IGNORED

New game released: Tecno Ninja 25 years anniversary edition

apemaster

Well,

its too hard for a programmer to switch off Atari Basic automatically... ;-) ;-)

So I added a Basic-off switch to the Runtime that will do this. Next, I also added a stupid Gr.2 title-screen ("Tecno Ninja") and a SIO-noise-off-switch (Poke 65,0). The new runtime now has a length of 89 sectors. And the game seems to run fine now under A800 Win and Altirra (with Basic on or off), but I have only tested it to the start of the 1st level (the airport), since I am very very bad in this game... ;-)

tecnin25.zip

BASOFF.XEX

POKE65.XEX

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3

Is anyone using this with the Ultimate 1 MB? Everything I've tried causes it to load to a black screen.

I'm using APE, XLOS, no Basic, NTSC, Rambo 320K, last version posted by the author.

Edit: Let me ask a different way: Anyone using an NTSC computer and the game loads/plays properly? If so, what is your equipment setup? I just tried an almost stock 130XE (only has a 32-in-1 OS) and still loads to a black screen.

Edit2: I changed the file names to eliminate the splash screen (MAIN.CTB renamed to AUTORUN.CTB) and now it gets caught in some kind of a loop and loads forever.

-Larry

No write protect.

Left the original file as AUTORUN (no CTB). So long as no .CTB extender, it should work, but I'll change the AUTORUN (on the title screen) to something else.

Can't get it to run in Altirra, either.

Edit: Changed the title screen filename to "TITLE" but same deal -- endless loop of SIO loading.

-Larry

What are the system requirements on this?

On my Incognito 800, I have tried all XE combos, but I get this response:

"Fehler - 9 in Zeile 128 ($C400)"

I get the same error, but at a different location. It should represent a DIMensioning error. If I were to guess, I'd say that the compiler didn't like something that was OK in regular Turbo Basic. (?)

-Larry

Here's an updated version.

I noticed that the title seems to not work on NTSC, however the main game does. So use this updated version.

On NTSC, the screen gets black, but when you coldstart, it loads the main game - so only the title is missing.

On PAL it works fine on 800XL and 130XE.

Don't use write-protection, that's important.

tecnoninja25-test.atr

Tonight I found some time to play this game.

It is pretty cool! Nice music (Larry iirc it is fourth rendez vous, not Oxygene)

And it has the same beauty as the brundles (same engine?)

Glad I ordered this game. Can't wait to get the full package with the booklet.

Good work Yoda!

It is pretty cool! Nice music (Larry iirc it is fourth rendez vous, not Oxygene)

It is Fourth Rendez-Vous, I'm a huge Jarre fan. Interestingly enough I first heard Ethnicolor on one of the Atari demo disks I picked up from the Page 6 PD library.

I think I actually have this game on it's original disk. contemplating buying this set though, it's a great price and the packaging looks amazing

Hi Yoda,

On NTSC, the screen gets black, but when you coldstart, it loads the main game - so only the title is missing.

B826: AD 0B D4 LB826 LDA VCOUNT
B829: C9 9B CMP #$9B << PROBLEM
B82B: 90 F9 BCC $B826
B82D: 68 PLA
B82E: 8D 01 02 STA VDSLST+1
B831: 68 PLA
B832: 8D 00 02 STA VDSLST
B835: A9 C0 LDA #$C0
B837: 8D 0E D4 STA NMIEN
B83A: 60 RTS
Coding on VCOUNT should not be done here, as that differs between PAL & NTSC.
Best way to set the DL & DLI vector in the VBI itself. In this specific location it might be OK to simply
lda $14
wait cmp $14
beq wait
instead because the DL starts with 24 blank lines and no DLI flag until mode line #4.
So the DLI vectors and NMIEN will be setup correctly when the first DLI line appears.
Cheers, Peter/JAC!
  • Like 1

I get the same error, but at a different location. It should represent a DIMensioning error. If I were to guess, I'd say that the compiler didn't like something that was OK in regular Turbo Basic. (?)

-Larry

I just tested the first update on the 800XE which displayed the loading screen ok, but had a glitch with PM Graphics when going to the Airport.

Now with the latest update, it's working great on the 800XE and Incognito 800 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Have a small (very small) issue with the sound of the game.

When the game ATR is run from IDE+ harddisk (not tested on SIDE2 / Ultimate yet) on the start screen in level 1, one sound channel is producing a tone that shouldn't be there.

Since no SIO is used on a parallel harddisk interface I guess that's the issue; perhaps a 16bit channel is not set back to 8bit or vice versa?

Anyway, as soon as I grab a key which produces a sound, this problem is gone. But... when I die, and start again, the issue is back. So it is weird (perhaps it is caused by something else... a $00 in stead of a #$00 perhaps somewhere?)....

So it is not really a huge issue, but perhaps you could take a look at it when you have time.