IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test16.zip
http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test16-src.zip

• Altirra BASIC updated to 1.45 (also attached): Adds PMCOLOR statement.
  • Fix for a couple of U1MB emulation bugs: RTC now works in either clock polarity, flash write enable is no longer reset by warm reset, Option key hold delayed until OS boots.
  • Enhanced text screen mode overhaul: now works in full-screen mode, supports margins and cursor repositioning, supports suspend/resume, supports copy/paste.
  • The Generic disk emulation modes now use the 810 drive sound instead of the XF551.
  • Limit disk step sounds with non-standard disk geometry and acceleration modes.
  • Emulation of MyIDE-II w/updated CPLD now supported.
  • Fixed some issues with false stops in the debugger while using tracepoints.

atbasic.bin

atbasicx.xex

• Like 7

Thanks Avery! I see there is PortableApps.com platform app version of VirtualDUB. Sure would love to see Altirra make that list. :) Or at least relative paths for files and folders within the config and corresponding .INI. I feel like I may have mentioned this before. but I'm not sure. If I have then sorry for repeating.

I'll try this new version out and see what pops up.

@fujidude @phaeron

Maybe a simple switch in the ini file or something could specify to use relative paths?

@phaeron

Thanks for continuing to push back the frontiers of emulation. When I started out getting into emulators years ago I could have hardly dreamed the form they would eventually take. And I could only begin to guess at all the trouble I would have gotten into having this stuff back then. Yup! Had detectives and all come out to the house to investigate the electrical stuff and hacking we were doing as bratty kids.

Edited by Keatah

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test16.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test16-src.zip

• Altirra BASIC updated to 1.45 (also attached): Adds PMCOLOR statement.

Thanks for the update!

One question.

When I press RESET button, memory is cleared and my program is deleted.

In Turbo-Basic XL, my program remains in memory.

When I press RESET button, memory is cleared and my program is deleted.

In Turbo-Basic XL, my program remains in memory.

This is normal if you are using the executable version. The operating system doesn't have a reset hook that's called before E: is reinitialized, so it stomps the BASIC interpreter on reset. I have an idea about a possible hack to fix this but haven't tried yet.

If you are using the ROM version, this isn't normal and I'd like to know what OS and DOS versions you are using.

This is normal if you are using the executable version. The operating system doesn't have a reset hook that's called before E: is reinitialized, so it stomps the BASIC interpreter on reset. I have an idea about a possible hack to fix this but haven't tried yet.

If you are using the ROM version, this isn't normal and I'd like to know what OS and DOS versions you are using.

Yes, I have that problem with Altirra Basic xex version only.

With Turbo-Basic XL I don't have that problem.

Thanks Avery! I see there is PortableApps.com platform app version of VirtualDUB. Sure would love to see Altirra make that list. :) Or at least relative paths for files and folders within the config and corresponding .INI. I feel like I may have mentioned this before. but I'm not sure. If I have then sorry for repeating.

I'll try this new version out and see what pops up.

It already is a portable app with altirra.ini in the same folder as the executable. I keep it in an Atari8 folder in Owncloud, so I have the same set up no matter what machine I'm on.

It already is a portable app with altirra.ini in the same folder as the executable. I keep it in an Atari8 folder in Owncloud, so I have the same set up no matter what machine I'm on.

But it's not a PortableApp.com app, like VirtualDub is. Let me explain my request a little. I already exclusively use .INI files with Altirra, and I run it on a flash drive. The .INI option makes it almost portable. The main reason I can think of that it isn't truly portable, is because it has absolute path references. This means that if you plug your flash drive into another computer, Altirra will only work right if you are lucky enough to have the flash drive assigned the same drive letter. Don't even come back with the... but you can force the drive letter you want. Yes you can. But it takes bit of configuring, and more importantly, it may not be reasonable to do on a system if that letter is already used for something else, you don't have admin rights on the other computer, or the like. Relative paths solve all that. PortableApps.com has a few requirements for software to be published via their repository. Relative paths is one of those requirements. I would be tickled pink if Altirra adopted relative paths, at least for the .INI files. Once that's done, there isn't a lot more to do to satisfy the portableapps.com requirements (at least I don't think so). There's just stuff like which folder the docs are in etc. Also, it would some pretty awesome icing on the cake to have it in their repository. Upgrades are simplicity itself. Also, there is the ability to set whether you want to get beta level releases of software or not. So for people like me that like the test versions, I can opt in. For those that choose not to enable beta level, they would just be offered the stable releases as they come out. Anyway, since VirtualDub is already on there, I assume Avery is already familiar with making something that would be accepted.

