IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

We're kind of getting off topic here, but having said that, I'd like to see a better SIDE2 solution for 1200XL's so the cart port stays open. One of the OS-ROM sockets is used by the U1M, but the other one is empty. It should only take a few extra jumpers to make it work.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, Please start a new thread.

• Like 1

We're kind of getting off topic here, but having said that, I'd like to see a better SIDE2 solution for 1200XL's so the cart port stays open. One of the OS-ROM sockets is used by the U1M, but the other one is empty. It should only take a few extra jumpers to make it work.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, Please start a new thread.

You can't say fairer than that!

• Like 1

I have a potential bug here regarding the "System->Audio->Stereo" dual pokey option. When enabled I only get left channel audio, nothing on the right. My experience with Lotharek's "SimpleStereo" is when enabled, even if separate L&R channels are not being generated it will still output balanced mono on both.

That may be SimpleStereo's behavior, but it's not the general behavior for stereo POKEY modifications, which only guarantee one POKEY per channel and don't provide a way or detection of whether a program is actually producing stereo.

• Like 1

That may be SimpleStereo's behavior, but it's not the general behavior for stereo POKEY modifications, which only guarantee one POKEY per channel and don't provide a way or detection of whether a program is actually producing stereo.

Okay. I cannot argue with that - I guess the menu entry isn't labelled 'SimpleStereo' so I cannot expect compliant behaviour. Even if it were there seem to be so many different versions it is hard to pin down anyway,

Many thanks as ever for the new version by the way.

I wonder if there might be the possibility of emulating the SIO2SD device?

On the face of it this would be largely pointless given that "Altirra" natively offers all the functionality such a device would bring to the simulation. However, I have been wondering about starting an ASM project to write a new client for the SIO2SD. Having the device present in emulation would certainly take a huge amount of frustration from the process - the cross assembling on the PC and then physical transporting the *.XEX to a real piece of hardware to test. I doubt I am the only one who might be interesting in coding for it and I would argue SIO2SD is the most significant standalone floppy-replacement for the A8 so I think there would be genuine and lasting good for the community.

Obviously this might be a real tyrant of a task to bring about and totally overshadow any utility it would bring. However, if it is something that could be rattled out fairly rapidly - if only to a degree where a simulation would aid future software development and not 100% emulation - then I wonder if it might be considered?

Does the existing SIO2SD emulation not provide a sufficiently rich command set? I realize it's said to be "mimimal", but I haven't tried it yet.

Woah! There it is - you know I had never noticed the entry there inside the 'Devices' dialogue!!! I'd say there's definitely enough to start playing with the new commands and also testing out alternate configurations with the existing tools. Excellent!

Also - given there is a 'currently' in the description text then maybe this is an area Phaeron will look at again to increase compatibility.

When was this added? It must have been post 2.60 surely? I couldn't have been that blind for that long!!!

I have an obscure Altirra question ...

For background, I'm trying to emulate what will be my main hardware setup in a week or two: a 1200XL with Lotharek's Ultimate 1MB installed in it, and using it (occasionally or not) with one of his SIDE2 devices.

I've got everything setup and working in Altirra but I have run across an oddity. In Altirra I have firmware set to "1200XL" (I've got an actual Rev 11 .ROM file) and hardware type set to 1200XL. I've got Memory Configuration set to Ultimate1MB, currently flashed to FJC's latest beta version, though that shouldn't matter. So far so good.

In Altirra, running SDX 4.47 from the U1MB with this configuration, if I type either CAR or BASIC, I got a "Not present!" warning. That makes sense in a real machine without a U1MB installed. However, the U1MB provides BASIC (four different configurable slots even). Shouldn't SDX running in Altirra recognize the BASIC rom image there in the U1MB? By contrast, Altirra DOES recognize and implement U1MB's selection of OS - for instance if I use Q-MEG or the Diagnostic slot, Altirra boots them properly, effectively ignoring the "Firmware" selection in the Altirra menus. Why then does it honor the "1200XL" hardware selection with regard to in-built BASIC? Shouldn't the U1MB installation (virtual installation I mean, you get it) override that?

What am I missing?

I have an obscure Altirra question ...

For background, I'm trying to emulate what will be my main hardware setup in a week or two: a 1200XL with Lotharek's Ultimate 1MB installed in it, and using it (occasionally or not) with one of his SIDE2 devices.

I've got everything setup and working in Altirra but I have run across an oddity. In Altirra I have firmware set to "1200XL" (I've got an actual Rev 11 .ROM file) and hardware type set to 1200XL. I've got Memory Configuration set to Ultimate1MB, currently flashed to FJC's latest beta version, though that shouldn't matter. So far so good.

