IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

Great news:

The problem went away as soon as I got down to 6 total APT partitions (from 8 to start with). I'm sure I can live with that, but I'm sure draco30, fjc, and phaeron would be interested to learn what might be happening.

If anyone could please do the favor of testing this in real hardware to rule Altirra in or out, that would be helpful to phaeron I'm sure.

...I'm sure draco30, fjc, and phaeron would be interested to learn what might be happening.

Unless you have some special aversion to it, telling me the PBI version number would be an immediate aid towards that goal.

If anyone could please do the favor of testing this in real hardware to rule Altirra in or out, that would be helpful to phaeron I'm sure.

I doubt the emulator is to blame, but the version number of the PBI driver (or a copy of your Ultimate ROM) would be helpful to me. ;)

Unless you have some special aversion to it, telling me the PBI version number would be an immediate aid towards that goal.

I doubt the emulator is to blame, but the version number of the PBI driver (or a copy of your Ultimate ROM) would be helpful to me. ;)

FJC, I did ask you how I could ascertain that information and that I wanted to provide it. Now that you at least mention you would be interested in my U1MB rom, I will get that for you.... coming up....

What's the version number of the PBI BIOS (cold booting SDX with SIDE hardware on will tell you this)?

Uhg. There it is. Sorry I missed it.

I just tried that but I see no PBI BIOS version info? But anway, I did post my U1MB rom file already.

FJC, I did ask you how I could ascertain that information and that I wanted to provide it. Now that you at least mention you would be interested in my U1MB rom...

Myself and rdea6 have told you how to obtain the PBI BIOS version number a total of three times since you asked:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236488-altirra-260-released/page-15?do=findComment&comment=3244823

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236488-altirra-260-released/page-15?do=findComment&comment=3244875

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236488-altirra-260-released/page-15?do=findComment&comment=3244876

An inability to read what's written, resulting in the people attempting to help having to repeat themselves over and over only to be told they ignored the question, can become frustrating.

OK... you spotted it. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hey look, I understand that can be frustrating and I'm sorry I missed it. I really was trying to do whatever I needed to help get this figured out but somehow I was missing that bit. I must be ADD or something. :-D

Anyway, my setup doesn't show me that PBI info like in the posted picture. I'll try to post a movie so you can see what mine looks like (in case I'm ADD again).

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Edited by fujidude

Based on my posted U1MB ROM file, what PBI BIOS do I have in there?

UFlash tells me that it's version 1.0. I just installed the ROM you kindly posted in Altirra here, set up the PCLINK server, rigged up a 2GB SIDE2 PBI HDD with a single 32MB partition on C:, installed the PCLINK.SYS driver from the Rev. B SDX Toolkit ATR, typed DIR PCL:, and a listing of my PCLINK folder duly appeared on the screen (note the device ID). I really have no clue why it wouldn't work for you at the moment.

Woah!!! There's some fur and feathers flying here and it wasn't my fault!!! Damnit - I must be losing my touch. You know, I've got this problem with the 'SIDELoader' I've been meaning to ask about... :) :) ;)

Humour aside; one thing you could try fujidude is directly using the flash updates from either the principle SDX site or FJC's wicked custom distros. This way they write to the correct addresses and you can then save them as a correctly formatted ROM file to then specify and use in the firmware dialogue. I always do it that way when using Altirra and deliberately avoid the 'pre-cooked' ROM's as, many dusty and distant years ago I had some compatibility issues running those 'pre-cooked' ROM's raw inside Altirra. I doubt that was causing your problem in this instance though.

UFlash tells me that it's version 1.0. I just installed the ROM you kindly posted in Altirra here, set up the PCLINK server, rigged up a 2GB SIDE2 PBI HDD with a single 32MB partition on C:, installed the PCLINK.SYS driver from the Rev. B SDX Toolkit ATR, typed DIR PCL:, and a listing of my PCLINK folder duly appeared on the screen (note the device ID). I really have no clue why it wouldn't work for you at the moment.