Actually, the only thing I've ever done to make VirtualDub "portable"... is to integrate over the INI registry code from Altirra. The distinction is a bit silly because presumably the only reason that VirtualDub might satisfy the requirements and Altirra not is that the former never saved its settings automatically.

Altirra does store its paths as relative for files under the program directory.

I would prefer that people get test versions from here and not from a third party site. When people get them externally, they tend not to see any of the notes I attach to the test release.

• Like 2

I can certainly understand the bit about wanting people to get it here where they can read more info and hopefully provide bug reports more conveniently. All my ROMS, disk images etc. are not stored under the Altirra folder. I do sometime run other software which uses some of the same files (including older test versions and the last stable version of Altirra), so to structure all of those kinds of files under one single Altirra folder causes other issues for me. If Altirra could accept paths such as "\Atari\Disks\ATR" or perhapps "..\..\..\Atari\Disks\ATR" life would be simpler.

Still, I get by. And as is it is still my favorite A8 emu by far.

Yes, I had to move Altirra out of a folder and put it in my main Atari8 folder. Since everything it accesses will be in the same folder or lower, it uses relative paths for the files, and can transport between machines/drive letters.

My setup:

owncloud
  Atari8
    Support
      ATARIXL.ROM
      ATARIBAS.ROM
    Disks
    ROMS
  Altirra64.exe
  altirra.ini

Hopefully that makes sense. :-)

Yes, it makes sense (and did before). But I not only have the latest test version of Altirra going, but also one previous test version and the last stable version as well. Sure, I could pile all the Altirra executables into one directory, but it would be some work to manage renaming them to unique names and also the various .ini files I use for each as well.

I do find that I really never use the stable version because I like the fixes and features of the newer versions. However, if I grab a new test version and something gets broken, I like to be able to fall back to the last test version that worked better. I suppose I could just keep one version out there on top and just replace it with an older one if it comes to that. Then again, I hope it makes sense why it would just be fantastic to have fully capable relative paths. :)

Edited by fujidude

I have a folder called "Altirra" in program files, and it contains the current test version (named "Altirra.exe") and the previous test version (named "Altirra_old.exe", which has usually been well tested by the time it's replaced). If I find anything got broken in the most recent test, I just delete "Altirra.exe" and rename "Altirra_old.exe" to "Altirra.exe". Seems to work remarkably well.

• Like 1

Perhaps you might have read where I mentioned that I have already thought of that. I could put a posting reference in for you if it would help. :P And also that I have 3 Altirra versions, and potentially multiple .INI files for each (since not all .INI files are compatible between revisions), managing the task of renaming the executables and the sets of .INIs might work well from a functionality aspect, but would be remarkably tedious when it needs to be done. Sometimes Avery is very fast on his development cycle, and new versions are popping out somewhat rapidly. It is during those times that fully relative paths would be a great help. The rest of the time it would still be appreciated, just for file organization purposes if nothing else. You may recall that in my use case, many of the same files are used by programs other than Altirra.

Anyway, you can poo on my suggestion all day long as unworthy, unnecessary, or what have you, but so far you have not been persuasive. The part of the equation I don't know is how much trouble it would be for Avery to make it that way, or if he may have specific reasons why he would not want it that way. So thanks for sharing how much you don't mind manually renaming files, I do appreciate it. But I'm standing by my suggestion/request. :thumbsup:

Edited by fujidude

What exactly is your problem? Don't answer that here, BTW: please shoot me a PM if you have an issue.

Says the person who chose to write that in here, rather than following his own advice. :twisted: PM in a bit.

Edited by fujidude