In Altirra, running SDX 4.47 from the U1MB with this configuration, if I type either CAR or BASIC, I got a "Not present!" warning. That makes sense in a real machine without a U1MB installed. However, the U1MB provides BASIC (four different configurable slots even). Shouldn't SDX running in Altirra recognize the BASIC rom image there in the U1MB? By contrast, Altirra DOES recognize and implement U1MB's selection of OS - for instance if I use Q-MEG or the Diagnostic slot, Altirra boots them properly, effectively ignoring the "Firmware" selection in the Altirra menus. Why then does it honor the "1200XL" hardware selection with regard to in-built BASIC? Shouldn't the U1MB installation (virtual installation I mean, you get it) override that?

What am I missing?

I get the same behaviour. Moreover, if on that same 1200XL - as set at the emulator level - you go in to the "Ultimate1MB" BIOS and select a different non-1200XL OS you still get the same inability to drop to BASIC. This contrasts with the situation where for example if you set an 800XL through "Altirra", but load a XEGM OS from the "Ultimate1MB" you get the correct XEGM-style behaviour on COLD+'Select' - it launches the currently selected GAME slot.

I think it must be that the 1200XL OS doesn't have the facility to drop to BASIC as it was not designed to support an internal BASIC ROM, even if there is a copy within grasp as it were through the "Ultimate1MB". I guess its a very odd combination of hardwares... I wonder what would happen on the real machine?

I get the same behaviour. Moreover, if on that same 1200XL - as set at the emulator level - you go in to the "Ultimate1MB" BIOS and select a different non-1200XL OS you still get the same inability to drop to BASIC. This contrasts with the situation where for example if you set an 800XL through "Altirra", but load a XEGM OS from the "Ultimate1MB" BIOS OS slot you get the correct XEGM-style Game behaviour on COLD+'Select'.

I guess its a very odd combination of hardwares... I wonder what would happen on the real machine? I suspect it would drop properly to BASIC.

I know there's several folks on AA - FJC himself among them! - with U1MB installed in 1200XL's. It seems to me that this combo effectively makes the "1200XL" into a generic XL/XE type machine, for all intents and purposes, complete with in-built BASIC or whatever else you've put into the U1MB rom. At least that's what I'm hoping.

The reason this (sorta) matters to me is due to some kind of weirdness with how SDX handles ram disks, or perhaps I just don't know enough about SDX yet, which is quite probable. Let me explain:

In SDX, if I run JAC!'s updated .xex version of Action! from the command line and then drop back into DOS for some reason, I can't seem to launch Action! again and keep a mem.save type file, so I lose all my editor contents.

HOWEVER, if I first drop into BASIC, then launch SDX with the DOS command, I can launch Action! in this way: "D1:ACTION.XEX BASIC.SAV" I can then work in Action! for awhile, go back to SDX if I need to, and then launch Action! again the same way ("D1:ACTION.XEX BASIC.SAV") and my Action! session will pick up just where I left off. Dropping into BASIC (or whatever else is flashed to a U1MB BASIC slot) will cause SDX to create the "BASIC.SAV" file on the ramdisk and use it, even with an executable file like an .xex.

Edited by DrVenkman

I know there's several folks on AA - FJC himself among them! - with U1MB installed in 1200XL's. It seems to me that this combo effectively makes the "1200XL" into a generic XL/XE type machine, for all intents and purposes, complete with in-built BASIC or whatever else you've put into the U1MB rom. At least that's what I'm hoping.

The reason this (sorta) matters to me is due to some kind of weirdness with how SDX handles ram disks, or perhaps I just don't know enough about SDX yet, which is quite probable. Let me explain:

In SDX, if I run JAC!'s updated .xex version of Action! from the command line and then drop back into DOS for some reason, I can't seem to launch Action! again and keep a mem.save type file, so I lose all my editor contents.

HOWEVER, if I first drop into BASIC, then launch SDX with the DOS command, I can launch Action! in this way: "D1:ACTION.XEX BASIC.SAV" I can then work in Action! for awhile, go back to SDX if I need to, and then launch Action! again the same way ("D1:ACTION.XEX BASIC.SAV") and my Action! session will pick up just where I left off. Dropping into BASIC (or whatever else is flashed to a U1MB BASIC slot) will cause SDX to create the "BASIC.SAV" file on the ramdisk and use it, even with an executable file like an .xex.

The 1200XL is certainly a gorgeous machine. I thought about picking one up at the start of the summer rather than attempting to rejuvinate my debatable lineup of 800XL's - but the prices on ebay are insane and I could not begin to justify it. Even now I see there is one for about £230 - and that is before you pay for the "VBXE" and "Ultimate1MB".