It does work for me, with a single 32MB partition, and up to six of them even. It's when a 7th is made that it breaks. Can you make 6 or 7 more on you CF and see if the real hardware also breaks the same way?

Thanks for the feedback on the BIOS version. I know I have grabbed my stuff from your site's U1MB zone. Also, I think I used the uflash within Altirra to put the 1.0 into the U1MB and used Altirra to save the U1Mb ROM out again. I have done and tried a lot of things, so my memory gets blurry a bit.

Edited by fujidude

Woah!!! There's some fur and feathers flying here and it wasn't my fault!!!

Did a disagreement happen which I missed?

In any case: once again we're threatening to go way off topic here discussing issues which likely have nothing whatever to do with the emulator. I tested Fujidude's Ultimate ROM (as noted above) in the current test build of Altirra and PCLINK seems to work without problems.

It does work for me, with a single 32MB partition, and up to six of them even. It's when a 7th is made that it breaks. Can you make 6 or 7 more on you CF and see if the real hardware also breaks the same way?

Certainly I can test this. What drive numbers should I assign to the hard disk partitions?

Edited by flashjazzcat

Humour aside; one thing you could try fujidude is directly using the flash updates from either the principle SDX site or FJC's wicked custom distros. This way they write to the correct addresses and you can then save them as a correctly formatted ROM file to then specify and use in the firmware dialogue. I always do it that way when using Altirra and deliberately avoid the 'pre-cooked' ROM's as, many dusty and distant years ago I had some compatibility issues running those 'pre-cooked' ROM's raw inside Altirra. I doubt that was causing your problem in this instance though.

Yep, I have been using FJC's custom distros mainly. Good stuff.

I have just created an additional six partitions, assigned drive numbers four through nine. So there are now HDD partitions on drives 3-9; seven in all. I rebooted the machine and reinstalled the PCLINK.SYS driver and everything still works using the ROM you posted here.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I used I through O. Hmm. I doubt that has much to do with it, but, you could try changing the drive letters assigned to the partitions. If that still works for you on the real deal, then perhaps all this hasn't been off topic after-all. :)

Edited by fujidude

I forget exactly what my best pal used to say about being off-topic - something about his nuts going soggy and caramel covered in mould. But I don't ask him about that sort of thing any more - I don't think I want to know... ;)

I will see if I can get the PCLink thing going on my real hardware this weekend. It will be interesting to compare it with Altirra as this is one area I have never tested but always wanted to try setting up.

Potential relevance aside, this has been a fascinating and well-executed exercise in problem solving from all parties. I have enjoyed reading through the posts.

Oh and just for a little "back at ya", see this post for the drive letters I used...

In what way does failing to notice that information pertinent to a question may have been posted before the question was even posed correspond with failing to spot that a question was answered three times immediately after it was asked?

I feel deja-vu coming on here... good luck. ;)

Well FJC it's like this... I've noticed a pattern where, instead of just answering a question, you will actually go to the bother of finding a previous post with the answer and then just paste in a link to it, and maybe mention that it has already been answered. It's as if to say, "you and your question(s) are annoying, why don't you go freaking read and pay attention?" I actually agree that it is annoying. Especially when asked again. The difference is I generally just re-answer the question, because while the behavior I do find mildly annoying, the person I do not. And so I don't want to try and make someone feel bad over it. Now don't worry, I'm someone who actually wants to do things the right way so I don't take it too hard. I just tell myself that I should try to be more careful.

I remember the time I asked about the term quid, you actually went to the trouble of getting a video rounded up of doing a Google search on the term! Do you really think me so lazy, dim, or unimaginative that I couldn't think of that, or thought it too much effort to try myself? For me AtariAge and internet forums aren't only about bits and bytes. It's also about socializing. I asked because I knew that you, and some others on AA are from the U.K. and I looked forward to having you tell me personally with your perspectives. Sure, I could just use Google, but I like to hear from you guys because I value what you have to say more than a search engine. But at least I've never had a search engine try to make me feel small.

