IGNORED

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

I picked up this title at release because.... Because it had the Final Fantasy XV demo code in it. XD

I played that demo almost immediately and really liked what it showed off of the game. Definitely needs some polish... but that's not what I'm talking about here.

Final Fantasy Type-0 is an HD upgrade from a PSP title only released in Japan.
I only got to play an hour or so of the game, but my impression so far? I'm not sure what to think.

There is a lot of story here, but I've really just barely scratched the surface. There's four crystals (big surprise), a war between nations, an Empire, and a lot more.

The opening sequence and cutscene last quite some time, so it's definitely not a game you can just jump into without some time. (I guess that's a given for any RPG?)

Once past the big opening, I finally get to try out this game and it's... gameplay? I don't really know how to describe it.
It makes me think of an action RPG with doing real-time fights and attacks. This would be pretty cool if the main character here had some kind of real weapon.
Unfortunately, he's armed with cards. You can throw the cards for a range attack, but you can also "cut" the cards to charge up some sort of super or special attack. I'm still learning the ropes.

I had to finally stop at one point because I ran out of time to play and my interest was kind of dwindling. I need to give it more time before I make a final decision, but it's possible I come to love it.

Only other note here? The HD upgrade is very visible here. The look and design really makes me think of a PSP title. It's not really something I'd expect as a "PS4" title as far as visuals go.

Normally, I wouldn't judge by that angle, but the game is a full cost title ($60), so I would hope for something that looks a bit... better. I'll post again when I get more time to really wet my nose.

Anybody else pick the game up? If nothing else... Did you get it for the Final Fantasy XV demo? XD

I have! I wrote a review of the demo on my blog thing.

Read that here.

If you want the short version, the demo was actually pretty fun, but it's still got a few shortcomings.
There were a few small issues with it, but it is a demo after all. It doesn't give much insight into the characters or story yet, so it's mostly just showing off the gameplay.

The gameplay was actually pretty cool though. A very interesting new style that places itself somewhere inbetween Final Fantasy XII and XIII. It's closer to an actual Action RPG with Hack & Slash elements than anything though.

Think the only real problem I had was a lack of a REAL lock-on system in-game. You lock onto enemies, but the camera doesn't follow them so you're constantly moving the camera to try and keep up.

If nothing else though, I assume most of you guys have seen the Ramuh summon? Epic Summons!

I will be looking forward to when the actual game comes out. Just hope that it will be sooner rather than later...

I have! I wrote a review of the demo on my blog thing.

Read that here.

If you want the short version, the demo was actually pretty fun, but it's still got a few shortcomings.

There were a few small issues with it, but it is a demo after all. It doesn't give much insight into the characters or story yet, so it's mostly just showing off the gameplay.

The gameplay was actually pretty cool though. A very interesting new style that places itself somewhere inbetween Final Fantasy XII and XIII. It's closer to an actual Action RPG with Hack & Slash elements than anything though.

Think the only real problem I had was a lack of a REAL lock-on system in-game. You lock onto enemies, but the camera doesn't follow them so you're constantly moving the camera to try and keep up.

If nothing else though, I assume most of you guys have seen the Ramuh summon? Epic Summons!

I will be looking forward to when the actual game comes out. Just hope that it will be sooner rather than later...

Nice! I read your blog entry and it sounds pretty sweet. I like the exploration bit a whole lot and I'm very intrigued by the combat system. I have a slight backlog growing on my PS4 but I'm tempted to get Type-0 to try this out. I'm actually looking forward to it now, I must admit when I first saw the trailer and saw the Saturday Night Fever entourage it really seemed unappealing. Hopefully they get a good story behind this and not some convoluted absurdness. I just wasn't a big fan of the last few games especially Lightning Returns.

The lock on worries me a bit, it can ruin the combat. Any kind of camera issues during combat can be a big problem but it sounds interesting. Hopefully this game brings back this series for me.

Oh and big thumbs up on the epic summon!

On my way to become Agito in FF Type-0 (2nd playthrough). I've finished the original game on the psp in Japanese and was totally hooked on the battle system.. finished it now on the PS4 and finally understand the story a lot better.

Just a few words on how to play it:

- Level all your characters uniformly. You'll need every one of them, yes even Deuce with her flute (actually a handy weapon for SPP farming).

- Dodge a LOT rather than focus on protective magic

- Keep your focus on an enemy most of the time with R1

- Play the NG+ after finishing the first time.. I think half of the game cannot be accessed on the first time.

- Get the Airship in Chapter 7 if you can. You want it for the 2nd playthrough

I heard people complaining about the game feeling emtpy on exploration or the story being too convoluted, and I agree to some degree. However, when it was launched on the PSP it was the most advanced game on the system, and it has so much potential to grow.. I hope to see more from this IP in the future. Especially after seeing this video

The FF15 demo is beautiful.. I really hope they manage to release it in 2016. I read somewhere that Hajime Tabata said that the game is finished roughly around 60%... since the game was announced in 2006 I won't be surprised if its gonna take a few more years if this is true..

Well Type-0 seems ok, I played up to the save point. The combat system is interesting a lock on type system and yeah I agree the card throwing is kind of weird.

I agree about the FF demo it looks promising but its got a lot of "problems". Combat is a complete mess without a lock on and there's no option to invert the Y axis which hopefully you can do in the full version. As it is right now its very frustrating. Those who jump into combat Skyrim or action game style (which you are tempted to do) will run out of MP really quick and sit around while your buddies fight.

