IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

Future purchase right there and then some.

Loved my VCS years, a very, very special time in my (gaming) life and whilst i've never had the urge to return to the VCS to play, i love reading and discovering more on the subject.

Since cancelling magazine subscriptions left, right and center, i've started moving towards publications like this at a steady pace and so far have not been dissapointed.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this and thanks to all involved for making it happen.

• Like 2

Save,

Yeah I decided to do 4 volumes to make sure each game was covered properly. I know it has the potential to hurt the commercial viability of the project, as a single volume would be much more accessible, but I want this project to be unlike any others out there. Of course I might regret that decision when I have to load up books into my car and go to conventions ;-)

• Like 3

Jeremia,

For games like Hunt & Score/Game of Concentration where there are identical games but with multiple titles I will do the review on one of them and have box art/cart scans of the alternate titles.

On a side note that's cool you are in Slaton, TX. I have driven through there numerous times and always figure I will retire there an run for mayor since the town shares my last name. My campaign slogan will me "vote for me so we can get a story on CNN"

• Like 1

Jeremia,

For games like Hunt & Score/Game of Concentration where there are identical games but with multiple titles I will do the review on one of them and have box art/cart scans of the alternate titles.

On a side note that's cool you are in Slaton, TX. I have driven through there numerous times and always figure I will retire there an run for mayor since the town shares my last name. My campaign slogan will me "vote for me so we can get a story on CNN"

That would be pretty cool. I drive through Austin every now and then. Of course I have no dreams of becoming the Austin mayor.

These are the NTSC conversions I made (some have been found by now):

• Acid Drop Salu
  • Bobby Geht Heim Bit Corp
  • Dragon Defender Ariola
  • Fatal Run Atari
  • Ghostbusters II Salu
  • Hell Driver ITT Family Games
  • Ikari Warriors Atari
  • Laser Base ITT Family Games
  • Lilly Adventure Home Vision
  • Missile Control Video Gems
  • Mission Survive Video Gems
  • My Golf HES
  • Obelix Atari
  • Parachute Home Vision
  • Pharaoh's Curse Technovision
  • Pick n Pile Salu
  • Polaris Tigervision
  • RealSports Basketball Atari
  • Sesam, Offne Dich Bit Corp
  • Star Wars: Ewok Adventure Parker Brothers
  • Steeple Chase Video Gems
  • Surfer's Paradise Video Gems
  • Treasure Below Video Gems
  • Wing War Imagic
  • Like 2

These are the NTSC conversions I made (some have been found by now):

• Polaris Tigervision

Polaris is also a U.S. release - I have two copies of it.

This project looks amazing. The homebrew edition (not even including hacks) is going to be massive by itself. There are well over 100 published titles, and more on the way.

• Like 1

This project looks amazing. The homebrew edition (not even including hacks) is going to be massive by itself. There are well over 100 published titles, and more on the way.

At the rate people spit out games now, I can foresee VCS Homebrew Encyclopedia Volume #10.

And counting... :)

• Like 3

Thanks Phil, delighted you have great faith in the book, I'm now approaching the final quarter on this volume, been crazy, but the VCS games never looked so good :)

I hope that not only will people cherish the volumes, but will call upon them for that tricky title if spotted in the wild or will have it handy at gaming conventions , let the book do all the remembering for you :)

Cheers.

• Like 2

I'm after this 'baby' not just to embrace the 'warm fuzzy memories' of my childhood (i loved not only the VCS games themselves, but the box art, the magazine adverts etc...ahhh, just thinking about it takes me back), but also to discover the games i completely missed out on at a commercial level, let alone the amazing Homebrew stuff.

I moved on from the 2600 to the 800XL, so the books should hopefully fill in a lot of empty spaces in my head.

No pressure though guys :-)

Wow, this looks great. I am definitely in! I may have missed this, but what is the approximate release date for Volume 1? Is "soon" meaning in the next few weeks (I hope :))

I'm hoping that if everything goes smoothly with the printers that it will be available for purchase sometime in early May.

• Like 4

OK this was funny and just wanted to share. So I'm editing the gameplay video footage for the iBooks version and the Dice Puzzle footage I captured was messed up (syncing issues), so I had to go back and redo it. So I boot the game up and start making a few moves, not really looking at the board since it's only going to be a minute long to give readers a basic idea of the gameplay (which is incredibly simple). So I make 4-5 random moves then look at the board and realize I have a clear path to victory, something I have yet to do with that game. Long story short, instead of there being some random moves in the gameplay footage, there will instead be footage of me solving it in 40 seconds. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

• Like 7

Just wanted to give a little up date and status on the book, so I've now arrived at 380+ page mark which means I'm hoping to have it Finished for Derek this weekend!!!, with the massive amount of content I received from Derek was simply overwhelming and pushed me outside the normal barriers I would go for on such a project, but I think what Derek has done here is nothing short of a miracle here regarding the information and content I'm sure can't wait to get into the hands of the Atari 2600 fans new and old.

So with that Derek has decided to not to complicate things or confuse people regarding the title of the book, as it's mainly known as the Atari 2600 rather than the Atari VCS like here in europe and he has changed the title of the book to "The Atari 2600 Encyclopedia : Volume One", so here is a small poster preview of what it will finally look like enjoy! :)

oi92mf.jpg

• Like 6

Hyperboy took the very 'words' right out of my mouth.

I've just started on Bill Loguidice/Matt Barton book:Vintage Game Consoles and have been utterly delighted by it, i cannot wait to add this to my next Amazon order and get stuck in.

I was never sure how the move away from mainstream gamesmagazines to dedicated publications like these books was going to go, but so far? clearly a wise move on my part.

• Like 2