IGNORED

Just purchased a Vectrex

clinteastwood1955

Hi,

I just purchased a Vectrex and was wondering how long it usually takes for a Vectrex to turn on. What is considered normal? The reason I ask is because the Vectrex I purchased seems to take a little while to come on after it has not been used for several hours. I'm wondering if this means that capacitors are failing in the unit? Should I send the unit back to the seller for a refund?

Thanks.

I turn mine on and I can see the title banner in maybe 3 seconds.

Here's a tip, to save wear and tear on the power/volume potentiometer, keep your Vectrex plugged into a quality powerbar, and toggle the bar off/on instead.

• Like 3

I turn mine on and I can see the title banner in maybe 3 seconds.

Here's a tip, to save wear and tear on the power/volume potentiometer, keep your Vectrex plugged into a quality powerbar, and toggle the bar off/on instead.

That is a great tip!

With a power strip switch, when the strip is off, the Vectrex is disconnected from the power.

When the Vectrex is plugged in directly to the power, and the Vectrex is "off", the transformer continues to draw power.

Well indeed, to save my CRT filament from being switched on and off all the time (which decreases life span more than anything else), I simply built in a little switch, which cuts the 5 VDC of the CPU board. So whenever I change cartridge or the game on multi-cart, I only shut down the computer, but leave the "television-tube" and HV on.

post-32856-0-05757000-1427142373_thumb.jpg

-Rolo

• Like 5

Since there was some interest, I'm going to present some pictures of my "special power switch".

I just reopened my Vectrex and saw, that I did not only cut the 5 VDC, but more thoroughly ;), all three voltages, with a single three layer on/off switch, which can bought in any electronics shop. It is a very simple job, which can be done by almost anybody with some basic mechanical and electrical skills. Or maybe you can still find some radio and television technician, whom we used to have anywhere nearby - back in the day, when tv-sets were being repaired and voltages higher 3.3 volts were not considered rocket science. :mad:

Unplug Vectrex and remove the five screws that attach the back part of the housing:

post-32856-0-49332600-1427301033_thumb.jpg

There is the switch, simply mounted into a hole drilled into the front part of the housing:

post-32856-0-82953000-1427301117_thumb.jpg

The LOGIC BOARD'S voltages are supplied by this connector coming from the POWER BOARD above.

yellow: -5 VDC

green: GND

orange: +5 VDC

red: -13 VDC

post-32856-0-10235800-1427301384_thumb.jpg

I disconnected the green GND line to open up an inductive ground loop which is introducing noise and hum into the circuit and replaced it by a short, thick ground connection (the yellow one on the next picture).

post-32856-0-39499400-1427301788_thumb.jpg

As always, cables are too short. I had to attach extensions to the three voltage lines. All three are connected seperately to the three layers of the switch.

post-32856-0-88323800-1427302316_thumb.jpgpost-32856-0-89522600-1427302432_thumb.jpg

On the other side of the three switching contacts, three wires directly lead to the POWER BOARD and are soldered into the proper positions. There are labels printed right onto the board:

post-32856-0-22381500-1427302706_thumb.jpg post-32856-0-73928700-1427302913_thumb.jpg

That's all! Just close the Vectrex with the back cover and keep an eye on the BRIGHTNESS knob, which has to fit into the hole on the backside of the Vectrex - no forceful pushing required.

The only time, I'm using the regular Vectrex power switch is when I'm starting or stoping to play Vectrex. Each time I change games I only switch off the computer part and leave the television part on, prolonging it's life. I fear in the age of flat LED tv-sets, it will be going to be harder and harder to find any classic television spare parts.

Best regards

-Rolo

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The only time, I'm using the regular Vectrex power switch is when I'm starting or stoping to play Vectrex. Each time I change games I only switch off the computer part and leave the television part on, prolonging it's life. I fear in the age of flat LED tv-sets, it will be going to be harder and harder to find any classic television spare parts.

How are is it to find a replacement case? ;)