IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Hi Everyone!

I recently acquired a TG 16 and wanted to have our own little area to discuss the console, its variants, and games that exist or are coming out shortly. For those who are new to the system, he are some basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbografx-16/tubrografix-16-tg16-101-beginners-guide

Here is a link to some game reviews, etc.

http://videogamecritic.com/t16.htm

Here is a link to the everdrive available for TG 16, though I have been told Version 2 is coming out this year, so that might be worth waiting for.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/turbo-everdrive-turbografx-16-pcengine/

http://shop.krikzz.com/Turbo-EverDrive-TBED.htm

Can't wait to hear from some people about their Turbografx experiences, favorite games, and memories. And also about upcoming projects and news.

Speaking of which, anyone know if any homebrews are currently available for the TG 16?

post-38373-0-11547100-1428942871_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-74325000-1428942871_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-40496600-1428942872_thumb.png

• Like 5

I got a TG-16 when the price dropped on the system during its era, and I loved to play it. The turbo controllers were a huge draw for me for some reason, and I really enjoyed the games I had. Fantasy Zone, Parasol Stars, Vigilante, Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, Tail Spin, Pac-Land, and the first two Bonks. I could never afford or justify gettting a Duo or a CD sysem, and I never found "bargain bin" games so I was pretty much stuck with teh games I had. The games have never turned up or been affordable, so since then I've only gotten a few more. Blazing Lasers would've blown my mind, but I am glad to have it now and enjoy it more than the other games I've gotten since I had the game as a child. Second most surprising, that I wish I had as a kid, is TV-Sports hockey. Pre-dating EA's Genesis hockey games I was blown away by how playable and fun this hockey game is. If you're a hockey fan who enjoyed the 90's hockey games, and want a cheap game for your Turbo, do not pass up TV-Sports Hockey! I also have gotten (and since beaten) Ninja Spirit. I am not sure I would have liked it as a kid, but I really enjoyed it a few weekends ago. Lastly I've picked up Legendary Axe. A very fun and addicting game, but punishing and difficult. Overall I have to say this is a niche system for a few types of games and gamers, but that being said there is a lot of fun to be had with the system. Welcome to the club, enjoy your stay!

In regards to homebrow, this is a stickied post on a TG-16/PCE forum I frequent,

From another forum,

Find PC Engine Homebrew on Facebook.

RELEASED
ATLANTEAN : Aetherbyte : Action/Shooting
CRASH : Mindrec : Action (ROM but included on IMPLODE disc)
HUMPBALL : Mindrec : Action (ROM but included on IMPLODE disc)
HuZERO : Chris Covell : Driving (Free download)
HYPERNOVA BLAST : Mindrec : Shooting
IMPLODE : Mindrec : Puzzle (pressed CD)
INSANITY : Aetherbyte : Action (pressed CD)
ISLAND ADVENTURE : Cabbage: RPG (ROM)
LOOP : Mindrec : Puzzle (ROM but LOOP2 included on METEOR BLASTER DX disc)
METEOR BLASTER/DX : Mindrec : Action (ROM - DX is CDR)
MYSTERIOUS SONG : Frozen Utopia : RPG (pressed CD)
PROTOCADE : Aetherbyte : Action/Compilation (AbCARD)
PYRAMID PLUNDER : Aetherbyte : Action (pressed CD)
REFLECTRON : Aetherbyte : Action (Free download)
REVIVAL CHASE : BFG : Action (comes bundled with Revival magazine) (pressed CD)
TONGUEMAN'S LOGIC : Chris Covell : Puzzle (ROM)
ULTIMATE RALLY CLUB : Orion : Driving (ISO)

UNDER DEVELOPMENT
APOTHECARY : Aetherbyte : Arcade Adventure
BILLY BOY : Touko : Action/Platformer
BUBBLE BOBBLE : Aladar : Arcade
CHUCK NO RICE KARATE : Touko : Action/Fighting
DOWNLAND : Chris Covell : Action
DRAGON ARM : Frozen Utopia : Brawler
EINZELGÄNGER : Eponasoft : Shooting
JUNGLE BROS : Frozen Utopia : Action/Platformer
LUCRETIA : Eponasoft : Shooting
MONOLITH : Eponasoft : Action RPG
XYMATI : Mindrec/Eponasoft : Shooting

• Like 3

Neutopia is an OK game. It was considered Zelda rip-off but if you ignore that and play it like a basic RPG game, it can be fun.

