IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

heh. Really?? I actually liked Hootie and the Blowfish. Coworker even bought me a copy of Cracked Rear View as a graduation present. (that was from my college radio days)

I didn't like Fairweather Johnson at all, though. Sounded too much like it was outtakes from Cracked Rear View; nothing new. Years later I found out that it was mainly....outtakes from Cracked Rear View. Shame. They put out three albums in a short time (including Unplugged) and they all sounded the same.

• Like 1

heh. Really?? I actually liked Hootie and the Blowfish. Coworker even bought me a copy of Cracked Rear View as a graduation present. (that was from my college radio days)

I didn't like Fairweather Johnson at all, though. Sounded too much like it was outtakes from Cracked Rear View; nothing new. Years later I found out that it was mainly....outtakes from Cracked Rear View. Shame. They put out three albums in a short time (including Unplugged) and they all sounded the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L57CV3kKULg

The frequency of the name "Otto" in old video games was contemplated in the last episode. Here's something from my In Case You Care file. It's an excerpt from a 1994 newsgroup message posted by Tony Miller, who worked on Berzerk with Alan McNeil. I'm not sure exactly what he did.

"Evil Otto was invented to convince you to leave the room after you killed all the robots. Otherwise, people would have the tendency to hang around...Evil Otto was named after a guy by the name of Dave Otto, who worked for the company all of us worked for before joining Stern / URL. This company did R&D for Midway, and was responsible for the first Midway processor-based games [Gun Fight?]. We also worked on the aborted Bally Professional Arcade, one of the first home vid systems. Otto was the co-owner's gopher. We used to call him the sherrif [sic], since he was an ex-rent-a-cop and was responsible for security, toilet paper, coffee, etc."

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/cvg/berzerk.html

• Like 2

By the way, that "company all of [them] worked for before joining Stern / URL" was Dave Nutting Associates (the firm that manufactured Syzygy's Computer Space and designed the Midway games Gorf, Wizard of Wor, Sea Wolf and of course the American version of the Japanese game Western Gun. The renamed Gun Fight was one of the first microprocessor-based arcade games. Most of you probably know this stuff, so I'll enclose it in parentheses. Of course, the reason for the parentheses has been given too late to spare you from reading all of these words. Ain't I a stinka?).

• Like 1

Sean Courtney and I played a rousing round of Xenophobe with one of its creators, Brian Colin. The camera is mounted to my hat. I'm the top character, Dauber is the middle, and Brian Colin is the bottom character.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

New episode is up! It's an unusual episode in that...it's an interview with Brian Colin, who designed games including Rampage, Xenophobe, Arch Rivals, Sarge, Pigskin, Zwackery, General Chaos, etc., and did the graphics and such for Discs of Tron, Spy Hunter, and Spy Hunter II, among others. Fascinating guy to listen to (to say the least!)...

• Like 3

That was f**king awesome.

The interview was pretty damn amazing, too. You sure picked the right guy to speak with. I don't want to include any giveaways by remarking on my favorite parts, but one thing can be mentioned: There sure weren't any awkward silences.

(Well, of course I was initially talking about the Carpenters reference.)

• Like 3

I really wish I had some way of recording sooner. I arrived at Galloping Ghost about 2pm. Brian got there about 2:30 (we scheduled for 3) and he tracked me down at the Bagman machine and from that point on it was basically a huge two-hour-plus conversation. I brought basically an entire recording studio with me (my new MacBook Pro, a brand new Blue Yeti microphone, and the mic/digital recorder I was using for the podcast until recently), and while I was getting that set up Brian had whipped together a makeshift table consisting of four chairs and a big piece of plywood that was in the office. Inky arrived at about 3:15. And that whole time we kept the conversation going. Just fascinating from the start.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an update...

We recorded episode 26 last week. Due to some really nasty technical difficulties, we might not be able to get the episode out until at least the weekend. :(

Man, I'm having a crappy week so far.

• Like 2

Sorry you're having a crappy week. That doesn't sound like much fun. I guess that's a truism, but considering the variety of people in the world, there's probably somebody out there who likes crappy weeks.

Anyway, imagine how awesome next week will be by comparison!

Edited by Chris++
  • Like 1

Sorry you're having a crappy week. That doesn't sound like much fun. I guess that's a truism, but considering the variety of people in the world, there's probably somebody out there who likes crappy weeks.

"Have a crappy day!" -- George Carlin

• Like 1

Just an update...

We recorded episode 26 last week. Due to some really nasty technical difficulties, we might not be able to get the episode out until at least the weekend. :(

Man, I'm having a crappy week so far.

Let's just say that he was editing the show, laughed hard, passed the Coca-Cola through his nose, and I think you can guess the rest.

This episode is that good.

• Like 1

7800 Xenophobe IS a good port, thanks TO the controllers. I'm one of the few who dont hate the ProLines. They made the Xenophobe arcade version's overly-complex control system more manageable on the 7800. & a lack of various characters is a poor reason to knock it- all necessary gameplay aspects are there, it's a fine game overall.

Lizzie = Creature of the Black Lagoon? Clearly she's based on Godzilla, she has a tail & is not aquatic. (Lizzie = lizard = reptile)

Did you guys talk to Brian Colin? I couldn't tell by the 379 times you mentioned it. :P

• Like 3