In regards the RAM drive behaviour with "Action!", have you tried changing the default letter from 'O' to 'H'? I have been told that some programmes only recognize 'H' RAM drives and I wonder if 'Action!' is one of these?

What am I missing?

Since PORTB bit 1 (BASIC) is unused in the 1200XL, perhaps the emulator circumvents Ultimate's PORTB interception when in 1200XL mode. Turning SDX off and clearing bit 1 doesn't map anything in at $A000.

To emulate the 1200XL/Ultimate hardware setup (with jumpers properly aligned), you might as well just set the machine type to 600/800XL (that's what I do), since what you effectively have is an XL with built-in BASIC.

Regarding SDX and MEM.SAV/BASIC.SAV: this might be a RTFM moment for me, but I wasn't aware of any kind of MEM.SAV facility which works with XEX files. I understood that saved memory states were only created and reinstated when entering and leaving internal BASIC or an external cart.

Regarding SDX and MEM.SAV/BASIC.SAV: this might be a RTFM moment for me, but I wasn't aware of any kind of MEM.SAV facility which works with XEX files. I understood that saved memory states were only created and reinstated when entering and leaving internal BASIC or an external cart.

I didn't find that in the manual, I figured it out by trial and error. This is with the latest test release of Altirra and JAC's Action! 3.7 .xex version. It only works if SDX has first created the BASIC.SAV file by dropping into BASIC before launching the .xex, returning to SDX with the DOS command, and then launching the file with BASIC.SAV appended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I honestly don't know. I tried using other methods but my end goal is/was to replicate the behaviors of a physical cart when you call DOS and then drop back into the cart environment. Having the contents of memory saved and reloaded is supremely useful. I expect it works for JAC's Action! file version because Action! effectively still "thinks" it's a cartridge and SDX is treating as one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DrVenkman

I tried something similar and Action! crashed after jumping into empty space in page 4. The XEX Action! binary does not appear to reside in the cart area either, which is just as well since loading the executable without the "X" command leaves the SDX library sitting in ROM at $A000-$BFFF. I have absolutely no idea what BASIC.SAV as a parameter after ACTION.XEX is achieving here. :o

What format are the files for the "yr" and ".loadsym" commands? I am not using an assembler to generate anything, and wish to generate the files by other means. Also, just for grins, I tried the .sdx_loadsyms command, but it reported that it loaded 0 symbols. Strange, since I am was running SDX 4.47 under Altirra 2.70t19. I must be missing something with that too?

By the way, I already tried a text file formatted like:

sname1 $ABCD

sname2 $DCBA

And so on. Didn't work.

I have been trying to use the 'flash.com' programme in tandem with 'The!Cart' studio to write a simulated 32mB 'The!Cart' image. Unfortunately I have not yet got it to work.

I set the system up as a 130XE with 128k of memory, VBXE and no other mods. I then 'Attach Special Cartridge' to create a 32mB 'The!Cart'. The final stage of the setup is to attach the 'thecart.atr' as downloaded from 'The!Cart' website to 'D1:'. On bootup this will load the resident copy of 'MyDOS'. To execute the programme I shell up to DOS and then use 'L - Load Image' to start 'flash.com'. After loading, 'flash.com' will go directly to a screen reporting 'No or unknown flash'. No variation of "The!Cart" image type or DOS will change this outcome and I have tried it under both the native "MyDOS", "SDX" and "DOS2.5".

Update:

Removing the "VBXE" simulation seems to remove the problem as well... Is this an issue with "Altrra" or the behaviour of 'flash.com' and "VBXE" in real life?

Label on memory setting will be fixed in next version. P.S., if you regularly use that high of a resolution, try increasing the UI scale factor in Options. The settings flyout looks better that way. The default is as it is to ensure that everything fits at lower resolutions, although it does scale with monitor DPI.

yr uses a custom format, whereas .loadsym will accept any symbol format the debugger does (XASM labels, MADS labels/listings, CC65 labels, and Altirra custom labels). MADS listings are only for source lookup, while the rest are for address-symbol lookup.

Can't seem to reproduce the cart flashing issue:

post-16457-0-90622800-1437726809_thumb.png

However, you say:

On bootup this will load the resident copy of 'MyDOS'.  To execute the programme I shell up to DOS

Red flag -- you should be getting automatically dropped into the MyDOS DUP menu on boot. Even if BASIC is left enabled, The!Cart should overlay it and prevent BASIC from loading. You shouldn't need to do anything to shell out to the MyDOS menu.