I've had TG-16 since I got it for Christmas gift, and I also got Turbo CD system from Toys R Us for around $50 on clearance sale. (I see the CIB CD system can fetch over $400) Been thinking of selling the setup and buying a Duo instead, smaller and more for playing rather than for collecting.

I also got Everdrive and it's a boon for game player who just wants to play and not shell out over $50 for a single semi-common game or over $100 for kissass adapter just to play import games.

FYI The upcoming TED 2.0 features increased memory which will let it play Populous (card version, not the later CD version). It still will not run Arcade Duo/Pro or Tennokoe (needs a lot more RAM). TED 2.0 is mostly for people who may want to test or play future homebrewn game with extra RAM. The component location changed as well, TED 2.0 should fit SuperGrafx better. If you have Populous game and don't care for homebrewn game, an used TED 1.x could probably be bought cheap in a few months when people buys 2.0 and sells their 1.x.

• Like 2

I've owned quite a few variations in the Turbo Grafx/PC Engine line over the years: Turbo Grafx 16, Turbo DUO, PC Engine DUO-R, Super Grafx, and the PC Engine Super CD-ROM² attachment. I currently have a Core Grafx II that I use with a Turbo Everdrive.

I think it's a fun system to have if you are a fan of 8/16-bit platforms. It is very focused on the shooters, arcade and action games in general though, so I feel it makes a better supporting system in a gaming collection than someone's primary console. I say this because it doesn't have nearly as many memorable (to me, anyway) adventure, role playing and puzzle games as the other two mainstream consoles did (Genesis/Mega Drive and Super Nintendo/Famicom), at least for English-speaking audiences. Also, while its shooters are good, I still feel the best it has to offer doesn't manage to match the best that was found on the Genesis. That's just me though.

My favorite games on the platform as a whole are Twin Cobra (PCE, aka Kyukyoku Tiger), R-Type Complete (PCE Super CD), Dracula X: Rhondo of Blood (PCE Super CD), Gradius II: Gofer (PCE Super CD), and Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Super Grafx). Legendary Axe II is becoming a go-to game as well the more I play it, even though it seems to have nothing to do with the first one.

• Like 2

Neutopia is an OK game. It was considered Zelda rip-off but if you ignore that and play it like a basic RPG game, it can be fun.

I also got Everdrive and it's a boon for game player who just wants to play and not shell out over $50 for a single semi-common game or over $100 for kissass adapter just to play import games.

FYI The upcoming TED 2.0 features increased memory which will let it play Populous (card version, not the later CD version). It still will not run Arcade Duo/Pro or Tennokoe (needs a lot more RAM). TED 2.0 is mostly for people who may want to test or play future homebrewn game with extra RAM. The component location changed as well, TED 2.0 should fit SuperGrafx better. If you have Populous game and don't care for homebrewn game, an used TED 1.x could probably be bought cheap in a few months when people buys 2.0 and sells their 1.x.

I'm very excited to play Neutopia. With no battery feature on a HuCard, I'm assuming it uses a password system? I know the mega everdrive offers a save feature, it would be cool if they could figure that out for a future iteration of the TED.

I have to say, game prices are crazy for the TG16, and I already have a few silly expensive consoles that I collect for (Jaguar, Saturn) so I think i'm going to get a TED and just enjoy playing some games and seeing what I like for now. So the V2 TED only adds capabilities for one game (Populous)? I can see getting one for the home-brew capabilities, but only if ROMS are made available (happy to pay for them of course.)

I'm very excited to play Neutopia. With no battery feature on a HuCard, I'm assuming it uses a password system? I know the mega everdrive offers a save feature, it would be cool if they could figure that out for a future iteration of the TED.

