IGNORED

Atari Flashback 1 controller question...

The Flashback 1 system was based on the "Nintendo-on-a-Chip" that many other TV-games from the same time period used. Because it was really an NES clone internally, the Flashback 1 controllers are electrically compatible with the NES, but not any of Atari's own systems.

• Like 1

I have no use for the original Atari Flashback 1, BUT I have heard rave reviews of it's 7800-styled controllers. Do these controllers work on either the Atari 2600 or the Atari 7800?

I love the controllers from the Flashback 1. I found a couple on ebay that had been modified to work with the 2600/7800 and they are fantastic. You might try searching there.

• Like 1

I love the controllers from the Flashback 1. I found a couple on ebay that had been modified to work with the 2600/7800 and they are fantastic. You might try searching there.

I too like the Flashback 1 controllers. I'm even thinking of modding them to work with a NES. I figure it shouldn't be too hard since the two systems are basically the same. It should just be a cable swap.

Yeah, I was thinking of modding Flashback controllers for either NES or the 7800. I can't think of many NES games that would benefit from that design, though, except maybe Top Gun or other 1st/3rd person games. I wouldn't mind using the Flashback 1 case for a project too, since the actual ported games on it are junk.

I'm seriously thinking of using the FB1 case as an enclosure for a Raspberry Pi. I just need to measure it to make sure it will fit, and design a bridge board so I can mount the connectors properly inside the case.

As for the controllers, they're so small and light that they'd be great for traveling. You could pick up an inexpensive NES-to-USB adapter board and install it right inside the controller, which would give you a USB or MicroUSB controller cable that you can plug directly into a laptop or tablet.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Today I'm replying to a very old topic for the purpose of explaining how the FB1 controller can be used on Atari 80's consoles (including the 7800). So here goes:

In my 1st episode on my Wired-Up Retro YouTube channel I talked about trying to see if there could be a way that I could get Flashback 1 controllers working on the 7800. I talked about using Camerica products like the Camerica Freedom Stick and the Camerica Freedom Connection to get NES controllers working on Atari systems.

Then in the 2nd episode I accomplished the task on the 7800. I used the receiver (with Genesis plugs attached) from the Camerica Freedom Stick, the Freedom Connection, an NES Fourscore, an Edladdin Seagull78 controller adapter, and a custom-made 9pin to NES controller adapter.

Then in the 3rd episode I- among other things- showed how to make the 9 pin to NES controller adapter (solderless connector connected to a cut off NES controller cord).

Here's episode 2 which contains the bulk of the information on this (and don't forget to subscribe to my channel, if you'd decide you like what you see):

Edited by ave1