IGNORED

Looking to purchase a Vectrex, have some questions

clinteastwood1955

I have a Hong Kong made Vectrex. I have read once that the Taiwan made consoles ar not as reliable, but I can't verify or deny that.

My understanding is that the Vectrex is actually a very reliable machine. If you open it up and look at the guts, it's essentially a black &awhile TV with some extra guts to read carts and run code, but doesn't have the tuner and other innards needed to watch a broadcast. In other words, if you take care of it, it's going to be as hardy and reliable as any 30+ TV set,and there are plenty of those still around.

I was leery of buying on via Internet, so I put up a Wanted ad on Craigslist. That worked surprisingly well - I had a call the next day from a guy selling one in nice shape. I went over, checked it out, haggled over the price a bit, and I bought it for $160US, which I think is a very good price. I've had it a month now, and it has been great.

• Like 1

I have 2 vectrex, one works perfect, the other needs to warm up a minute before the screen kicks in. need to replace the caps on that one. but after it is on temprature it works great.

make sure the brightness isn't set to high otherwise you can get white dot burned into the phospher.

Quite reliable, but like many things from that era, may need a recap. There are some chips that may fail, but there is plenty of repair information online if you're handy with a soldering iron. Best bet is to find one that is currently in working condition. Great system and you can have plenty of fun with just the built-in Minestorm. There's also a really simple fix that'll reduce the "Vectrex buzz" by just snipping a ground wire.

Yeah... I notice on eBay that one is decent working order, the one controller, no extra games or boxes, seems to go for about $200-$250 US plus shipping. Ouch...

Though I have to admit, it is a really great console if you like 80s arcade shooters.

Make sure it has a working, self centering controller and Minestorm overlay. They're pretty expensive on their own.

The other thing is make sure that the display is good.

50TBRD posted a link to a great video and with some good points.

I would also say that you need to honestly evaluate your on desire and ability to work on an older Vectrex. As been stated already capacitors may (probably will) need to be replaced to keep the Vectrex in top operating condition. So soldering skills will be needed if you don't farm out the work to another person.

One other part I have noticed needing attention on more than a few Vectrex that have cycled through my possession is the I have also found the rear brightness control to have been broken . The broken control, a potentiometer, will result in the display brightness being maxed out all of the time. When checking the display be sure to check it for any residual shadow / burn spots from being too bright.

As far as the various manufacturing locations, and serial number runs I have not found reliability to be all that different between them. I would say the environment the equipment has been stored in will have a greater effect on the individual unit.

A suggestion for purchasing review. Ensure you receive a video of gameplay action of the Vectrex from the seller before driving out and/or purchasing. Have the seller include the screen, the controls, and views of all side of the case..

• Like 1

http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-a-vectrex/

I found this after I bought mine, & discovered I was very fortunate to get the Hong Kong version with minestorm overlay & a 2'nd controller ... the first controller didn't self center as it should & was quite proud to make a good looking repair of it (took me 2 days just to get label off though so I could re-use it)

I like the "Vectrex Buzz" I'm not a hard core tech so I don't quite know the ramifications of "just snipping a ground wire" would have so I would recommend NOT buying a "no buzz unit" knowing the unit has been opened

if you are a tech I'm sure you can find a great bargain on a non-funtional unit that only needs a minor repair

• Like 1

My understanding is that due to some last minute changes in the design to meet FCC rules, the grounding wire for the speaker was strung too close to the CRT. When there is a lot of activity on the CRT, the grounding wire picks it up as buzz or hum that is heard through the speaker. If this wire is snipped, the buzz is reduced somewhat but not entirely.

Personally I don't find the buzz to be much of an annoyance. If anything, it's part of the 'charm' of the old Vectrex.

• Like 2

Isn't Vectrex prone to blowing out the very rare and long out of production dual Op Amp? The original chip was intended with the original 5" CRT model but when Milton Bradley took on Vectrx, they wanted bigger display and it was basically cobbled together without changing the Op Amp chip so it's being overworked to handle larger yoke for larger CRT.

Unless someone found a way to replace with modern part, when that chip blows, you got flat line or a dot in the CRT and nothing else for the image.

Isn't Vectrex prone to blowing out the very rare and long out of production dual Op Amp?

First I've ever read of that. For several months, I've been following discussion of the Vectrex on both the Proboard forum and the Facebook page for Vectrex Owner's Unite! (Yeah, the name is lame); as near as I can figure the Vectrex is a pretty reliable machine - at least as hardy as any of its early-80s brethren.

Here's a quote from the Video Game Critic's web site:

"Console durability: A. Despite housing its own monitor, the Vectrex is a durable system that ages well and is not known to break under normal use."

• 7 months later...

Ive owned 2 different vectrex's. From what I have seen they have a certain time of year that they are cheaper than others. Try and get a lot with games and two controllers if possible. I think they are the most unique classic console out of the pre crash systems. Me and my wife have a blast playing space wars! She actually asks me to play from time to time, which is amazing considering I have to talk her into playing games on any other console. There really is something awesome about vector graphics!

• Like 2

I picked up my first Vectrex in November of last year and made sure to pick up one made in Hong Kong specifically. I got it off ebay for just under $150 shipped and it's been solid. I heard they were better than the made in Taiwan ones and I guess that would make sense.. anything made in Japan is usually the cream of the crop. I've since picked up a few homebrews and controller options, oh and I also recommend the VecMulti. I used to be on the fence about owning one for the longest time but I'm glad I changed my mind.. the Vectex is definitely one of the coolest and most unique systems ever made.

• 2 years later...

Wow what? ..Care to elaborate? That's almost a 3 year old post of mine that you quoted. ;)

I assume it was the price I paid. ..Yes, it was a steal compared to what people are attempting to charge nowadays for a working Vectrex system w/ controller. Good deals are out there but patience and luck is the key.

Wow what? ..Care to elaborate? That's almost a 3 year old post of mine that you quoted. icon_wink.gif

I assume it was the price I paid. ..Yes, it was a steal compared to what people are attempting to charge nowadays for a working Vectrex system w/ controller. Good deals are out there but patience and luck is the key.

That or possibly the relocation of Hong Kong from South-Eastern China to Japan ;)

• Like 2

Wow what? ..Care to elaborate? That's almost a 3 year old post of mine that you quoted. ;)

No.. this was not about price, it was about geography...