IGNORED

Atari Lynx II schematics for power ..

leonk

In an effort to fix 2 Atari Lynx II systems, I spent some time updating the Lynx 1 power section schematics with the correct markings as found on the Lynx II. I hope using the information found here will help someone fix their Lynx that might no longer start up.

Let me know what you think.

If anyone wants to post this on their web site / wiki .. feel free.

post-5601-0-83472500-1424986958_thumb.png

• Like 1

I know from helping someone try to fix their Lynx that the component reference on their Lynx differed to those of the schematic already on AA so having the revised references is helpful, however there is an error...

The text at the top of the schematic states that pin 14 of U6 is connected to GND, this is incorrect as Pin 14 (Vdd) is connected to either the battery voltage or the external power voltage as applicable. Pin 7 (Vss) is connected to GND as correctly indicated elsewhere on the schematic.

Thanks. This is very useful info.

It would also be nice to create a mod of how to replace the crappy zener with a modern regulator. Lots of Lynxes have got killed by this bad power regulator.

You can just replace everything with a 7805, which despite being quite old is more than up to the task.

I've done this with a few Lynxes which had their original regulators fail.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to follow the German site instructions for 7805 mod except use a modern switching 7805 drop in replacement. It's much more efficient (>90%) with no heat like 7805. Only flaw is cost. $10 vs $1.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to follow the German site instructions for 7805 mod except use a modern switching 7805 drop in replacement. It's much more efficient (>90%) with no heat like 7805. Only flaw is cost. $10 vs $1.

The switching 7805 I found on the net requires 6.5V min voltage to operate. It would be nice to find a regulator that could operate also when the input is from an USB. That is above 4.75V. Any ideas?

--

Karri

Hi,

The solution could be to use an upsteper B0509S/D-2W, it uses as input range of 4.5-5.5v 490 mA (maximun) although the output is 9v 222 mA, and I don't know it is enough to feed the console across the 7805. if you don't want to use the 7805 then the B0505S/D-2W has an input equal to the B0509S/D-2W but the output is 5v 400 mA.

http://html.alldatasheet.net/html-pdf/611615/MORNSUN/B0305S-2W/296/1/B0305S-2W.html

Un saludo

Googling ebay turnes up toys that do what I was looking for:

post-2099-0-67330200-1425456549_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Regulator-Step-up-Step-down-2-in-1-/370538642812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5645d2fd7c

So the input could be USB or batteries between 2.8V..6*1.5V. It should then exhaust the batteries until there is 2.8V left giving me loooong playing time.

I wonder what has not been invented yet in the range of useless gadgets. Ebay seems to be full of all kind of electronic toys.

Edited by karri

I prefer to keep my systems as stock look on outside as possible; be able to play using DC adapter, 6 batteries or even the Lynx extended battery pack (kind of cool to show people). Very much true to the original design.

If an NES can take 9V AC (or 9V DC in Famicom) and convert it to 5V using a 7805, not sure why we can't either (and Lynx 2 original input is 9V!) If you look at my updated schematics, the German hack replaces D11 with the 7805. There is no way anything but regulated 5V gets into the system (battery or DC plug). It's the simplest, cheapest, cleanest mod. No need to over complicate it.

On the point of checking your own Lynxes 5v rail - A quick easy way I found yesterday was to plug in one of those 'repro / homebrew' carts with EPROM on it. Measure voltage DC between pin 32 and 16 on the exposed game chip. I checked all 4 of mine and they were all around 4.85v with the system switched on and a game playing.

Edited by GadgetUK

• 1 year later...

I have a question: what do the "Power On" and "AC connected" signals actually do , I mean what do the Lynx chips do with them ? I think the Power On is actually used to turn off the Lynx but when does the Lynx decide to turn on itself, is it voltage dependent ? Also, what does the Lynx "care" about the AC connected signal, I don't think the Lynx works differently from batteries or when AC power is connected ?

I have a question: what do the "Power On" and "AC connected" signals actually do , I mean what do the Lynx chips do with them ? I think the Power On is actually used to turn off the Lynx but when does the Lynx decide to turn on itself, is it voltage dependent ? Also, what does the Lynx "care" about the AC connected signal, I don't think the Lynx works differently from batteries or when AC power is connected ?

I had the same question and the Atari Lynx 1 manual answered that for me. The manual says "Your Lynx has been designed . . .to conserve battery power. When using batteries [here's where the Lynx cares about the AC connected signal. When on AC power, this signal is high. When on batteries, this signal is low, thus telling the Lynx if you are on batteries or AC power], the Lynx system will automatically shut itself off after four minutes or non-use. On AC adaptor power, the unit's built-in shut off mechanism [the use of "Power ON"] will turn the Lynx off if not used for approximately one hour."

I think this function was removed on the Lynx II.

Edited by Mojado
  • Like 1

It's really "Power_On_Not". This signal is usually low. When Mikey wants to turn the Lynx off, it turns that signal high, resulting in the Lynx power supply turning off (and Mikey losing power, so signal "Power_On_Not" goes low again).

When that signal is high, it's like pressing the Lynx off button. When signal is low, it's like the off button not being pressed.

• Like 1

I know from helping someone try to fix their Lynx that the component reference on their Lynx differed to those of the schematic already on AA so having the revised references is helpful, however there is an error...

The text at the top of the schematic states that pin 14 of U6 is connected to GND, this is incorrect as Pin 14 (Vdd) is connected to either the battery voltage or the external power voltage as applicable. Pin 7 (Vss) is connected to GND as correctly indicated elsewhere on the schematic.

I had a look at the Lynx 1 schematic and pin of U6 14 actually comes from the cartridge connector, I'm sure this is a simple pass-through of Vcc to disable power up if there is no cartridge inserted but I still wanted to point this out. I don't think this changed on the Lynx 2 ? Edited by Level42

https://console5.com/wiki/Atari_Lynx#Lynx_II

Schematic shows the same for II. It is supposed to be like a switch, no power at all when there's no cart inserted. This is supposed to greatly reduce battery leeching when someone stores Lynx without the cart for a long time. If you bridged 2 pins, you can turn on Lynx without the cart, you will get "INSERT GAME" screen.

• Like 1