IGNORED

Star Ocean 5 and older games

cimerians

Any Star Ocean fans? The real time combat looks pretty cool in Star Ocean 5, here's one screenshot

2850027-1429463341-24.jpg

I finished the old PS1 game Second Story and the PS2 game Till the End of Time. Played a quarter of last gens game but didn't finish it. Also, never played the original remake on PSP although there is an SNES rom english version of it I was thinking of trying out sometime.

Good news is that the devs don't believe in DLC at all unless fans demand some AFTER the game is done. Unlike Tecmo Koei and NIS which spams console JRPG's with DLC.....this is refreshing to hear.

• Like 1

Good news is that the devs don't believe in DLC at all unless fans demand some AFTER the game is done. Unlike Tecmo Koei and NIS which spams console JRPG's with DLC.....this is refreshing to hear.

If the game is going to be on the PS3, I'll likely pick it up - even more so just because of this. If there's only 4 games in the series otherwise, then I think I have all of them on one system or another. I haven't actually completed any of them however. (Got over half way on Second Story on PS1) I should really go through the games and try to actually complete them.

Love this series. Game is at the top of my list for console titles I still want to buy.

Don't think the series will ever top The Second Story

You know there is a Game Boy game sequel to TSS that we never got. I wonder how that never got a fan translation patch

• 3 months later...

I am also looking forward to this. I am happy for any JRPG that doesn't go the ultra low budget route (still images instead of animated characters in cutscenes, menu driven towns), and Star Ocean is a very good series. I also found part 4 a bit of a downer, but even so it was still a nice enough game. SO2 and 3 were top notch though. SO2 was a level below FFVII technically, but it had loads of content and non linear ways of playing. I remember they advertised it for its countless endings. Great fun, especially if you do like to get into the world and story... in every town you could get optional "private actions", splitting the party up and then looking what each character was doing in town. This lead to many extra scenes and real personality.

SO3 on PS2 really looked high budget. A great game to be sure, with lots to do. Especially memorable to me is the story twist near the end, when... SPOILER ALERT!!!

you find out that our world is nothing but a computer game, and our Gods are the programmers. I really liked that meta approach, never had that in a game before. It is actually a very solid idea. You can view the virtual worlds as realities of our making, and us Gods playing with its lifeforms for our amusement. A fascinating idea, well matching the mythologies of divinity in the world.

Part 1 I still have lying around here in the Japanese SNES version and the European PSP version, I definitely must play it through before SO5 is released.

I am especially glad because shortly before the SO5 announcement it was revealed that Tri-Ace had been bought by a mobile gaming company. I was sure that was it for big console games from them, and then came the SO5 reveal.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I still consider the Super NES Star Ocean my personal favorite of the series, and in my Top 20 Super NES games. Blue Sphere has three fan translations, but only the French one was finished and released. I hope the two English ones aren't abandoned because they looked promising. By the way, am I the only person who prefers "Fate Linegod" over "Fayt Leingod"? (The latter looks really stupid. Yeah, many of the character/location/spell/item names from TtEoT onward were either mistranslated or changed into something dumb.)