IGNORED

Solaris 2600 Map with Full Instructions and Solution

Statichamster

Solaris for the 2600 is my favourite game on the system. I've been playing it since it first came out but was only able to finish it a couple years ago with help from people on this site. Back then we didn't have the internet, and I was hoping to find a decent map so that I didn't have to start drawing it from scratch. The best I found was an infograph created by John Russel Ernest (I've included it below), and although it's good, I was sorely disappointed.

So I decided that if a decent map of the Solaris universe didn't exist, I would have to build it myself. So I did. I re-wrote the awful instructions, included my map and the solution I used to finish the game. Created a topic and gave everyone that guide.

Years later I'm back. Why? Because the map wasn't finished. No one had ever mapped the wormholes or figured out how many keys are on each of the Corridor Planets or how many Cadets are on all the Zylon Planets. So I included it. Since I was already in there, there were strategies on Zylon Fleets I didn't include, or a section on Phasing, that I use through out the entire solution.

So here it is....everything you ever wanted to know about Solaris but were afraid to ask. Included below is my new guide and the map (also in the guide). I want to see others do as I have done and complete this awesome game.

Good Luck!

Solaris Solution 1.5.pdf

post-34283-0-22893000-1428308413_thumb.jpg

post-34283-0-98993700-1428308539_thumb.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

BEAUTIFUL! I love it. This is a game that I have never successfully beaten. I've been halfway, but those Cobra ships decimate me. This is a wonderful resource and will likely get me off my arse this summer and give Solaris another go!

I hope you will allow Albert to add this to the Solaris page and the database!

Thanks

:spidey:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

One last thing; I've added something that has always bothered me and it's fairly superficial but this guide wouldn't be complete without it.

The story doesn't make any sense. Why are you the last? Why do you need a find Solaris cover story? How did we lose a planet if people are on it?

So I re-wrote the blurb from the start, trying to answer all these questions. I won't be including it in the book but felt I should at least post it here. Hope you enjoy it!

---

“This is Solaris calling out anyone who’s left. Is anyone there. Any one? The Zylons have returned. They warped in and were suddenly everywhere! The Kogalons have betrayed us. We’ve started jamming all galactic navigation which will slow them down but if they find us it’s all over; Please, anyone, help us!”

Message Repeats

You were in the hangar for repairs when the attack happened and only found out when the broadcast came, lucky you. The entire Federation fleet has been destroyed, you’re the last. Whatever Solaris is doing it affects everyone. You’ve been reduced to warping between quadrants and without navigation all the planets just look the same. Solaris is effectively lost, but it will blink on your console, if you find it.

So, it’s a race and one you must win. Fortunately, your ship has hyperwarp so you can travel faster, unfortunately they have the numbers and are everywhere. Blast anything that flies in your way and protect any Federation planets you see; they have Docking Bays on them where you can repair your ship and refuel. Don’t let the Zylons destroy them or the quadrant mutates into a terrifying Red Zone.

Ready? Then hop into your StarCruiser, rev the engine, and go! You’re our only hope.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Awesome guide; thanks for putting that together! I just started playing Solaris and I think this will be very helpful.

After reading through I think I may have discovered a mistake in the Without phasing solution. On page 14 in the "Simplified Solution" box, Part 2 of the Without phasing solution lists the path as N, Wi, N, N, S, Save Solaris.

This doesn't actually lead to Solaris though. I believe the path you intended was N, Wi, N, En, S, Save Solaris. Maybe confusing the 'n' exit with the 'N' direction? Going through the 'n' exit leads to the sector above Solaris so S from there makes sense.

One other thing I wanted to point out is it seems there's a faster path with phasing. Looking at how you did Part 2, perhaps Em, Wm, N, Save Solaris would be faster? It does involve fighting the Cobras in the beginning sector of Part 2, but seems to be a shorter path. It's well beyond the point I've played, but from looking at the map it seems like it would work. Just a thought!

Thanks again for putting this together. It's a great resource and there's a lot of things in there I was unaware of from the manual (focus during warp determining fuel cost....ouch).

• Like 1

First of all, thanks for the interest. Let me know if you're able to reach Solaris :D

You are absolutely correct that this is the sequence for the second half without phasing: N, Wi, N, En, S, Save Solaris. I had caught this and corrected it in newer versions of the guide; the step by step solution that follows the map does follow this solution. As I said in my last post; the 'final' version of the guide has an update story to Solaris; I think that'll be the last addition to the guide I make....if i don't play through and finish 'The Last Starfighter' that is. If you want the v1.75 of the guide let me know.

Unfortunately I'll have to disappoint you on the shorter path and entering the quadrant from the South rather than the West. In order to phase through that Wormhole in the NW corner you need to engage a fleet first and be able to reach that Wormhole with your cursor while you're fighting to phase through it. This is not possible if you come from the south.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Fantastic work @Statichamster, thank you!! Got to know Solaris on a friend's Atari 2600 who lived in my street and it always fascinated me. Finally, I have managed to play this to the end with the help of your solution - however only with phasing. Would be very interested to get the most recent version of the solution. You mentioned a v1.75 in your post dated June 26th, 2017 but I was only able to find the v1.5. Again thank you for putting the best solution for one of the coole finest games around!

• Thanks 1