IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

My copy of Dinoforce arrived today. I played it a little bit, and seems like a perfectly competent, if somewhat confusing, shooter.  I probably will not make an effort to beat it anytime soon, but maybe if I run through all the other shooters on the TurboGrafx-16 I will try to beat it.

• Like 3

I get the feeling TurboGrafx CD was when staff lists for games really started getting big. The first original game for it Noriko from 1988 has 56 people total, in contrast to when games were worked on by around 10 people at that point otherwise.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/55268/noriko/credits/turbografx-cd/?autoplatform=true

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 9:49 PM, jeremiahjt said:

My copy of Dinoforce arrived today. I played it a little bit, and seems like a perfectly competent, if somewhat confusing, shooter.  I probably will not make an effort to beat it anytime soon, but maybe if I run through all the other shooters on the TurboGrafx-16 I will try to beat it.

Got mine too....what an odd way to switch weapons.  Holding II to hit I to cycle through....seems odd. Gonna have to drag the manual out and make sure I understand what I am doing.

Overall packaging etc....top notch. I really don't love Tobias and his whole deal but for an unreleased game....very nice. I hope they can find more lost stuff to bring out.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I was in the mood to see some classic Professional Wrestling tonight and I happen to click on the Oct 6, 1990 edition of NWA World Championship Wrestling. In the video, the show was sponsored by the TurboGrafx-16. What luck and it felt like discovering a needle in a haystack.  I was shocked to see it. 

You can skip to 1:30 and after Flyin Brian Pillman's match on 40:47. Enjoy. :)

Anthony...

Edited by Charlie Cat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

I was in the mood to see some classic Professional Wrestling tonight and I happen to click on the Oct 6, 1990 edition of NWA World Championship Wrestling. In the video, the show was sponsored by the TurboGrafx-16. What luck and it felt like discovering a needle in a haystack.  I was shocked to see it. 

You can skip to 1:30 and after Flyin Brian Pillman's match on 40:47. Enjoy. :)

Anthony...

Brings back some memories man!! I haven’t watched wrestling in years but in the early nineties I was all about it. My favourite tag team was flyin Brian Pillman and stunning Steve Austin “The Hollywood Blondes”

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, Madwindoman said:

Brings back some memories man!! I haven’t watched wrestling in years but in the early nineties I was all about it. My favourite tag team was flyin Brian Pillman and stunning Steve Austin “The Hollywood Blondes”

Awesome that it brings back memories Madwin. I use to really enjoy WCW back in the early 1990's. Some here bro. I really liked The Hollywood Blondes. I personally thought that "Stunning" Steve Austin was a better gimmick than "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. 

There's a Pro-Wrestling sub-forum here in AtariAge that I requested to have on AtariAge. I'll provide a link for you to see it bro. :)

https://forums.atariage.com/forum/102-pro-wrestling/

Anthony..

On 3/23/2023 at 11:58 PM, SlidellMan said:

Man, I miss WCW, and here's a fun fact: Sgt. T-Ben Boudreaux used to work for the National Wrestling Association.

Same here Slidell. I use to enjoy watching WCW Main Event, World Wide, and Saturday Night.

I also liked Monday Nitro & Thunder, but the weekend programs were my favorite. :)

Anthony...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PC Engine Duo that I purchased a couple years ago from @oakcitycomics that I've been enjoying a lot. The seller even performed region and RGB mods. I had been using the standard composite hookups until I recently purchased all of the requisite cables to connect to my TV here in the US using RGB: SCART cable specifically for the Duo (via OGHUGO on eBay),  Retrotink RGB2COMP (transcoder that converts the RGB signal to component) and HD Retrovision component cables. I'm able to get a pretty decent picture but it's VERY dark and appears to have some faint vertical jailbars, too. It's not a TV issue, as it's like this on two different CRTs that I tried. Meanwhile, the video output is nice and bright and jailbar-free when using composite. 

I had read somewhere that resistors or capacitors within the SCART cable could cause a dark image, but I know that the SCART cable that's part of my setup is entirely passive with no resistors or capacitors. 

Here are comparison pictures between the RGB image and composite image. No difference when plugged directly into the TV vs. a component switchbox. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

A29FE8BE-BF93-4A61-A906-31CE8B425758.jpeg

7A615CB4-2DF8-4554-AA2F-FBCDDE789652.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow just like the RF shenanigans (or if wired in, RCA cables too) of the jailbars the NES toploader model would get.  I remember the Duo doing this ever so slightly on a modern TV when I had a Japanese one a few years back.  It's almost like it was getting an RF shielding error, some interference like the top loader would get on its RF cable.