I have to say, game prices are crazy for the TG16, and I already have a few silly expensive consoles that I collect for (Jaguar, Saturn) so I think i'm going to get a TED and just enjoy playing some games and seeing what I like for now. So the V2 TED only adds capabilities for one game (Populous)? I can see getting one for the home-brew capabilities, but only if ROMS are made available (happy to pay for them of course.)

1: Neutopia can do both password and battery save if you have an optional addon: Turbobooster Plus or Turbo CD system, both that can set you back more than $100. PC Engine has a cheaper option, Tennokoe 2 for as low as $20 and could fit TurboGrafx 16 if you modify the connector's shape. The pins are all the same. Without save option, you can only use password save. Password is a nice one as you could get the last password, save it in your system, and not have to re-enter to get to the end.

I believe Duo has built in save system.

2: yes that is all I know, Populous and the game is available cheap if you have modded USA system or a Japanese system. I'm going to keep my 1.0 I got on first day it was available.

Anyone know if the Everdrive works in the TurboExpress?

Those things are pricey... I saw a guy with a TurboExpress that had and LCD screen mod. It also enlarged the screen to fit more of the "viewing frame" around it. I'll text him to ask him who does the mod. Modern LCDs are the way to go!

Now the hunt begins: finding ROMs (no intro set would be best), sorting them, removing O's, B's, and other duplicate ROMs. Then separating J and U and separating them by letters like #, A, B, C (or group them like A-E, F-H, I-M)

I am super ocd about organization. I spent several hours doing this with my colecovision roms so looking forward to another round with the tg16.

Now I'm hunting for a turbo express as well. They more affordable ones on eBay all seem to have sound issues. I'm wondering if a good re-capping would solve that. I also found the guy who does the 3.5 LCD mod and av out. He seems busy but the mods look awesome!

Edited by travistouchdown

I am super ocd about organization. I spent several hours doing this with my colecovision roms so looking forward to another round with the tg16.

Now I'm hunting for a turbo express as well. They more affordable ones on eBay all seem to have sound issues. I'm wondering if a good re-capping would solve that. I also found the guy who does the 3.5 LCD mod and av out. He seems busy but the mods look awesome!

Yes, the sound issue is bad caps. If you get one that has not had the caps replaced, you should just do them all.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I have the U.S. versions untouched in the box.

2 .Turbografx-16 (unopened)

1. TurboExpress (unopened)

1. TurboDuo (unopened)

Wish I had the CD unit unopened!

The TG16 units I purchased them from Toys R' Us for $10 in a closeout section that were found in the stores basement in 1997 in the Bronx, NY!

The TEx was purchase at a mom and pop store in 1999 for $40 in Getty Square section of Yonkers, NY

The TDuo was my big score when I purchased it from a local store in the Bronx for $100 in 2002! It still has the registration sticker attached to it!

Despite that I like the systems, I never really was into playing them and they were just for collecting purposes! So that's why all of the consoles are still in their boxes. Glad I never did!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 3

All TE and its Japanese counterpart PC Engine GT will require recap even if it seems working. A lot of them suffered from shit cap syndrome, like Game Gear, and will fail if it hasn't failed yet.

<--- still looking for a cheap TE or GT to play on the road. Need to find about $100 first :D

Pissed off that AA deleted my post, twice. :mad: Stupid New 3DS Browser. Switching to mobile view... :roll:

Well the base model TG-16 never suffered from cap issues. Why is it only mid-90s consoles not made by Nintendo suffer from bad caps?

I purchased my TG-16 on eBay for $100 with Bonk's and Kieth Courage. Started browsing for games, got sticker shocked, and immediately bought the Turbo Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer. And forget $400 CD add-ons. This is almost Neo-Geo level of ludicrus...

Still I got some good games...

Bonk 1

Bonk 2

Alien Crush

Devil Crush

Time Warp

Bomberman (Just Bomberman, not the 93 version)

Pacland

Parasol Stars

And one bad game:

Kieth Courage :P

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I have the U.S. versions untouched in the box.

