IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

I use the monitor "Dell UltraSharp U2412M".

screen resolution 1920х1200

Your monitor is identical to my monitor but your monitor is newer than me.

I have Dell UltraSharp U2410. It is very old but best wide gamut color (Most vivid colours) and full HD (1920x1200)! If I win the lottery, I will upgrade my monitor to Dell UltraSharp 24 inch 4K display with wide gamut color (Model:UP2414Q). When I try to paste monitor model number from my clipboard, my IE browser had to ask me for permission because Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled.

Right-hand display issue was only on 64-bit build... try now:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test29.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test29-src.zip

Also fixes a crash I hit in the debugger when accidentally doing a bogus breakpoint range (mixed read and write).

I used a Dell 2405FPW monitor for a long time -- great resolution, full set of analog inputs. Main downsides were that it didn't have HDMI and its analog video processing was not as good as TVs (noise reduction a bit too aggressive and the deinterlacer could not do motion compensation). I'm now using a U2711 -- 2560x1440.

NTSC Ataris produce narrower pixels than PAL ones, and by default Altirra will show this. Playing an NTSC game in PAL will therefore result in it displaying too wide.

Small add to the Additions disk -- a color map utility to aid in matching colors between systems. Everyone has used or written one of these, but I figured I'd go for something a little bit fancier. Standalone executable attached.

post-16457-0-75167000-1443683258_thumb.png

colormap.xex

• Like 5

I pleading old age, what do i do with the colour map, I'm thinking that unless my colour choices within altirra are right then looking at these on the colour map not have an effect or is it simply to give a visual aid as to how each system looks so you can tweak it to match?

Edited by Mclaneinc

Yeah, I think so...

ps. seeing the DX screenshots reminds me how cool it was loading from tape with it's nice loading music and of course the title screen blew me away with all the flashing colors and the short but catchy tune... with the deep base sounds... and when pressing start it blew me more away with it's fast pase raster interrupt checkboard... as demo coder only one thing annoyed me... the scrolling left/right of the background mountains with the tunnels were coarse and the "PAL" not working highres panel...

btw. never checked... but is it much faster on NTSC then???

maybe I'm doing something wrong.

if it is not a mistake, correct me.

I go to the settings:

System ---> Video ---> Adjust colors

Options that come after (below) "Gamma correction" does not apply.

as if I did not change these settings, I see no difference.

Slightly related, wish the artifacting settings were saved separately for PAL and NTSC...

If I swap to NTSC I have to manually adjust the Artifacting to NTSC high (how I like it) from PAL High, then when I swap back to pal it remains set on NTSC high.

Not an issue, just it would have been nice for Altirra to remember the setting for both formats individually..

And why do you avoid the Turbo freezer question Avery :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

wow, something Paul asks Avery. :)

I remember Avery posted earlier that the "turbo freezer 2011" is - the same as saving state.

Repeating things to do not like Avery.

I dream to see in the emulator support "Turbo 2000".

When I played in atari 198x years - 90% of the games is loaded with "Turbo 2000".

sorry for bad english.

and sorry for my whining again.
I just really want to see something new in the emulator.

Slightly related, wish the artifacting settings were saved separately for PAL and NTSC...

If I swap to NTSC I have to manually adjust the Artifacting to NTSC high (how I like it) from PAL High, then when I swap back to pal it remains set on NTSC high.

Not an issue, just it would have been nice for Altirra to remember the setting for both formats individually..

Couldn't you take advantage of the /portable mode of Altirra? Keep one copy in a folder called NTSC, for example, and another in PAL. Each copy gets its own settings.

• Like 2

Exactly, portable mode is the answer for a lot of things like that. I suppose if Altirra had a mechanism for configuration profiles, that would work too even if the registry was being used. For me though, I love the portable mode. It means it's easy to run Altirra on any computer (in addition to the multiple config ability it gives).

• Like 1

wow, something Paul asks Avery. :)

I remember Avery posted earlier that the "turbo freezer 2011" is - the same as saving state.

