IGNORED

Join AtariAge at the 2015 Classic Game Fest!

Albert

AtariAge will once again be attending the Classic Game Fest, taking place July 25th and 26th at the Palmer Events Center in Austin, Texas. We'll have a large booth, with tons of Atari consoles setup so you can try out the latest homebrew games, as well as popular favorites from "back in the day". Last year's show was great (and the first time the event was held in Palmer Events Center, a big upgrade in terms of space from previous years), and the show's organizers continue to evolve and improve the event for this year's show as well!

I'm particularly excited about the special guests they've lined up so far! Most relevant to Atari fans will be Howard Scott Warshaw, who programmed Yars' Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T. for the 2600. Also announced this far are Richard Garriott and Starr Long, names fans of the long-running Ultima games will recognize. And Ernest Cline, author of Ready Player One--a must read for Atari fans--will also be on hand!

Please use this forum to discuss the event, what games or hardware you'll be looking for, what you'll be bringing to sell or trade, what events and tournaments you're looking forward to, and more!

Quite a few AtariAge members stopped by the booth last year, and I look forward to seeing many of you again this year!

..Al

• Like 8

I'm thinking about attending since I got family in Austin. Is there any hope of Press Passes being available? I host a radio show for San Antonio College's radio station KSYM. I also host a YouTube show called The New Matthew Martinez Show (Not many people know about it though).

I'm thinking about attending since I got family in Austin. Is there any hope of Press Passes being available? I host a radio show for San Antonio College's radio station KSYM. I also host a YouTube show called The New Matthew Martinez Show (Not many people know about it though).

If you enjoy video games at all, I'm sure you'll love the show! I'd definitely drive up from San Antonio to attend if I lived there. I'll ask David Kaelin (the show's main organizer) about press passes.

..Al

• Like 1

Do yall ever have gaming contest? It would be fun to play some sports games from way back when. I was always a badass when it came to M-Network Super Challenge football. Would be cool to take on another oldtimer to see if my skills are still solid.

Nevermind, I found the link to the site. Looks like it would be awesome. Would Warshaw be available for autographs?

Edited by bigfriendly

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow San Antonioan checking in. I am definitely planning on attending Classic Game Fest this year, it will be my first. It's at the end of July so hopefully my partner will have moved down here by then so I'll have a buddy to go with me. Otherwise maybe I'll just hover around the AtariAge booth annoying everyone! :P

I live in Dallas. About 200 miles from Austin. I'm pondering taking a small road trip.

Would be great if you can make it! Should be a fun show this year. If it's in your budget, you could stay overnight in Austin, which would make the trip a bit more bearable (driving back and forth from Dallas in one day is a lot of time in the car!)

..Al

• Like 1

Hey guys, I have never attended a game conference of any kind and I would love the CGF to be my first. My wife is addimitley opposed to my going because of how tight the money is. I just started a new job this week and we do need some necessities, tires for the car etc. I can't really argue with her since unfortunately she is correct. However, I just learned that starting next week the overtime available at work will be in huge abundance all the way up to the 4th of July. If I start working everyday and raking in some seroius coin that totally changes everything! I did some research and if I book a room a few miles out from downtown, pay airfare (I will be flying out of Atlanta) and rent a car it would run $550-$700 for package. The hotels downtown are very pricey. I can rent a midsize car for $150 and still come out cheaper than staying downtown. I look forward to meeting many of you in person to play some classics and drink a few beers;)

See you at the CGF!

Scott

PS If any of you pansies think you are worth a shit at M-Network Super Challenge Football you better have a woodshed constructed out back of the convention center so you can take your ass-whoppin like a man!

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 1

Yeah, anything downtown is pretty pricy these days, but there's no need to stay downtown if you have access to a car and don't mind driving ten minutes to get to the show. Since CGF takes place on a weekend, you won't have to contend with horrible weekday traffic that afflicts Mopac (Loop 1) and I-35. Hope you can make it!

..Al

Al, I am fairly certain that I will be attending the CGF. I should be able to book my flight in a couple of weeks. I read your post concerning the Portland game convention. I hope to book a fairly early flight to Austin on Friday. If it works out that way and you need a hand setting up your booth I would be more than happy to help out. Just let me know:)

Scott

Al, I am fairly certain that I will be attending the CGF. I should be able to book my flight in a couple of weeks. I read your post concerning the Portland game convention. I hope to book a fairly early flight to Austin on Friday. If it works out that way and you need a hand setting up your booth I would be more than happy to help out. Just let me know:)

Scott

Hi Scott!

Yes, any help I can get Friday setting up and/or during the show would be great! Mostly, though, I just need help setting up on Friday and then tearing everything down Sunday evening after the show closes. Setup involves setting up a ton of 2600, 5200 and 7800 systems (and maybe some others, such as an XEGS, Jaguar, etc.) All the monitors need to be placed in their respective locations, systems placed, then everything wired up (A/V cables, power supplies, controllers). All systems, displays and controllers tested to make sure they are all working properly. Games put out on the tables, placards placed on top of displays and tables. AtariAge and other banners setup. One or two large 60+" televisions setup on their display stands (this absolutely requires at least two people) and wiring that up to a computer. Some other things, but that's the bulk of it! I will start another "Call for Volunteers" thread.

..Al

Sounds good. I will keep you posted on my situation. There is a non stop flight that would put me in Austin at 10am. Hopefully it will still have seats when I book my flight. I wouldn't be able to check in at the hotel until around 3:00 anyway. So if all of this works out you can count on me:)

• 2 weeks later...

I attended last year and had a great time. I was particularly impressed with the AtariAge setup. I'm pretty sure I have never seen so many Ataris in one place before. Space Rocks and Stay Frosty were so impressive, I ended up ordering the cartridges late last year. In non-Atari excitement, I saw my first Vectrex at the show. After about a year of searching, my own personal Vectrex arrived just a few weeks ago.

Not sure if I'll be able to make it back this year. I could be travelling for work. If you're in the area, I definitely encourage you to take the opportunity to make it over to the CGF in Austin.

Hope all of you in the Austin area and any from Houston are ok. I saw all the results of that nasty weather. Houston got pummelled and a dam busted over in Austin. In Dallas there has been some flooding but nothing too dangerous. Hopefully it dries out already.

Austin had some flooding, but it was much worse south of Austin, such as along the Blanco River. I had over 6" of rain fall at my house within about two hours a few days ago, and we're still getting rain just about every day. More rain through the weekend, and then I actually see two days forecast as "Clear" next week! I haven't seen one of those days in a month, so that will be nice. If it comes to pass. :)

..Al

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be expos like this out west from time to time; but does anybody know of retro gaming expos in the Southeast: Alabama / Georgia area?

Southern Fried Gameroom Expo – Atlanta, Georgia

(June 19-21, 2015)

http://www.southernfriedgameroomexpo.com/

When you need convention info go to my site.......... https://videogamestoresandconventions.wordpress.com/

• 4 weeks later...