IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Super Podcast

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Willie and ArKay, New homebrew 5200 Zaxxon game https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1055

Now play the 32K version of Zaxxon from the Atari home computer line on your 5200! This 32K cart has the following improvements over the original 5200 16K cartridge release, providing improved gameplay and increased challenge!

• Functional missile silos fire at you from below!
  • Pilot your fighter in both horizontal and vertical directions in the space battle. Plane size scales with altitude. Original 16K cart had only horizontal movement.
  • Improved Zaxxon robot graphics and animation. Missile will track player when fired. Player must make six direct hits on the missile to destroy the robot. 16K version only requires hit to any place on robot's body.
  • Splash screen graphic at startup.
Edited by Protestari
  • Like 1

Hey Willie and ArKay, New homebrew 5200 Zaxxon game https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1055

Now play the 32K version of Zaxxon from the Atari home computer line on your 5200! This 32K cart has the following improvements over the original 5200 16K cartridge release, providing improved gameplay and increased challenge!

• Functional missile silos fire at you from below!
  • Pilot your fighter in both horizontal and vertical directions in the space battle. Plane size scales with altitude. Original 16K cart had only horizontal movement.
  • Improved Zaxxon robot graphics and animation. Missile will track player when fired. Player must make six direct hits on the missile to destroy the robot. 16K version only requires hit to any place on robot's body.
  • Splash screen graphic at startup.

It looks pretty awesome! Thanks for letting us know about it! I cant wait until you cover Star Raiders II on the Xegs podcast :) love that game, I still have my boxed copy I purchased new!

It looks pretty awesome! Thanks for letting us know about it! I cant wait until you cover Star Raiders II on the Xegs podcast :) love that game, I still have my boxed copy I purchased new!

Hi Willie, when you get a chance give us some feedback on Episode 0. We would love to hear your professional opinion :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245832-the-atari-xegs-cart-by-cart-podcast/

Edited by Protestari
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Bradbury short story Arkay brought up is titled "There Will Come Soft Rains". I read it in a schoolbook-type short story collection called "Something Strange" (Macmillan gateway English) I think one of my older brothers took from school years back. There WERE humans in the story, or rather their silhouettes, on the outside wall of the house, imprinted there which suggested a nuclear flash or explosion. IIRC a dog comes into the entryway but eventually dies.

Had lots of weird & creepy short stories from several scifi & other authors. One was called "Zero Hour", where the neighborhood kids rise up against the adults (unknown to one mom until it's too late) & another where a kid is pretending the black, red & yellow carpet in his house is dangerous to cross- red is lava, & black is snakes, & he can only step on the yellow.

It's a really good book, I should track it down again.

Edited by RJ

So doing some searching it's available on Amazon used for around $12 & up. Theres a PDF online but it makes you take a survey & wants your personal info.

& Bradbury wrote the "Zero Hour" story too. I think Roald Dahl wrote the one about the kid & the carpet.

The Bradbury short story Arkay brought up is titled "There Will Come Soft Rains". I read it in a schoolbook-type short story collection called "Something Strange" (Macmillan gateway English) I think one of my older brothers took from school years back. There WERE humans in the story, or rather their silhouettes, on the outside wall of the house, imprinted there which suggested a nuclear flash or explosion. IIRC a dog comes into the entryway but eventually dies.

The Fallout series of games has numerous examples of this. Many service robots continue their duty even though everyone around them is long gone.

• 1 month later...