IGNORED

Create and burn eproms for standard Jaguar 2 chip cartridges

rayik

First off, Rayik thank you very much for this great write up! Links to all the files needed was greatly appreciated! I'm having one issue that I'm not sure if anyone has run across: The romsplit program will not run on my 64 bit OS of windows. I've tried searching for other Atari Romsplit programs, but always find the same one. Is there a program that will split the rom in my 64 bit system, (Jiffi does everything but split) ?

Edit: Crap, Jagcrypt is doing the same thing too. Looking for a 64 bit Jagcrypt now....

Edited by bender3455

First off, Rayik thank you very much for this great write up! Links to all the files needed was greatly appreciated! I'm having one issue that I'm not sure if anyone has run across: The romsplit program will not run on my 64 bit OS of windows. I've tried searching for other Atari Romsplit programs, but always find the same one. Is there a program that will split the rom in my 64 bit system, (Jiffi does everything but split) ?

Edit: Crap, Jagcrypt is doing the same thing too. Looking for a 64 bit Jagcrypt now....

I had used a x86 win tablet and did not realize this. You do not need 64 bit versions of the programs.

With x64 windows, run romsplit in DosBox. The DosBox tutorial is very helpful. Don't forget to set the folder path.

It's slow but it works fine. Good luck.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

Edited the original post to add details about .abs and .cof files.

Done with this project. This project was started only because of one specific title that could not be run on the skunkboard. I've now added 105 more titles to an already nearly complete collection of original releases.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 1

Good stuff there, very handy to have all this info collected in one place!

I'd just like to add that jiffi also has one unique feature for people that want to burn carts of their own - on a few titles it can apply known patches, like for example enabling rotary mode in T2k and the Checkered Flag steering patch. So you don't have to hunt down those fixes!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Wow, thanks for the detailed write up of what would otherwise be an excruciatingly complicated thing to figure out. I think I will eventually give this a try when the budget allows me to order some dead cartridge boards from B&C.

I'm curious about this part because I have a batch of 27C160's left over from a Naomi bios burning project...

• 27C160 eprom (42 pin - 2 MB) (can uses these as substitute for 27C800)

Are there any changes in the datafile required to use two 27C160's on one board? Or can I just burn the hi and lo onto these as though I'm using 1 27C160 and 1 27C800?

Thanks!

Are there any changes in the datafile required to use two 27C160's on one board? Or can I just burn the hi and lo onto these as though I'm using 1 27C160 and 1 27C800?

Thanks!

I've substituted the larger 2 mb chips for the 1 mb and they work fine. No reason mix and match shouldn't work as long as its a 2mb game being burned.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just want to add to this thread because finding jaguar info for this is practically non-existent lol. This is a great write up but it could use some extra info on a few things.

I recently took advantage of the massive cybermorph carts available. I found that for the 700700-2 there are 2 versions. You have (2) 42 hole pcb's that take the m27c160 eproms, those have blacker shells. Then you have the grayer shells which contains (4) 32 hole pcb's.

I managed to find a 512 KB eprom in a google image which was an mx27c4000 which you can't buy anymore, easily anyhow. I found that am27c040 is a good alternative. At least this way you can make 2MB games.

Now there was no cut and dry spelled out info on splitting the rom into 4 files. But when using romsplit it does give you a glossary, I used it and I was able to get 4 working u files.

I have to use dosbox so I will post my entire procedure that needs to be used. In case you need to use dosbox too "64 bit system".

First I made a folder in c: called dosbox. This is where I put my roms that need to be split and romsplit.exe

1. open dosbox

2. type mount c: c:\dosbox

3. type c:

now you are in dosbox folder

4. type romsplit

this will bring up the romsplit program "picture below"

for splitting 2 files I type

romsplit gamerom.j64 -we the (2) is default for 2MB games and I have found if you don't type (4) for 4MB games it fixes it for you anyhow and splits the 4MB games into (2) 2MB hi lo files.

for splitting 4 u1-4 files I type

romsplit gamerom.j64 -bwe

I am unsure if all of those needed entered as I am very novice at this program but it did successfully produce 4 files that worked on a 4 chip 32 hole donor pcb.

I was looking for a 32 dip 1MB eprom but it does not appear to be one based on the way eproms are designed, they do not have a vpp at pin 1 but an A19. Now here are a few usefull images.

post-25078-0-63018400-1494293959_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I just want to add to this thread because finding jaguar info for this is practically non-existent lol. This is a great write up but it could use some extra info on a few things.

I recently took advantage of the massive cybermorph carts available. I found that for the 700700-2 there are 2 versions. You have (2) 42 hole pcb's that take the m27c160 eproms, those have blacker shells. Then you have the grayer shells which contains (4) 32 hole pcb's.

I managed to find a 512 KB eprom in a google image which was an mx27c4000 which you can't buy anymore, easily anyhow. I found that a m27c040 is a good alternative. At least this way you can make 2MB games.

