Jump to content
IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Rumor has it that episode 141 has been released. Well, we're here to completely dispel that rumor: it's actually episode 140 that's been released. But not even a party band outside of Pie Factory Podcast's south headquarters could prevent Jimmy G from bringing you all the important news about a couple of 40-something-year-old video games, with the somewhat undying help of his cohost Sean. It's all about dedication, friends.

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2023/09/06/episode-140-astro-invader-redux-and-astro-fighter/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @Dauber, @Inky, and fellow Pie Factory Podcast fans! Finished listening to episode 140 today and absolutely loved it! The new new theme song for me is fantastic! You guys are the best! I've already started work on my next audio submission. Any requests from anyone? Looking forward to talking about Ghosts & Goblins and Monster Bash! Thanks again everyone. Talk with you soon. :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hells yes, I'm a big fan of the Frog, too. That riff they cut to introduce feedback segments rocks like a lost Hendrix recording or something. I'd love to ask their guitarist what he used to get that tone, but they're so elusive when it comes to being interviewed. Given the amount of money Sid Bernstein offered them just to sit for a ten-minute Q&A, they must be quite dogged about their privacy.

 

If you're seriously soliciting requests, PM, I'd love to hear the statement "Scattered Frog rocks" in Japanese. Thanks!

 

(It's sure nice to hear someone pronounce "Fahrenheit" correctly, I'll tell ya that. :))

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 9:51 PM, Chris+++ said:

 

Hells yes, I'm a big fan of the Frog, too. That riff they cut to introduce feedback segments rocks like a lost Hendrix recording or something. I'd love to ask their guitarist what he used to get that tone, but they're so elusive when it comes to being interviewed. Given the amount of money Sid Bernstein offered them just to sit for a ten-minute Q&A, they must be quite dogged about their privacy.

 

If you're seriously soliciting requests, PM, I'd love to hear the statement "Scattered Frog rocks" in Japanese. Thanks!

 

(It's sure nice to hear someone pronounce "Fahrenheit" correctly, I'll tell ya that. :))

 

Hi @Chris+++! I'm just now reading your comment, so my apologies for not getting your request in my latest audio submission. However, I will work on your request. Would you like it completely translated to Japanese, just translate "rocks" and keep "Scattered Frog" with Japanese pronunciation, or just pronounce everything as a native Japanese person would speaking English? Let me know. I will deliver! :D
(My thanks on my pronunciation of "Fahrenheit". Glad you like it!)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PlaidMouse said:

Hi @Chris+++! I'm just now reading your comment, so my apologies for not getting your request in my latest audio submission. However, I will work on your request. Would you like it completely translated to Japanese, just translate "rocks" and keep "Scattered Frog" with Japanese pronunciation, or just pronounce everything as a native Japanese person would speaking English? Let me know. I will deliver! :D
(My thanks on my pronunciation of "Fahrenheit". Glad you like it!)

 

Since you're so graciously willing, PM, I would love to hear the whole statement completely translated to Japanese. Hopefully, that's not asking for any extra research on your part! If so, I don't want to ask too much. It's ultimately up to you, of course. I just find the language phonetically beautiful.

 

(That Sid Bernstein bit was merely an inside joke about the Beatles that at least one person will get. :D )

 

 

 

Edited by Chris+++
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Chris+++ said:

 

Since you're so graciously willing, PM, I would love to hear the whole statement completely translated to Japanese. Hopefully, that's not asking for any extra research on your part! If so, I don't want to ask too much. It's ultimately up to you, of course. I just find the language phonetically beautiful.

 

(That Sid Bernstein bit was merely an inside joke about the Beatles that at least one person will get. :D )

 

 

 

Hello again! No problem at all. I'll work on it either later tonight or sometime tomorrow. I apologize that I didn't get the reference to Sid Bernstein, but I'm glad to now be in on the joke! Talk with you soon. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

     Greetings from Delaware everyone! I hope this day finds you all doing well! @Chris+++, here's the answer to your question:

1. Since Scattered Frog's name is a name of foreign origin (from the Japanese point of view), it would simply be transliterated as スカタードフログ (Sukata-do Furogu).

2. There's no way to directly translate the verb "rocks" into Japanese, so the closest you could get is いいね! (Ii ne!/It's great, isn't it?) or すごい (Sugoi/Amazing).

3. Therefore, the best translations would be スカタードフログはいいね!(Sukata-do Furogu wa ii ne!/Scattered Frog is great, right?!) or スカタードフログはすごい!(Sukata-do Furogu wa sugoi!/Scattered Frog is amazing!).

4. Just for grins and giggles, I did a couple of literal translation, which my Japanese wife assures me makes no sense and is just plain silly.

     a. バラバラな蛙はいいね!(Barabara na kaeru wa ii ne!/The dismembered frog is great, isn't it!?)

     b. たくさんの蛙はいいね!(Takusan no kaeru wa ii ne!/Lots of frogs is great, right!?)

5. And there's your Japanese lesson for the day! I'll add it to my next audio submission. If you would like to hear it sooner, let me know and I'll post it here. :)

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just in time for Portland Retro Gaming Expo (kinda), we present episode 141! This time, instead of the usual booing from people listening, the boos we here are from the spooky creatures that come herewith and thereto and therein with two creepy-themed games. Join us for our usual reviews, commentary, and side-splitting hair-raising banter!

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2023/10/14/ghosts-n-goblins-and-monster-bash/

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dauber said:

Just in time for Portland Retro Gaming Expo (kinda), we present episode 141! This time, instead of the usual booing from people listening, the boos we here are from the spooky creatures that come herewith and thereto and therein with two creepy-themed games. Join us for our usual reviews, commentary, and side-splitting hair-raising banter!