I never could quite clear it up, and the core grafx2 I also had didn't do it, so it was something unique to the PCE Duo i had.

• Like 1

Weird. I don't bother with RGB with my system as I am satisfied with composite (I have a very nice Duo RX and I'm not modding it). But to me it seems like it has something to do with the RGB mod. You could try increasing the brightness on the TV but that probably wouldn't do anything for the jailbars. As for the jailbars on the toploader NES it is why I sold mine. I installed a BLW in my toaster NES and very much enjoy the better picture and brighter sound the OG NES offers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback @Tanooki and @DragonGrafx-16! Someone in a TG16 Facebook group informed me that they experienced the exact same issue I did and they were ultimately able to point the blame at the SCART cable. They have the same RGB mod board that I have, too. So I'm hopeful that that's the fix for me, too. I have a better quality SCART cable on order which will arrive in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

No problem, shielding causes the jail bar interference on the top loader and on the duo too.  The previous top loader to what I have now had it faintly as it was fixed up some with the mod it had for RCA etc, a previous one had no mod and it was obvious like a vertial pinstriped suit and sucked.  The way I fixed that given the year, I ran the system through a VCR to a TV which filtered out the BS for a clean signal.  You need some well and heavily shielded fix here to minimize or remove it.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:39 PM, sixersfan105 said:

I have a PC Engine Duo that I purchased a couple years ago from @oakcitycomics that I've been enjoying a lot. The seller even performed region and RGB mods. I had been using the standard composite hookups until I recently purchased all of the requisite cables to connect to my TV here in the US using RGB: SCART cable specifically for the Duo (via OGHUGO on eBay),  Retrotink RGB2COMP (transcoder that converts the RGB signal to component) and HD Retrovision component cables. I'm able to get a pretty decent picture but it's VERY dark and appears to have some faint vertical jailbars, too. It's not a TV issue, as it's like this on two different CRTs that I tried. Meanwhile, the video output is nice and bright and jailbar-free when using composite. 

I had read somewhere that resistors or capacitors within the SCART cable could cause a dark image, but I know that the SCART cable that's part of my setup is entirely passive with no resistors or capacitors. 

Here are comparison pictures between the RGB image and composite image. No difference when plugged directly into the TV vs. a component switchbox. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

A29FE8BE-BF93-4A61-A906-31CE8B425758.jpeg

7A615CB4-2DF8-4554-AA2F-FBCDDE789652.jpeg

I have a PC Engine DUO-R with SCART/RGB mod and I've had good luck using a RETROTINK-2X SCART.  It turns SCART to HDMI.  If you're using a modern TV,  it might be something to consider.

https://stoneagegamer.com/retrotink-2x-scart-480p-upscaler-for-rgb-scart-digital-video.html

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I have a PC Engine DUO-R with SCART/RGB mod and I've had good luck using a RETROTINK-2X SCART.  It turns SCART to HDMI.  If you're using a modern TV,  it might be something to consider.

https://stoneagegamer.com/retrotink-2x-scart-480p-upscaler-for-rgb-scart-digital-video.html

Yeah, I'm using a CRT, so component is my best option. Thanks for the input, though. 

• Like 1

These days with the Analogue Consoles and the MiSTer, etc.. they all got the HDMI/hi-def output covered. So if I'm playing an original console 16-bit and below, I just stick to CRT and composite. Looks good to me and if it was fine enough back then (and was such an improvement over RF :lol:), it's fine enough now.  

Once you get to the N64/Saturn/PSX and up though, I do like the Retrotink 5x. I do also like to plug the MiSTer to a CRT via component, and that looks great as well. 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The aesthetic of that console design is so weird to me. It looks like an explosive device! 😅 They hit a home run with the original PC Engine, and I think the Japanese culture's appreciation for cuteness had to have factored into its success in that regard. The SuperGrafx is such a departure from that... it seems to follow none of the original's design cues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The SuperGrafx was just...unnecessary. The PCE was doing great and didn't need a "next gen" console just yet imo. Japanese consumers agreed! Speaking of aesthetics, I love the look of the PC Engine Shuttle. How many video game consoles look like a space ship?! 

AD4C8691-C69C-44D1-B243-E79300C5211E.jpeg

• Like 1