IGNORED

EA All Access

WestofHouse

Have any of you tried it?

If you're not familiar, it's a subscription service that lets you play a "vault" of EA games as well as play select titles before they are released (Star Wars Battlefront is going to be one of those titles, which is one reason I'm considering it). You also get 10% discount on EA games through the Xbox store.

it's $4 a month or only $30 a year, which seems pretty reasonable. If you're into sports games it seems like a much cheaper way to get the new versions every year.

Unfortunately based on one forum response I saw the DLC isn't included the the games in the vault? For example, Battlefield 4 is included in the vault, but apparently it won't have any of the extra map packs.

Edited by WestofHouse

I did it. I'll use it for a few months and then drop it. I find it very convenient and while I enjoy BF4 I don't play it enough to care that I lack the new maps or whatever. I would never buy a Madden but for 4 bucks a month I'll mess around with it a bit. For a casual consumer of their games it's a good deal for EA and me.

The vault does not really see a lot of updates but they claim games won't be pulled out of it. I think it's worth it if you are pretty casual about the titles they offer.

I'm pretty tolerant of game companies grasping the latest technologies, and tolerant of a company wanting to be in control of their own servers/content and even understand the desire for a company to make a profit. EA in my eyes is mostly concerned with the last thing. Making a profit. They have shut down online servers a year or two after releasing a game (Even co-op games) my guess is because they felt it was a waste for them. Say what you will about Microsoft, some of the first games ever released on their consoles are still available to play online if you as a gamer wish to play online with a pal. These days when I see EA is involved I look for something else to play. Not a hard thing to do. They aren't concerned with a gamers best interests and have shown that over and over. Even at $4 a month I wouldn't bite.

• Like 2

So that's like an extra 30 dollars a year on top of Live Gold? Kinda expensive for a bit of multiplaying imo. A better way to look at it is if EA makes a killing off of doing this expect just about every other company to start doing the same.

• 1 month later...

I took the plunge a few days ago but only for BF4 and FIFA15, which I think was recently added and was the deal clincher for me. I played the Beta last year on the 360 and wasn't impressed by it - but they must have REALLY worked on it in the 2-3 weeks between the end of the Beta and the release. For that alone, it's worth it. It's still retailing for about £30+. In the past I'd buy FIFA after it had been out a few months and the price had dropped. FIFA 14 was the first one I pre-ordered. In the end, it's not worth buying it at release.

I might give Madden a go. Played it years ago - was it ever released on the ST as I'm pretty sure it was on that I played it?

I took the plunge a few days ago but only for BF4 and FIFA15, which I think was recently added and was the deal clincher for me.

If you like racing games you should also check out Need For Speed Rivals. Not the best racer I've played but it has some great action.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the plunge a few days ago but only for BF4 and FIFA15, which I think was recently added and was the deal clincher for me. I played the Beta last year on the 360 and wasn't impressed by it - but they must have REALLY worked on it in the 2-3 weeks between the end of the Beta and the release. For that alone, it's worth it. It's still retailing for about £30+. In the past I'd buy FIFA after it had been out a few months and the price had dropped. FIFA 14 was the first one I pre-ordered. In the end, it's not worth buying it at release.

I might give Madden a go. Played it years ago - was it ever released on the ST as I'm pretty sure it was on that I played it?

You probably played Madden on the Amiga, if it was the newer 16-bit Madden. Madden was never released on the ST. There was also an older 8-bit Madden game that was released on the C-64, Apple II and maybe the PC, but it was more of a coaching simulation.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

You probably played Madden on the Amiga, if it was the newer 16-bit Madden. Madden was never released on the ST. There was also an older 8-bit Madden game that was released on the C-64, Apple II and maybe the PC, but it was more of a coaching simulation.

Yeah, the Apple II was the original platform, and it was also released on PC (CGA support and all) and the C-64. EA did do a lot of cross-porting between the Amiga and the Genesis because of their architectural similarities, but the Genesis soon became the lead platform. (In terms of unusual places Madden appeared, I always found the Turbo-Grafx/16 and 3DO ports intriguing. Those were one of the few one-time creations.)