2 .Turbografx-16 (unopened)

1. TurboExpress (unopened)

1. TurboDuo (unopened)

Wish I had the CD unit unopened!

The TG16 units I purchased them from Toys R' Us for $10 in a closeout section that were found in the stores basement in 1997 in the Bronx, NY!

The TEx was purchase at a mom and pop store in 1999 for $40 in Getty Square section of Yonkers, NY

The TDuo was my big score when I purchased it from a local store in the Bronx for $100 in 2002! It still has the registration sticker attached to it!

Despite that I like the systems, I never really was into playing them and they were just for collecting purposes! So that's why all of the consoles are still in their boxes. Glad I never did!

Anthony...

Anthony, thanks for stopping in! Your neo Geo thread was obviously my inspiration for this thread and I've learned a lot about the neo Geo from it. I thought it was time the tg 16 got the same treatment, and maybe I could learn a thing or two in the process.

Do you have open versions of these systems that you play, or is all of you tg16 stuff collector grade and nib?

• Like 1

Anthony, thanks for stopping in! Your neo Geo thread was obviously my inspiration for this thread and I've learned a lot about the neo Geo from it. I thought it was time the tg 16 got the same treatment, and maybe I could learn a thing or two in the process.

Do you have open versions of these systems that you play, or is all of you tg16 stuff collector grade and nib?

Hi Travis,

Glad my Neo-Geo thread inspired you to make the TG-16 thread. Drop by and post anything related to the Neo-Geo if you like in the future! :)

Unfortunately, I don't have any open playable consoles from NEC at this point. I just have those U.S. versions that are for collecting and for trophy piece showing at this point.

Amazingly enough, I have these unused than I have my Neo-Geo units :lolblue:. However, I might acquire some more in the 2nd hand market just to play. The possibility to go on Ebay to buy the Japanese versions as well since my connections are telling me to invest in them.

Right now I have my hands full with Neo-Geo. I'm trying to purchase some major titles for the AES, waiting to pre-order Kraut Buster AES, and Razoolas version of Crossed Swords 2. I haven't been concentrating on other systems right now. But hopefully later on in the future I will! :)

Hope this helps and thanks for the reply! Drop by and post on "The Official NEO-GEO Thread" anytime. Its welcome to all! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Okay is Keith courage actually bad or is it just a bland/generic platformed? I have heard a little of both. It doesn't look too bad from screenshots I've seen..

Honestly since I got it for free, I haven't even tried playing it yet. Just basing on what I've heard online... Derp! :P

Bonk's is awesome though. :D

• Like 1

Okay is Keith courage actually bad or is it just a bland/generic platformed? I have heard a little of both. It doesn't look too bad from screenshots I've seen..

It falls into the "bland" category. Technically it's not a bad game, but it's just boring to play. I've never been able to force myself to slog through it, honestly. I think I always make it to stage three or four before making myself quit. There's nothing there that makes me want to keep going.

It falls into the "bland" category. Technically it's not a bad game, but it's just boring to play. I've never been able to force myself to slog through it, honestly. I think I always make it to stage three or four before making myself quit. There's nothing there that makes me want to keep going.

There's also a cheat built in the game that you could skip to the end zone with maxed everything and then it becomes easy to finish the game.

Graphic wise it's decent. Gameplay wise, it's easy to see why this was a free game, they would have had a hard time selling it otherwise.

Graphic wise it's decent. Gameplay wise, it's easy to see why this was a free game, they would have had a hard time selling it otherwise.

Yeah, I agree. In my opinion, they would have been better off leaving this one overseas and packing something better in with the console bundle.

Yeah, I agree. In my opinion, they would have been better off leaving this one overseas and packing something better in with the console bundle.

Mario sells consoles. Sonic sells consoles. Hell, even Halo sells consoles. Keith does not sell consoles... :ponder:

Bonk came too late to save the TG-16. Regardless, the system has some awesome SHMUPs and Arcade ports... :grin:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1