Now there was no cut and dry spelled out info on splitting the rom into 4 files. But when using romsplit it does give you a glossary. I used and I was able to get 4 working u files.

I have to use dosbox so I will post my entire procedure that needs to be used. In case you need to use dosbox too "64 bit system".

First I made a folder in c: called dosbox. This is where I put my roms that need to be split and romsplit.exe

1. open dosbox

2. type mount c: c:\dosbox

3. type c:

now you are in dosbox folder

4. type romsplit

this will bring up the romsplit program "picture below"

for splitting 2 files I type

romsplit gamerom.j64 -we the (2) is default for 2MB games and I have found if you don't type (4) for 4MB games it fixes it for you anyhow and splits the 4MB games into (2) 2MB hi lo files.

for splitting 4 u1-4 files I type

romsplit gamerom.j64 -bwe

I am unsure if all of those needed entered as I am very novice at this program but it did successfully produce 4 files that worked on a 4 chip 32 hole donor pcb.

I was looking for a 32 dip 1MB eprom but it does not appear to be one based on the way eproms are designed, they do not have a vpp at pin 1 but an A19. Now here are a few usefull images.

attachicon.gifjag eproms.jpg

Thank you for the info & pics!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently picked up a couple Jag cartridge pcb boards. I thought I might try to put together the Checkered flag "steering edition" cart, maybe a Doom II cart and a couple others.

I've run into a bit of trouble though. Hoping I do not have bad PCB's. Did I miss any steps?

Here is what I have done so far:

Took a 4mb game (4096kb)
Opened in Jiffi which stated "Rom with header"
Ran Romsplit program: Romsplit –we gamerom.j64
which gave me two files. .HI and .LO (2048kb each)
Burned .Hi file to M27C160 eprom.
Burned .LO file to M27c160 eprom.
Write and verify were successful for each.
Installed .LO eprom on bottom of cart (U1).
Installed .Hi eprom on top of cart (U2).
Installed 0.1uF capacitor in C1 and C4 slot.
Left C2 and C3 slots empty.
Did not install U3 (93C46 eeprom)
Tried cartridge and Jaguar does not power on at all.
Jaguar works fine with any other retail cartridge.

Yup, it's 34B and 35B, but those are bridged on the cart (you can see it just below C3). So unless the track is cut, it's not the cause.

Check that you didn't put the EPROMs backwards by accident. Check the soldering too to make sure there are no shorts (I'd start by checking the resistance between C3 pins).

• Like 1

Yup, it's 34B and 35B, but those are bridged on the cart (you can see it just below C3). So unless the track is cut, it's not the cause.

Check that you didn't put the EPROMs backwards by accident. Check the soldering too to make sure there are no shorts (I'd start by checking the resistance between C3 pins).

I'll check the resistance as you suggested and post back. I've attached photo's of the actual board with eproms installed.

Ok, possible strange discovery here. When I check the continuity on the pin circled in red I get a reading on almost all the edge connectors.

If I remove the .HI eprom and teste that pin again I only get continuity on 1 edge connector. If I put a different eprom in the U2 slot, I get a reading on almost all edge connectors again. Is it me or does this make absolutely no sense?

One other note. When burning the eproms with the .HI and .LO files this screen comes up (using GQ-4x4 universal programmer):

I leave it on the default which is .bin as shown. There are other options such as .rom...

Edited by Wyluli Wolf

Where did you get this board? It doesn't look official.

And pins 34B and 35B are shorted to VCC, so it's not going to work:

attachicon.gifShort circuit.jpg

It's not official. I had someone draw it up in eagle for me so I could order a few prototype boards to tinker with. Looks like corrections need to be made to the board (guess I wasted my money).

On the official board it looks similar:

But you are saying all 4 pins are not connected to C3? Do I need to remove both traces to 34B and 35B? Why does it look like they are connected on the original pcb? Or is 34B connected to 35B but not to the trace leading to C3? Found a larger photo and it appears that 34B and 35B are bridged but not connected to the C3 trace. Hard to tell in the smaller pics.

Looks like I may need to see if I can get somebody to go over one of these boards and let me know if other corrections need to be made so I can order another small batch :woozy:

Edited by Wyluli Wolf

It's not official. I had someone draw it up in eagle for me so I could order a few prototype boards to tinker with. Looks like corrections need to be made to the board (guess I wasted my money).

Why bother? You can buy official ones from B&C:

http://www.myatari.com/

Found a larger photo and it appears that 34B and 35B are bridged but not connected to the C3 trace.

Yup. Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
:idea:

Install Win hex editor full version.

Load .jag or .j64 rom file

Go to "Edit" > "Modify Data" > Check "Reverse byte order" > Check 2 in "bytes" field > Save changes in the initial rom.

Go to "Tools" > "File Tools" > "Dissect" > "Wordwise (16_bit)"

Name the new files 1st one as "U2" and 2nd one as "U1"

That's it! Burn your new files into 2 eproms, and place each one in the correct position. U1 to U1 etc....

• Like 1