IGNORED

Dungeon Stalker - a new Atari 7800 Game

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone who attended the PRGE show! I wasn't able to attend, but for those interested there are some pics here. I'm attaching one of the pics that shows Dungeon Stalker at the AA booth. Thanks for sharing the thread with me, Marco!

post-2143-0-89463900-1445302827_thumb.png

• Like 5

RevEng and I both reviewed the source code again and many comments were added or tweaked. It's definitely the most well documented code I've ever written! Included in the zip file are some extras as well.

The zip file includes:

• The final version of the source code, as well as the a78, bin, and asm files.
  • A gfx folder that contains all of the sprites used for compiling the game, as well as the tmx file used by the tiled application for creating the dungeon maze.
  • The final version of the instruction manual that I created, which is not the same as the manual that's being released with the game in the AA store. The released instruction manual was designed by David Exton.
  • Two additional graphic images that detail the color choices made in the code as well as the spawn locations for all the objects.
  • Images of Dungeon Stalker while Al was prepping for PRGE, as well as some images taken during the show.

[Edit: I updated the file on 10/22/15 with a newer version of the instruction manual, the version in the zip didn't include David Exton in the credits]

Dungeon_Stalker_Final.zip

• Like 11

Fantastic job Steve!

Night Stalker is one of my favorite Intellivision games, and you've created a great take on it. Nice nod to Wizard of Wor and Ms. Night Stalker as well!

I was wondering where everyone from the 2600 basic forum went...

Thanks Byte Knight! I'm a great admirer of your work. :) Make no mistake, this game wouldn't have happened without RevEng. He tackled the most difficult parts of the code, especially the enemy movement and AI. Trebor too, who is the most meticulous gameplay tester I've ever had the pleasure of working with. :)

I also was a big fan of Dark Cavern and Night Stalker as a kid, as well as Wizard of Wor. I was thinking of Wizard of Wor and Ms. Night Stalker as well during development. It was Mike's idea to add the wizard and it worked out perfectly I think. It's funny that both Night Stalker and Wizard of Wor included an invisible enemy, which I purposely left out of Dungeon Stalker as it's the one design decision that I always disagreed with for both of those games. It was much more frustrating than fun for me. The idea of being able to blast through walls was discussed, but axed. Believe it or not this game really does push the limits of the hardware despite the fact that it seems fairly simplistic, it's possible for 24 sprites to be on-screen at one time (they can only be 8 pixels tall with the zone height I used, so what looks like one sprite could be more).

I haven't abandoned batariBasic (I made Diamond Drop for the 2600 this year too), but I have to admit that it's been more fun to develop on 7800basic. Check it out, I'd love to see what you could do!

Thanks Byte Knight! I'm a great admirer of your work. :) Make no mistake, this game wouldn't have happened without RevEng. He tackled the most difficult parts of the code, especially the enemy movement and AI. Trebor too, who is the most meticulous gameplay tester I've ever had the pleasure of working with. :)

Thanks, I couldn't have done any of my games without RevEng either! His knowledge of programming is so extensive that I've often wondered if he's a cybernetic organism...

I'm having a blast playing your game, although I appreciate the Intellivision controller more now after not having the ability to move in one direction and shoot in another.

Programming for the 7800 looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm a Mac guy and it doesn't look like there is any easy way to create sprites / backgrounds (without taking advantage of Pac-Man-Red).

Thanks, I couldn't have done any of my games without RevEng either! His knowledge of programming is so extensive that I've often wondered if he's a cybernetic organism...

I'm having a blast playing your game, although I appreciate the Intellivision controller more now after not having the ability to move in one direction and shoot in another.

Programming for the 7800 looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm a Mac guy and it doesn't look like there is any easy way to create sprites / backgrounds (without taking advantage of Pac-Man-Red).

Yeah, RevEng is a genius. 'Nuff said. :)

I know I mentioned it in the thread you started in the Intellivision forum, but I didn't even think about adding the ability to use a 2nd joystick to fire in a different direction during development. It wouldn't be a quick and easy change by any stretch, but it's something I maybe can look at in the future for an alternate version. No promises though, I'd rather start on something new when the spirit moves me again.

Making sprites for 7800basic has a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you've figured out the basics it's not too bad. I use the freeware image editing program GIMP, which I was completely unfamiliar with prior to writing my first demo game for 7800basic and it's become pretty easy for me now. There is a native version for OSX that doesn't require X11, so that's an option for you. I wrote a quick tutorial for getting started with GIMP as well that you can look at here. I'd love to see what you could do with 7800basic! :)

Edit: Tiled, another essential app for 7800basic in my opinion, also has a native OSX version. I also posted a tutorial for getting started with that app.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my boxed copy of the game from Al. Wow, it looks great! Many thanks to David Exton for his amazing work on the artwork and the instruction manual. He really exceeded my expectations. :) Al will take much better pics than these for the store, but I thought I'd share a few photos that I took.

post-2143-0-57741500-1447378296_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-52454600-1447378297_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-50672600-1447378298_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-60549800-1447378299_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-55031100-1447378300_thumb.jpg

post-2143-0-49912700-1447378301_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've had my copy since Monday and have played it everynight this week. Been loving it; awesome job!

Thank you! Lots of subscribers received their copy of the game before me. Non-subscribers should be able to buy a copy in the store very soon. :)

• Like 1

Check the Subscribers forums. Being a subscriber, you should be able to check this link.

Early access to games and discounts are part of the fringe benefits of being a Subscriber; besides knowing you're supporting a fantastic site. :)

Excellent would have been nice to know earlier as I never went to the subscriber section because there was never anything new there. My mistake. I did order this game and 3 others!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This looks really neat. I just wish I could figure out how to get my emulator up and running to give it a whirl. I love the box art. It's so fantastic to see people still in love with these old systems. The Atari 2600 was my first video game system way back in '79 and I haven't stopped loving those old school games even though I love a lot of new school games, too. Excellent work.

• Like 1

This looks really neat. I just wish I could figure out how to get my emulator up and running to give it a whirl. I love the box art. It's so fantastic to see people still in love with these old systems. The Atari 2600 was my first video game system way back in '79 and I haven't stopped loving those old school games even though I love a lot of new school games, too. Excellent work.

If you need help with emulation, feel free to ask questions in the 7800 forums. This site is teeming with knowledgeable people.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I always thought this and another game on the 2600 was really similar... There was one with robots that shoot at you? (edit: it's Dark Cavern. I'll probably forget again though)

I decided to try the game once first before reading the manual and the Wizard of Wor music caught my attention... What happened next was quite hilarious for me haha. That's the best part of the game for me. I thought these two games were somewhat similar too...

Edited by Tangentg