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2023/10/14/ghosts-n-goblins-and-monster-bash/

Listening to it now! I wish I could be there in Portland and the Retro Gaming Expo. Nonetheless, for all of you fine folks that are, have a fantastic time!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2023 at 6:47 AM, PlaidMouse said:

     Greetings from Delaware everyone! I hope this day finds you all doing well! @Chris+++, here's the answer to your question:

1. Since Scattered Frog's name is a name of foreign origin (from the Japanese point of view), it would simply be transliterated as スカタードフログ (Sukata-do Furogu).

2. There's no way to directly translate the verb "rocks" into Japanese, so the closest you could get is いいね! (Ii ne!/It's great, isn't it?) or すごい (Sugoi/Amazing).

3. Therefore, the best translations would be スカタードフログはいいね!(Sukata-do Furogu wa ii ne!/Scattered Frog is great, right?!) or スカタードフログはすごい!(Sukata-do Furogu wa sugoi!/Scattered Frog is amazing!).

4. Just for grins and giggles, I did a couple of literal translation, which my Japanese wife assures me makes no sense and is just plain silly.

     a. バラバラな蛙はいいね!(Barabara na kaeru wa ii ne!/The dismembered frog is great, isn't it!?)

     b. たくさんの蛙はいいね!(Takusan no kaeru wa ii ne!/Lots of frogs is great, right!?)

5. And there's your Japanese lesson for the day! I'll add it to my next audio submission. If you would like to hear it sooner, let me know and I'll post it here. :)

 

Very cool! Thanks for undertaking that bit o' research, PM. It's interesting how the closest possible translation of a word combination that has humorous nuances in English will mean something quite different in another language, but which will render its own, unrelated kind of humor. Imagine overhearing a conversation in public in which one of the people says, "The dismembered frog is great, right?" You would either be sure to keep your distance, or......have questions.

 

Looking forward to hearing it in the applicable episode! (And no apology necessary for not getting the Sid Bernstein reference -- it's beyond obscure, into the realm of unaccountably goofy.)

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new website looks great! Well, and more importantly, it works great. It's more navigable and intuitive. Especially cool is the "Games Discussed" list. I scrolled through it and re-downloaded a few episodes that I know I've already heard, since I've never missed one, but which I forgot, in terms of the games you covered. I wanted to hear again about your particular experiences with them. In fact, just now, I took a full ten seconds to re-listen to the episode featuring New Rally-X and Super Xevious. I remember how hard I laughed when I first heard that. And yet it's completely fair and accurate!

 

Happy Birthday to both of you, by the way. I'm at least a month late with at least one of those Happies. Shame on me twice.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, PlaidMouse said:

Hello everyone! @Dauber and @Inky, I've made my submission for episode #142! @Chris+++, I gave you a shout out! :D
Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on Phozon!!!!
And Joinem too.

If there are any fans of the Japanese language or obscure comic book characters, you'll be pleased with my submission as well!

I need to apologize to all of you, as I just found out that I missed the submission time. This is all my fault and I am very sorry. @Dauber has assured me in good humor that I have ensured an episode #143, which I honestly do appreciate. Again, my deepest apologies for not being on time with this one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2023 at 7:09 AM, PlaidMouse said:

I need to apologize to all of you, as I just found out that I missed the submission time. This is all my fault and I am very sorry. @Dauber has assured me in good humor that I have ensured an episode #143, which I honestly do appreciate. Again, my deepest apologies for not being on time with this one.

 

Hey, it happens, PM! No apology necessary, at least in this listener's eyes. Looking forward to hearing your submission when #143 rolls around.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We here at Pie Factory Podcast do not do turkey drops; we do EPISODE drops. And today we're dropping episode 142! There's more to do in the world than just eat (although, listening to this episode, you'd never know that). We also like to play video games from time to time. So join us!

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2023/11/20/episode-142-join-em-and-phozon/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, Chris+++ said:

 

Hey, it happens, PM! No apology necessary, at least in this listener's eyes. Looking forward to hearing your submission when #143 rolls around.

 

Thank you so much @Chris+++! I've submitted something specific for Episode #143, and there's my submission for Episode #142 that didn't make it in time, so you'll get to hear two entries from me if @Dauberand @Inky allow. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2023 at 1:41 PM, Dauber said:

We here at Pie Factory Podcast do not do turkey drops; we do EPISODE drops. And today we're dropping episode 142! There's more to do in the world than just eat (although, listening to this episode, you'd never know that). We also like to play video games from time to time. So join us!

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2023/11/20/episode-142-join-em-and-phozon/

It was another fun episode, and not a turkey in the slightest. ;)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There are exactly two things that everybody likes: podcasts and video games. Nothing else. And boy, do we have some good news for you: for the first time ever, Jim and Sean have put the two together! Your 2023 will certainly go out on a high note as the two trade barbs over two arcade compilations. Who will win? What will their ultimate settlement be? The world may never know. But listen to episode 143 for at least some clues.
 

https://piefactorypodcast.wordpress.com/2023/12/27/episode-143-namco-classic-collection/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for audibly answering my translation question, PlaidMouse! I appreciate that you took the time. I've always loved the sounds of Oriental languages, especially Japanese, although I haven't much hope of learning any of them to a conversant degree, given all of the nuances, colloquial contexts and so forth. It was all I could do to get Spanish through my noggin in high school, and that was mainly because I'd grown up around it in New Mexico, coupled with the fact that my older family members spoke a lot of Italian (the Romantic languages are quite similar).

 

Anyway, thanks again! That was cool.

 

Oh, and great episode as always, fellas. Obviously. I mean, come on. Duh.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...