IGNORED

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Shawn

Star Trek or Star Wars?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek or Star Wars?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Since this is an Atari site, I voted based on the Atari games- Wars wins

But Star Trek SOS is GOOOOD! Jedi Arena is extremely fun, though. Empire is grossly inaccurate in that you actually blast down AT-ATs by frequently shooting a weak point, going against the holy doctrine. I was just playing Return the other day and find it extremely fun as well. I still think that the Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator is better than the Star Wars offerings on Atari (it just barely beats Star Wars Arcade, though. I really love that game). Just my opinion. I really dig how in Star Trek SOS they show the viewscreen and a 2D view of the battlefield and it plays really well.

• Like 1

I love Star Trek. The original Star Trek series is my favorite television show ever. The Menagerie is my favorite episode (or two) of television ever. And Star Trek: The Motion Picture is probably my favorite movie of all-time, with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan coming in at number two. So it was really an easy choice for me.

Now that is something you don't hear often of Star Trek: the Motion Picture being the best movie of all time.

I think the movie was quite beautiful which I consider to be a great re-introduction of Star Trek to more modern theater and more importantly to the big screen budget.

Loved it. Showed the new Enterprise (beautiful), new look for the Klingons, and a beautiful music score. New Photon Torpedo effects.

As I said, I loved it, but the favorite movie of all time? I can't say that but curious to know why it was for you.

BTW, I think my all time favorite movie is Xanadu so I can't judge, just curious.

Edited by doctorclu

The Space Hippies episode vs. Phantom Menace. Tough call. I'd still watch the Space Hippies.

Actually liked the Space Hippie ("Journey to Eden" I believe it was called) episode. Interesting musical instrument concepts is why I think I liked that one. And then you get this group of radicals or hippies that take over the Enterprise, setting course for Eden as they sing from the ship's bridge. Were they hippies or actually Gypsies or even pirates at that point? :D

And I found the ending to be ironic. Would probably be my luck when I found "paradise".

Ah, but Star Trek was a computer game a full 5 years before the first Star Wars film came out!

This is true.

"As for those pre-Metacritic titles, take a look at the release year for the very first Star Trek game: 1971. Written in BASIC shortly after the series originally aired, the first Star Trek game inspired a number of knockoffs, and became better known later in the 1970s when it was included (as Super Star Trek) in a book of BASIC programs."

Super Star Trek has been ported by many aspiring programmers to just about every computer system that has a basic. I remember there were quite a number of versions on my Atari computer user group disks (Dal-ACE).

There was a version of it with the Sol Terminal (1977) that I really like. It was the basis of Stellar Track for the 2600, as well as games like Star Raiders (2600/800/ ST) that came later, Star Master (2600), Phaser Patrol (2600), which would lead to later games like Battlesphere (Jaguar).

Super Star Trek and spiritual successors aside, there has been the arcade based Star Trek SOS game (loved that game) which thanks to SEGA has been ported to many game systems and computers. I used to really love a version of Star Trek by Scott Adams called "Star Trek 3.5" (Someone made a Star Trek II game? Nice!)

I think the most titles I remember seeing were on the Atari ST computer. By then you not only had a ship fighting klingons but full missions and stories. (Rebel Universe, The Next Generation, the Klingon War, etc.)

Not Atari related but I used to enjoy Rescue!! on the earlier Macs. In these notes on the Rescue!! Fan page they mention that the game was based on Space War. Ironically, Space War predated Star Trek by five years!

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

If you watched every episode of star trek and all the movies, you'd have spent over 21 days of your life watching Star Trek. And that's only if you watched each episode ONCE.

I'm not sure Star Wars fans have that level of commitment.

On a related note, I've watched the new Force Awakens trailer 8,765,361 times since last Thursday.

• Like 1

If you watched every episode of star trek and all the movies, you'd have spent over 21 days of your life watching Star Trek. And that's only if you watched each episode ONCE.

I'm not sure Star Wars fans have that level of commitment.

I am sure you are wrong.

I am sure you are wrong.

(argument about derivatives aside)

Right, because we (they) continue to watch the same shit over and over and over again. :lol:

Seriously, used to be a "thing" back then to brag about how many time you saw Star Wars. Most of my friends were up around the 18-30x frequency. :rolling:

• Like 1

(argument about derivatives aside)

Right, because we (they) continue to watch the same shit over and over and over again. :lol:

Seriously, used to be a "thing" back then to brag about how many time you saw Star Wars. Most of my friends were up around the 18-30x frequency. :rolling:

Like when FXX did their Every Simpsons Ever marathon it took like over two weeks to complete. Star Wars (both trilogies) runs about 12 hours, so in two weeks, you could watch them back to back 28 times! :rolling:

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

For me personally… Star Wars bypasses Star Trek at light-speed … with some thousand lightyears… even though I had to eraze Episode 8 from my memory …

… uh… what was it had erazed…?

I feel

so confused… if only Master Skywalker was here to put things rigth… oh dear oh dear…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars for me

I don't like a lot of science fiction.   Too much of it falls into one of two traps-  some future civilization that lives in all white rooms, wear identical tight-fitting clothing and have solved all their problems and go on and on about how technologically and morally superior they are",  and if it's not that then it's completely dark and gritty- the opposite end of the spectrum

Star Wars is a little of both and a lot of neither.   A lot of people have noted that SW is really a fantasy world wrapped in a sci-fi setting, and I agree with that.   George Lucas was great at world-building and working with Ralph McQuarrie created some iconic and stunning visuals.     This is something that Disney SW has not done well-  their locations tend to be bland and not so memorable.

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I like how this thread was brought back with a necro post and the forum software marked it "5 years later ...." and the conversation continues as if nothing happened. 

When travelling near the speed of light, 10 seconds may pass for you but 5 years pass for the people of Earth.   I feel that's relevant here somehow :P

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing is, I don't really like Star Wars that much, but I've seen all the movies, most of the new shows, read a bunch of books n' comics, and played several games.

I've only seen the first 2 Star Trek Movies, the 2 Abrams Movies, and I loved all except the first one.  But even though I loved them, I haven't watched the other movies, haven't watched any shows, read no books or comics, and played no games.  Guess I need to check out more Star Trek and less Star Wars.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2015 at 4:29 PM, Serguei2 said:

Star wars has no tv series so I go with Star Trek.

Times have changed, you might have to reconsider your vote. 😝

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...