Speaking of buddies....still seems FF has no identity...at the start there's a pimpin car with GQ/EMO guys sleeping in a tent and then a huge Skyrim landscape with Final Fantasy monsters to fight and then a 1950's resort chocobo camp with Sim-Life people milling about. Bewildering. I haven't found the dunegon\cave yet but here's a few more things I was a little disappointed in:

- You can't cross streams or any small puddles of water and those don't show up on the world map

- The world map is not all that great, it needs to be accessed too much as no waypoint markers show up while you play. I found myself looking at the map quite a bit to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

- You lose your side quests if you rest. WTF?

I played for a few hours, like I mentioned it does look like it could be really good but I don't know....if combat stays the way it is, its surely in trouble at least for me. It's probably the biggest issue I have with the game.

I really hope Square Enix pulls off something truly masterful and memorable with Final Fantasy XV... Because if XV fails, we could truly be seeing the FINAL Final Fantasy title.
That being said, I don't really see how it could fail other than not being a great game. Why? Because people will most likely buy it up in the vein that "Huzzah! Final Fantasy returns to us!"
Then we all get stabbed in the back with "not good game or story" betrayal.

The demo was only meant to be a small taste of the game though, and on top of that, they sent out emails to people who did try the demo to fill out a survey. I gave my honest opinion and basically stated what I said in my blog post about the combat. I like where it is going, but there's a lot of fixing needs done.

I figure they'll find a way for you to go through the water or go over it at least. I did feel that exploration was super slow while walking on foot and there's not really any way to split it up.
And are you sure about the marker? I swore there was some method of placing markers for quests. Unless you just meant in general... in which case, you're probably right.
Didn't know about the Side Quests thing either. Maybe they have randomly generated "daily" quests and that's what all the Side Quests are.

The biggest thing I wish I had recorded though happened upon my first journey out. It was growing dark, and I was heading for the nearest campsite to try and save.

Along the way though, I got attacked by a squadron of solders/robots/robot soldiers, and I was getting my ass handed to me. We could barely scratch their armor, and when I finally took some down, more appeared! I don't remember all the exact conditions, but it was late at night and a ship came over my head to drop them.

Messed up trying to save the video for it though, so I completely lost all that happened. It was easily the most epic event that happened to me outside of the almost terrifying exploration of the caves with all the goblins. (That killed me on my first entry inside. >_<)

I follow you, I have the same feelings but just hoping this one breaks out and becomes something good. I certainly hope so. Is that survey link still around? I'd like to fill it out too.

The water boundries were annoying only because it forced me to walk more than I wanted to. The markers I'm not sure but when I look at the overland and set a waypoint and switch back to the game, no matter how much I turn the camera I don't see anything that I can walk towards. Maybe I'm doing something wrong I'll jump back in and fiddle some more. Yeah the sidequests were gone but it warned me of it when I went to rest at a camp....it said something like "rest for the night, are your sure? Sidequest will be abandoned" and then when I looked it was gone.

I got the same event as you, a big ship came out of the sky at night and all these soldier robots came out but I went to camp and rested and the next day they were gone. I guess I missed out on something. By the way where the heck is the goblin cave? :P You dont have to be specific...maybe like "near the chocobo camp" or northeast corner and I'll look for it.

Did you not get Ramuh? That's the cave I refer to as "Goblin Cave".
It's kinda near the Southeast to east portion of the map. From the Chocobo camp, you'll head Northeast and find a path heading off to the right from the road. Follow that up and you'll run into the cave.
It was probably one of the cooler parts of the demo, and the number of goblins got frighteningly large at times.

Here's the survey -> LINK

You'll have to register a Square Enix account to take it along with the copy of the game.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

The last things FF-related that I got any real enjoyment from were X and X2 on ps2 and Tactics on the GBA (I only recently learned there was a followup on DS that I missed, d'oh!). Apart from the upcoming X|X-2 HD for ps4 I'm just going to have to quit buying anything with FF in the title because I just end up sacking them off half way through, what I've read above has all the same warning signs.

Thanks for the link, I may fill it out as it seems they are listening.

Others tend to agree on the whole lock on combat problem(s):

http://kotaku.com/square-addresses-the-top-xv-criticisms-of-final-fantasy-1700668422

FF hasn't been the same for ages. Bravely Default has basically taken it's place for me. Still hope this turns out good though.

Thanks for the link, I may fill it out as it seems they are listening.

Others tend to agree on the whole lock on combat problem(s):

http://kotaku.com/square-addresses-the-top-xv-criticisms-of-final-fantasy-1700668422

FF hasn't been the same for ages. Bravely Default has basically taken it's place for me. Still hope this turns out good though.

I saw that link from Kotaku a bit earlier. I'm very glad that they are taking fans seriously for input. If they aren't careful, this game could very well be the final nail in the coffin for Final Fantasy.

I didn't fully play Bravely Default (one of many games in the backlog), but I did really enjoy the game. Loooove the Jobs system of games where you can build your own party~

Even beyond that, great characters, great story, fun and challenging gameplay... Basically everything the fans have wanted from the Final Fantasy series since ever.

I would like to state that FFXIII really wasn't that bad. Granted, I didn't LOVE the game, but the gameplay was okay overall. The real problem was the characters and story being pretty meh overall.

And strangely enough? XIII-2 was actually an IMPROVEMENT on XIII! What little time I put into it was actually pretty enjoyable compared to the title it spawned from.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to FF XV demo is coming in June:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/05/18/update-to-final-fantasy-xv-episode-duscae-coming-in-june/

Looks like the combat camera and other stuff will be fixed which is a good thing.

Oh my~

I will definitely give the demo another shot if this update promises what it says it does.

Thanks for the update on this.