Repeating things to do not like Avery.

I dream to see in the emulator support "Turbo 2000".

When I played in atari 198x years - 90% of the games is loaded with "Turbo 2000".

sorry for bad english.

and sorry for my whining again.

I just really want to see something new in the emulator.

I must have missed that post but there's also a machine code monitor in the Freezer, but you are right, if he's already answered this then I should have seen it and not bothered him about it.

But stop using my post to do exactly the same as the mistake you are criticising me for :)

As for something new in the emulator, its bursting at the seams :)

Exactly, portable mode is the answer for a lot of things like that. I suppose if Altirra had a mechanism for configuration profiles, that would work too even if the registry was being used. For me though, I love the portable mode. It means it's easy to run Altirra on any computer (in addition to the multiple config ability it gives).

Couldn't you take advantage of the /portable mode of Altirra? Keep one copy in a folder called NTSC, for example, and another in PAL. Each copy gets its own settings.

fair point there people, just seems a bit messy..

Messy how? I call many different .ini files depending what machine or what color setting tweaks I want. And you don't need more than one folder or one executable.

Just tell the executable which .ini to use. Make a shortcut like so:

"K:\Altirra.exe" /portablealt: "K\:StandardNTSCColors.ini"

"K:\Altirra.exe" /portablealt: "K:\CorrectStarRaidersColors.ini"

Each .ini file gives me a machine exactly how I want it configured. Firmware, hardware peripherals, memory, color, sound, Keymaps.. All the settings are saved in an individual file. Elegant and simple. And you can make the .ini files read-only if you want to make your machine idiot and break proof. Exiting and restarting will "reset" the emulator to your previously specified configuration. Or leave them writable and they will be updated whenever you exit the emulator.

Edited by Keatah

Seems this emulator won't be deemed complete until it opens the curtains, switches the kettle on and changes the TV channel. :)

Only unimplemented extra I'd like to see is Incognito, since it's functionally very close to Ultimate but sufficiently different that I have to do all testing on real hardware.

• Like 3

Keatah, you've given me an idea, maybe it will take Avery.

Why create a bunch of *.ini files.

why not make a single save all the settings of the emulator into a single file that can be opened in the emulator at any time.

I mean the creation of a profile.

Pardon my ignorance (if any) but is there possiblity to add dumping of POKEY registers every frame just like in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242349-sap-type-r-recording-turbo-basic-tunes-to-sap/ ?

There are many BASIC and other exotic language programs with music.

(Yeah I think about ASMA new entries!) :)

So?

• Like 2

Small add to the Additions disk -- a color map utility to aid in matching colors between systems. Everyone has used or written one of these, but I figured I'd go for something a little bit fancier. Standalone executable attached.

attachicon.gifcolormap2.png

Thanks. I pulled out the 128 and made a chart for using in Photoshop etc. This is displaying the Altirra Default (NTSC XE) palette. I'll probably do one for PAL later.

post-6369-0-28238900-1443748944_thumb.png

Here's NTSC and PAL with text labels at the top.

I'd never noticed, but rows F and 1 in PAL video are identical, whereas there are subtle differences on NTSC. I'd never noticed this, most likely because I'd never seen a chart where they were lined up next to each other (Phaeron's doubled-up on row 1 at the bottom, which most charts don't do).

post-6369-0-67652400-1443750739_thumb.png post-6369-0-10162700-1443750745_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish

Pardon my ignorance (if any) but is there possiblity to add dumping of POKEY registers every frame just like in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242349-sap-type-r-recording-turbo-basic-tunes-to-sap/ ?

There are many BASIC and other exotic language programs with music.

(Yeah I think about ASMA new entries!) :)

So?

If this were to become reality, it would be an awesome tool. :)

This would make it possible to free up the cpu from doing calculations and directly pound PoKey with data, possibly stored in another bank.

Very interesting!

Edited by Kyle22