IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

@roots.genoa

Honestly, I would not even recommend it to people that like combat-heavy 8-bit console RPGs (I'm a fan).

The graphics and music are poor, the story is dull, the characters (other than Nyan) are boring, and there's no variety whatsoever in the combat.  It's really a slog, even though you technically don't have to do any unnecessary grinding to get through the game.  There's really nothing to recommend it, even compared with older console RPGs such as Mother, Final Fantasy I-II, Phantasy Star I-II, and Dragon Quest I-III.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

Likely not, but who knows as #2 did make it to the US (as I said, I had it.)  I don't remember disliking #2 and I do remember finishing it, but nothing about the content of the game anymore 25 years+ later.  I guess one would have to read up somewhere if someone compared to two for improvements to see if #2 is still fun or aged terribly to weight buying the package deal if it even happened in english.

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend Cosmic Fantasy 2 unless you're a Working Designs fan.

CF3 is a big improvement overall and is unique in that there is no overworld map. Everything is just connected, like the Dungeon Exlplorer games.

I like the style of the CF4 games, but only made it part way through them before I lost my save files. One of them had to much fetch questing for me for the language barrier.

I'd prefer if they hadn't included the digicomic sections and instead used the budget for additional cutscenes.

One or both feature some neat "Mode 7" effects.

• Like 3

Cosmic Fantasy 2

I decided to give this a shot last night, in an attempt to get the bad taste of CF1 out of my mouth, so to speak.  I figured there must be something to this series to have kept it going for several sequels.

On the one hand, it's definitely more interesting and better looking/sounding than CF1.  There's more variety in how the scenario progresses, and the semi-animated cutscenes are surprisingly frequent, and also surprisingly good.  Not bad for a CD-ROM2 game!

On the other hand, it is mechanically even more broken and simplified than CF1.  Every enemy, including bosses, so far is just a bag of HPs that attacks you every round.  Enemies in CF1 couldn't cast spells, but did have special attacks that cause status ailments.  CF2 doesn't even have that!  Also, any character can equip any piece of equipment, so you might as well get your wizards in full plate mail wielding two-handed swords, or whatever.

Outside of that, it's definitely an improvement over the first game so far.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

Cosmic Fantasy 2

I've become quite addicted to this game.  I actually look forward to playing it, which is in stark contrast with Cosmic Fantasy and Tengai Makyo ZIRIA, which I often dreaded playing.

The combat in this game is just awful, to the point where the game feels broken.  Enemies do hardly any damage at all and have no special attacks.  It just feels like a massive waste of time, because the only way you could lose would be to fall asleep with your head resting on the "confirm" button.  It's also lame that every character can use all equipment, since it makes everyone seem very samey.  You just roll into town, buy everyone the best equipment you can afford, and then you're invincible.

On the other hand, everything else is a massive improvement over the first game.  The characters and story are interesting, the dialog is a lot better, and the overall "flow" is superior.  It's fun to see what weird situation you'll get into next.  There's also a cool twist to the game 10 hours in or so.  I also must mention the impressive cutscenes; they're drawn and (sometimes) animated extremely well, complete with mostly accurate lip synching and not much loading.  It's quite impressive for the humble CD-ROM2 hardware.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Working Designs games are effectively not licensable because Victor Ireland personally owns all of the voice recording rights. They would have to rerecord everything.

What do you mean? What about the recent compilation, then? https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/cosmic-fantasy-collection-launches-december-15-in-japan

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

What do you mean? What about the recent compilation, then? https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/cosmic-fantasy-collection-launches-december-15-in-japan

They either paid him a buttload of money or they redid the voice acting. I guess we’ll find out. That’s why there are no WD games with voice on any of the minis. Sega wouldn’t cough up the bucks for his desecrations of Lunar.

• Thanks 1

But that's Japan, doesn't he just own the ENGLISH?  Maybe it just won't get localized (or he got paid enough to satisfy his asinine trolling needs.)  He's one of those sorts you hope ends up with 'natural causes' sooner or later as the family may be smarter enough to realize when money is being dangled in front of you for little to no effort, you take it.

I get it says it's planned in the story, but it's a question mark at this rate.

I am glad to see that CF2 is being realized to have some good quality points to it, even if the gameplay is generic for a JRPG.  The story, turns, twists, characters, etc are good enough to keep you engaged I do remember that enough, just not HOW.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

All working designs dubbed games should be redubbed anyway.  Working designs dubs are horrible plus all the childish fart jokes are annoying.  The dated American pop culture is also annoying since games are meant to be in a fantasy setting, so why on earth would the characters be referencing American or any pop culture in the first place. 

• Like 5

Cosmic Fantasy 2

It feels like I'm nearing the end of this one.  The game has an interesting structure where you are introduced to the two main characters separately, and then they finally join up with some other characters later on.  It's like a very scaled-down version of Dragon Quest IV, I guess.

It's a really easy game so far, and 99.9% of battles can be won easily by having each character just attack every round.  No thought required at all.  There were some "harder" bosses throughout, but they're only more difficult in comparison to the rest of the game; you still attack every round, but have to heal every once in a while.

It's not a game you'd want to play for interesting combat or exploration (it's ridiculously linear), but the characters are cool, and the semi-animated voiced cutscenes are a lot of fun.  I'm impressed so far with the surprisingly accurate lip synching.  There's also a fun twist after the first two "chapters" where you get to meet some old friends from the first Cosmic Fantasy.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

Cosmic Fantasy 2

image.thumb.jpeg.c164dec5175c44b3423f1404b00be37e.jpeg

Finished!  A significant improvement over the first Cosmic Fantasy, but still just a mediocre RPG with overly simple yet frequent combat.  Fun characters and story, though.

I posted my detailed impressions in the "Games Beaten In 2023" topic:

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 7:13 PM, newtmonkey said:

Cosmic Fantasy 2

image.thumb.jpeg.c164dec5175c44b3423f1404b00be37e.jpeg

Finished!  A significant improvement over the first Cosmic Fantasy, but still just a mediocre RPG with overly simple yet frequent combat.  Fun characters and story, though.

I posted my detailed impressions in the "Games Beaten In 2023" topic:

You plan to keep playing through the series? I'm curious how good the 3rd game is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually discovered the series thanks to the soccer game on Game Boy (even though I actually played Renegade on Amstrad CPC before that, but the connection is looser), like many people in Europe I think. It was incredibly fun and probably the only soccer game I really liked for a long time. I was so used to it I didn't understand why I would get a yellow card when I hit players in other soccer games. 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 3