As to me missing the info 3 times... you posted a link right off the bat the 1st time I re-asked. No big deal to me though. I missed that too apparently. Something was happening with the shortcut I have to take me to my new content on AA that I was not interpreting correctly, and so missed some stuff without realizing it. I did say I was sorry and recognized that it can be frustrating. I meant it. Did you look at my video and notice that I do not have the PBI version info output like the picture posted by rdea6, and your description? It's kind of hard to note the version when it isn't displayed. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 1

I will see if I can get the PCLink thing going on my real hardware this weekend. It will be interesting to compare it with Altirra as this is one area I have never tested but always wanted to try setting up.

Remarks

-------

The file server must be up and there

must exist a physical connection to

it at the time the PCLINK.SYS is

loaded. Currently the only existing

compatible file server is SIO2BSD

v.1.08 (an APE-like peripheral

emulator running on BSD and Linux via

the SIO2PC cable).

(From the PCLINK.MAN file and SDX Manual)

Unless you are running a Linux OS on your PC and have the cable and Connecting software. Pclink does not find a server..

Remarks

-------

The file server must be up and there

must exist a physical connection to

it at the time the PCLINK.SYS is

loaded. Currently the only existing

compatible file server is SIO2BSD

v.1.08 (an APE-like peripheral

emulator running on BSD and Linux via

the SIO2PC cable).

(From the PCLINK.MAN file and SDX Manual)

Unless you are running a Linux OS on your PC and have the cable and Connecting software. Pclink does not find a server..

Many thanks for that background rdea!!!

I have a running Debian server that is currently underutilized and did finally manage to cobble together an SIO2PC cable just the other weekend - so will give this a shot when I can devote some time to it.

A tip for those who like to configure for 65C816s running at high clock speeds and U1MB use... If you do this you may notice that the U1MB BIOS display is corrupted. You do not have to reduce the CPU speed to correct this issue. There is a default setting that you can change: System --> CPU Options --> Options --> Shadow ROMs in Fast RAM. By default it is enabled. Disable this and U1MB BIOS setup display will no longer get corrupted.

• Like 1

The only issue I'd imagine with all these fancy configurations under Altirra is what if these same mix of hardware didn't work on real hardware or simply were not possible to amalgamate on real hardware, that might lead to problems that stop being emulation related and simply become a minefield to debug. Its for this reason that Toni Wilen who writes the wonderful WinAUE Amiga emulator refuses to get in to threads where its not possibly to have the config in the real world.

Can't say I blame him, debugging is hard enough without having parameters that simply could not exist in a non emulated world :)

Just saying in general...I'm not saying anything already posted comes to this but that its a possibility that could happen...

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test14.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test14-src.zip

Changes:

• Added emulation of floating inputs on PIA port B (XL/XE).
  • Added option to disk drives dialog to shift disk images up/down.
  • Veronica side now supports expression evaluation and a separate set of loaded symbols.
  • Multiple U1MB emulation fixes: removed bogus PORTB dependency for register access, reset flash emulation on cold reset, flash writes to BASIC and OS windows now work (ugh).
  • Touch-specific UI fixes: fixed not being able to bring up on-screen keyboard from side panel, fixed multi-touch breakage on OSK and added hit blocking on the sides when it doesn't fill the window width, fixed not being able to copy text due to the context menu gesture dismissing the text selection.
  • Altirra BASIC updated to 1.43. Added several P/M graphics commands from OSS Basic XL: PMGRAPHICS, PMMOVE, PMCLR, PMADR(), MISSILE, and BUMP(). My estimate of 300 bytes for P/M graphics turned out to be way too low -- it took ~420 to get to this point, and I still don't have room for PMCOLOR or PMWIDTH.

atbasic.bin

atbasicx.xex

• Like 8