IGNORED

Create and burn eproms for standard Jaguar 2 chip cartridges

rayik

I have had a heck of a time finding the correct sockets for these boards, I keep smaller, up to 40pin, but nothing 42. Does https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M-Electronic-Solutions-Division/4842-6000-CP?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%2fSh%2fkjph1tvt1%2fmEPT%2fXorZIrGZxBfeI%3dseem correct?

I've burned the posted sample, guess I'll try them after work on day this week and see if I can some success...

are you sure?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=42pin+dip&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=42pin+dip+socket&_sacat=0

seems easy enough to me

• Like 1

Thanks to all the helpful (and even the unhelpful) comments, I've been able to create my first working cart.

Its cool to see all the hard work people have put in to help keep these systems running. Now to go back and see what I've done wrong in my previous attempts.

Thanks All.

Update, its source I'm using for the roms, as the Raiden roms I tried to split pass a burn test, but wont run. So at least I know where to start looking.

post-5450-0-34393800-1547768658_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RobPattonDotCom
  • Like 1

Ok, I'm clearly missing something.

I'm using a copy of Raiden

Jiffi confirms the file has the header

Hex edit confirms

Romsplit –we raiden.rom gives me raiden.hi and raiden.lo

Burn those

Have tried this twice, one attempt goes straight to red jaguar screen, the other time it does the jaguar intro, but after that goes into red jag screen, I'm not sure if that is coincidence

Edited by RobPattonDotCom

I need to find some more of the little mini capacitors for the c1 and c4 spots for 3 of the boards I have done. I am trying to find somewhere locally that carries them, but no luck so far.

attachicon.gif20190120_035009.jpg

I believe they are 1uf. Digikey sells 500 for $35.

I'm not sure they are needed. I've made some carts without them and they seem to work. Do not know if there will be any negative long term effects

I believe they are 1uf. Digikey sells 500 for $35.

I'm not sure they are needed. I've made some carts without them and they seem to work. Do not know if there will be any negative long term effects

Thanks for the link. And well what do you know they do work without them!!!

Anybody have any idea what will happen over time without them?

If your still going to be using clear or opaque shells I suggest you invest in some properly printed UV resistant eprom window stickers. I had some made that cover virtually all of the eprom and they do look a lot nicer than cut tape.

Where did you have them made? I remember this generic print shop online that also does mugs and flyers doing stickers as well, but I'm not sure if they were UV resistant... I also cant remember the site

I used a generic online one too, but UK based. The stickers where just a few mm smaller than the eprom, so virtually the whole chip was covered 14x50 mm. Can't remember the cost exactly but 600 stickers came in at about £35. They were vinyl and not paper.

Edited by neo_rg

The capacitors (decoupling capacitors) are there to reduce noise from the power lines caused by the circuitry within the ICs from switching on and off. Not using them may work, but also may introduce random noise into the system (whole Jaguar system), which in turn may lead to strange behaviour and crashes in the extreme. They will also help ensure the EPROMs get a nice smooth power feed, and noise from the system doesn't cause errors reading from the ROMs too.

Personally, I'd say if they are there, they have been put there for a reason, so I'd be inclined to also include them.

• Like 2

The capacitors (decoupling capacitors) are there to reduce noise from the power lines caused by the circuitry within the ICs from switching on and off. Not using them may work, but also may introduce random noise into the system (whole Jaguar system), which in turn may lead to strange behaviour and crashes in the extreme. They will also help ensure the EPROMs get a nice smooth power feed, and noise from the system doesn't cause errors reading from the ROMs too.

Personally, I'd say if they are there, they have been put there for a reason, so I'd be inclined to also include them.

Yeah I ordered some but in the meantime I can still solder chips to the boards and test the games to make sure my solder job was correct without them. I just wanted to make sure turning the system on with one inserted that DOESN'T have the capacitors wouldn't screw up my Jag. I wish RadioShack hadn't went out of buisness as I know they used to carry these.

The digikey link was good. I ordered 100 for now.

Yeah I ordered some but in the meantime I can still solder chips to the boards and test the games to make sure my solder job was correct without them. I just wanted to make sure turning the system on with one inserted that DOESN'T have the capacitors wouldn't screw up my Jag. I wish RadioShack hadn't went out of buisness as I know they used to carry these.

But when they crash, how do you tell if its a bad burn? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?