of glib and other obscure stuff I had never seen before. iirc there is only one selchow & writer game listed and I remember seeing their logo on something else for the 2600. I wonder if it was just a display box...

If I recall, there was a big discussion on how those buildings (which change the colors from white to green to white, black for the street, white and then green and white again) would even be possible. :P

You don't have to switch that often. You can keep the foreground or the background color constant. And then you would only have to switch twice/row.

That sounds simple compared to Rubik's Cube 3D which made up to eight different colors/row.

But then you have to add some sprites.

BTW: Does anybody have a link to those fake Doom screenshots? I would like to compare.

And are there any other screenshots from Turbo existing?

I think that the question is not "is it possible", but rather "would it have been done that way" ;) The Rubic's Cube was virtually unknown until very recently...and even then it had many programmers and non-programmers stumped for a while.

Doom here:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcad...91/2600DOOM.HTM

where i lived in new york when I was a kid, after the crash, I saw many interesting things. I wish I could remember it all. I bought a SW waterworld for $10 at a local store, and I have several rock solid memories of 2600 turbo by coleco in the usual atari colored coleco game boxes, but I never bought it becuase I already had the colecovsion version which I liked better. I wish I could remember everything I saw back then. Stores had rows of glib and other obscure stuff I had never seen before. iirc there is only one selchow & writer game listed and I remember seeing their logo on something else for the 2600. I wonder if it was just a display box...

Memory is a tricky business...especially when hype is involved. I remember quite a few titles that my memory swear were real, but acutally were never even made. It's more likely that you saw a flyer or the CV games near the 2600 boxes...and just didn't put much thought into it at the time.

Memory is a tricky business...especially when hype is involved. I remember quite a few titles that my memory swear were real, but acutally were never even made. It's more likely that you saw a flyer or the CV games near the 2600 boxes...and just didn't put much thought into it at the time.

Memory is a tricky business, but you see, the 2600 turbo thing, at the time I never knew there was any hype, I was just a kid. I didn't even know that 2600 turbo was not supposed to exist. I had read reviews and seen pictures. The really tricky part is that I can remember on more than one occassion, at the same store, looking at the game, holding the box, and trying to decide whether it was worth $29.99 to see if the 2600 version was any good. Heck I always thought 2600 turbo existed, and was known, until only a few years ago.

Exactly...I remember the same thing about LadyBug and DeathRace.

The thing was that there were sooo many titles...all flooded into the market seemingly overnight. The mind gets a bit muddled with that amount of input sometimes.

Anybody else have some vaporware titles that were burned into your fevered adolescent mind?

I don't know if it's real or not... but it's extremely easy to fake a photograph like that if you wanted to do it.

All you need is Photoshop (or any graphics editing program), a computer with video out, and a TV. Make any screenshot you wish, output it to a TV, and take a pic of it. You could shoot it directly off a computer monitor, for that matter, but by outputting it to a TV, you could include the surrounding TV cabinet for that extra "authenticity".

You could even shoot a picture of an Atari 2600 with a fake prototype cart in it, next to the TV. Since the cables are on the back, nobody could really tell where the video signal was actually coming from.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but that making something fake for an April Fool's joke is pretty easy.

What makes me a little suspicious (and I'm really hoping it's authentic, since I posted in that earlier thread about Turbo) is that the graphics aren't blurred. Usually when you take a picture of a moving game on a TV set, there's some blurring of the graphics. I'd think especially in Turbo this would be the case.

If this is for real, it would be amazing and I would be interested in getting a copy.

I'm skeptical because of the timing, though. Plus, why would someone from "Down Under" make a trip stateside to go to Connecticut? CT is no goldmine when it comes to Atari 2600 games.

--John from Connecticut

Errr...

Too much of a coincidence. Why make it public knowledge on April 1? and why not dump the ROM for verification before going public?

Sounding more and more bogus, but I'll hold off judgement until I hear differently or see a downloadable ROM to try out myself.

Thanks for the Link Godzilla. That made for some fun reading :D

If this is for real, it would be amazing and I would be interested in getting a copy.  

I'm skeptical because of the timing, though.  Plus, why would someone from "Down Under" make a trip stateside to go to Connecticut?  CT is no goldmine when it comes to Atari 2600 games.

--John from Connecticut

Shhhhh!! Don't tell them about our goldmine here.

Allan

Fakers forgot the "comb" of black HMOVE lines along the left edge. And AFAIK, the three-color backgrounds (green/black/green) are only possible without sprites in the way. Sprite positioning requires an entire scanline to itself.

Nice try though.

I have no idea what you are talking about, I stuck the board in the machine and took pictures of the TV, it's a little 14 inch Sony TV.

I just hope this isn't another Flexured.

What is Flexured ?

All you need is Photoshop (or any graphics editing program), a computer with video out, and a TV.

I don't have video out on my graphics card and why would I do that ?

I'm skeptical because of the timing, though. Plus, why would someone from "Down Under" make a trip stateside to go to Connecticut? CT is no goldmine when it comes to Atari 2600 games.

I visited with a friend of mine, his parents live near Hartford. We went to a fleamarket and I bought a box full of Atari items, this board was one of them.

Who is Albert ?

Is there a way to attach a MPG movie of the game running somehow, my digital camera can make short clips ?

:?

Sorry about all the questions, I am sort of excited that I found this. :)