IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Speaking of new Pacmaniax articles...ahem...

(Yes, I know there are only so many hours in the day.)

Spoiler alert: actually started researching Jawbreaker yesterday for the next post.

Spoiler alert #2: when you just receive a MyIDE2 for your Atari 600XL and immediately want to try the 8-bit version of Jawbreaker and know that .xex is the extension for Atari 8-bit emulation files and you search DuckDuckGo for "jawbreaker xex," you get some...uhhhh...interesting results.

• Like 1

Dauber, on 07 Oct 2015 - 5:13 PM, said:

Spoiler alert: actually started researching Jawbreaker yesterday for the next post.

Spoiler alert #2: when you just receive a MyIDE2 for your Atari 600XL and immediately want to try the 8-bit version of Jawbreaker and know that .xex is the extension for Atari 8-bit emulation files and you search DuckDuckGo for "jawbreaker xex," you get some...uhhhh...interesting results.

Have you had a chance to play Pac Man Battle Royale? I really enjoy it, but it's a game you really need 3-4 people playing to get the best gameplay.

I've also heard of a four player Pac-Man themed air hockey table, but I've not seen this one yet.

Sean,

Have you tried Pac-Man Arcade on the 5200 yet? It's an excellent conversion and even works well with the standard 5200 controllers. I'm not sure if tep392 is making another batch of them or not (I got one of the second batch) but it's well worth picking up if you have a 5200 and want a more arcade-perfect version than the original.

AFAIK, the arcade version of DKjr is analogous to that of DK. In the US:

- Clear the first screen, then you get the blue screen, level over.

- Clear the first screen, then you get the bouncy thing screen, then blue screen, level over

Japan:

- Clear the first screen, then you get the bouncy thing spring, then you get the thing with stuff coming at you that you have to jump (pies / electricity), then blue screen, level over

• Like 1

Is there an equivalent for the 8-bit computers?

The 400/800 version of Pac-Man is, for obvious reasons, identical to the 5200 version, presumably with a couple of values changed to account for the small number of different addresses in Pam.

EDIT: Oops, you meant the newer, homemade Pac-Man. Sorry about that!

Edited by Chris++

Japan:

- Clear the first screen, then you get the bouncy thing spring, then you get the thing with stuff coming at you that you have to jump (pies / electricity), then blue screen, level over

And by "bouncy thing spring," I mean "bouncy thing screen."

Sad to hear about all the barcades in the Chicago area. Why? I'm within driving distance of it, and want to do a weekend trip to Chinatown there, and other places I can hit. I have hit Ground Kontrol in Portland, and that set the bar quite high for retro arcades. Great clientele(not all guys), good pinball selection & good arcade game selection. Beer is served and there's a weird Robotron 2084 exhibit right across the street.

I have come up with a theory about Headquarters (a theory that might slightly soften the blow I dealt to that barcade) and I'll mention it in episode 17...but again, I've heard nothing but good things about Logan Arcade.

If your bar is set that high, then forget the barcades and check out Underground Retrocade (right off I-90) or drive further and go to Galloping Ghost....have a feeling that Galloping Ghost would blow your effing mind, especially if you're impressed by quantity.

Edited by Dauber

Hmm...both showed up fine for me....BUT...for some reason, 7800 GBG episode 19 is showing up in my iTunes as an item that was added *yesterday*. I downloaded it Tuesday, but for some reason today it disappeared from Tuesday and re-appeared with yesterday's date on it and with a cloud icon by it.

If you're still having problems with the latest PFP, you can get it the old-fashioned way at piefactorypodcast.com

The latest episode isn't showing up in iTunes for me. Having same problem with 7800 GBG. Anyone else having this issue?

So when you posted this, both my podcast and PF were not showing up in the iTunes store, but it appears subscribers still automatically got them downloaded when they logged into iTunes.

Then last night PF showed up in the store and mine seemed to show up today. Seems there was a 3 day delay from when we uploaded them.

My guess: iTunes couldn't handle the combined awesomeness of our podcasts coming out so close to each other (in addition to Shinto's podcast).

I shudder to think what would've happened if Ferg's show would've come out on Wednesday!

Mr. Do! is a far more interesting and enjoyable game to me than Dig Dug...are we positive that the latter was released first (Wiki Rumor Site notwithstanding)?

Anyway, I was glad to hear you mention Toy Pop, an incredibly fun arcade game. I urge you in all modesty to read the pertinent chapter in the Bookcast someday, and see what you think when you play it. It would be an awesome game to hear you cover at some point.

For some reason, it was super-cool to hear the Cassidy excerpt of the Crystals song. Well, and the Crystals excerpt, but I had the Shaun 45 (Warner Bros. -- tree label) when I was 4 or 5. "That's Rock and Roll" (written by Eric Carmen of the Raspberries) was a damn fine Cassidy cut as well.

I sense I've gone drastically off-topic, so I'll stop typing now. You're welcome!

• Like 1

Here's a very nice blog post about the arcade game Journey for your upcoming episode:

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-story-of-journey-video-game.html

BTW, I really like this game, although I've never seen a arcade machine in the wild, just played it in MAME. Which is missing the Journey song playing from the tape deck. There's probably a way to get it playing through MAME, but I didn't did that much into it. :)

Here's a very nice blog post about the arcade game Journey for your upcoming episode:

http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-story-of-journey-video-game.html

BTW, I really like this game, although I've never seen a arcade machine in the wild, just played it in MAME. Which is missing the Journey song playing from the tape deck. There's probably a way to get it playing through MAME, but I didn't did that much into it. :)

Hmm... the song plays on my cabinet. So I can confirm it's possible.