IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Whoa...didn't we release a final episode for 2017? Heh...well, the thing about that is....HERE'S A BONUS EPISODE!!

Jim and Sean offer you a holiday gift: an extra episode! The Pie Factory hosts aren't too afraid of...public speaking...to offer one more...broadcast...for 2017. Normally they talk about video games, but this time they get...behind the microphone...another way to talk about a topic pertinent to their past lives. For the...record...this episode's transmission may make your head spin! We hope you stay...stationary...and don't get...carted...away! In fact, we hope you end up walking on...the air!

http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_BonusEpisode2017.mp3

• Like 1

How do you know your state has the Mississippi river in it? You have radio stations that begin with K and W.

Not entirely true. There's one radio station in Pittsburgh that starts with a K. That's because it was the first commercially operating radio station in the US.

Here's a reference. Apparently the original line for the cutoff between W and K was along the western borders of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas, but in 1923, it was moved east to the Mississippi river...

post-144-0-22287700-1513177584.gif

post-144-0-38445400-1513177622.gif

The key to the colors:
Purple: 1920-1921 anomaly--KDKA.
Blue: pre-January 1923 boundary shift--WBAP, WDAY, WEW, WHB, WJAG, WKY, WNAX, WOAI, WOC, WOI, WTAW.
Gray: ex-portable--WBBZ, WIBW, WMBH.
Dark Green: moved to other side of the Mississippi-- KSGM.
Red: requested call--KFNS, KWAM, WDBQ, WHO, WMT, WSUI, WUMY.
Light Green: government assigned call--KTGG.
Black: reason unknown--KFIZ, KQV, KYW.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Everybody's fourth-favorite midwestern video game podcast hosts have returned from their monthlong tour of Europe, Scandinavia, and the subcontinent with deep thoughts about Battlezone and Juno First. Shirley this episode will go down in history as "The Show Notes Episode."

http://www.fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode068.mp3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What? You thought Sean and Jim would let January end without you getting another episode in your podcast player?! Pshaw! Here with the long-awaited episode 69 are your beloved hosts waxing philosophical about two early '80s space games. We're sure to sell a million units...in January.

http://www.fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode069.mp3

• Like 3

The history of bad voiceovers in video games is interesting.

Listen to Vanguard. It sounds like a bored, sleepy teenager reading you the specials at Burger King.

Listen to SOCOM(Playstation 2). It's a military game, but with cheerful 1950s nuclear family dad voiceovers("outgoing!"), when a grenade is tossed, sounding nothing like the drill sergant guy from Full Metal Jacket.

• Like 1

BTW, thanks for doing the Radio Ep. It was a great listen!

Some questions: Since the music radio stations play is copyrighted, do they have to pay in some way to play the music, like some sort of license or royalty deal, or is there some kind of understanding that the radio station doesn't have to pay, since they are promoting the artists and their albums? And is there any music a radio station can't legally play for some reason?

I know TV stations have to pay for their content and can only show what they own or have permission to show, but I wondered if radio was different.

Special Episode Idea: Your 5 favorite 5 continues games.

I don't know how many 5 continues games you each have, but I'm curious what your best of the best is so far.

BTW, thanks for doing the Radio Ep. It was a great listen!

Some questions: Since the music radio stations play is copyrighted, do they have to pay in some way to play the music, like some sort of license or royalty deal, or is there some kind of understanding that the radio station doesn't have to pay, since they are promoting the artists and their albums? And is there any music a radio station can't legally play for some reason?

I know TV stations have to pay for their content and can only show what they own or have permission to show, but I wondered if radio was different.

Special Episode Idea: Your 5 favorite 5 continues games.

I don't know how many 5 continues games you each have, but I'm curious what your best of the best is so far.

I believe that radio stations have to pay a fee to ASCAP for the license to play music. Having not been in the music diirector's position, I couldn't tell you.

As far as music you can't play, the FCC for the longest time used George Carlin's "Seven words you can never say on Television" routine as a baseline. Outside foul language, I think each station makes their own rules. I recall the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback was censored by Bonneville broadcasting stations. They bleeped out the word "drug" in the song.

We did do a "rethinking the 5's" episode about a year ago with Ferg... http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode045.mp3 Does that count?

• Like 1

I believe that radio stations have to pay a fee to ASCAP for the license to play music. Having not been in the music diirector's position, I couldn't tell you.

As far as music you can't play, the FCC for the longest time used George Carlin's "Seven words you can never say on Television" routine as a baseline. Outside foul language, I think each station makes their own rules. I recall the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback was censored by Bonneville broadcasting stations. They bleeped out the word "drug" in the song.

We did do a "rethinking the 5's" episode about a year ago with Ferg... http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode045.mp3 Does that count?

So the license basically covers it all. I was wondering if it was something like that.

I recall that ep, but did you give your favorite fives, or just if the fives were still worth fives?

No matter, even if you did, it's something you could revist every year, since you are constantly finding new five continues games.

• 3 weeks later...