IGNORED

The MAME- & MESS-Emulator Starter-Batch (v1.24)

Schmitzi

INFO:

Sorry, this tool is no more running on the newer Mame-Versions, there were many changes.

Since then I am still working with version 166b, this is the old style, this works. So I will stay there.

Maybe on this base, I will do some correction in future, fon´t know.

So please do not use this tool on newer Mame or Mess versions (!)

It won´t damage anything, but it won´t run, too.

(I will use this thread here for a totally other topic next time, as I am able to edit post #1 here)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST #1, so far:

Hi,

the MAME & MESS-STARTER-BATCH for Windows (32/64bit) will help you with starting the Emulator.

Any suggestions and requests welcome.

Just unpack the Small-Zip into the wanted Mame/Mess-folder, but reading the manual is mandatory.

For the Big-Zip with full install please send pm.

Good luck

Schmitzi

The Batch....

IS ABLE TO START: with PEB-Slots:

[ 1 ] = GENEVE-9640 2:MEMEX 3:HRD4000 5:SPEECH 6:RS232 8:HFDC

[ 2 ] = TI-99/4A AE 2:32KMEM 3:HRD4000 5:SPEECH 6:RS232 8:HFDC

[ 3 ] = TI-99/EV 2: --- 3:SPEECH 4:SAMSMEM 6:RS232 8:HFDC

[ 4 ] = GENEVE-9640-UDS 2:MYARCMM 3:SPEECH 4:RS232 5:HORIZON 8:HFDC

[ 5 ] = TI-99/EV HSGPL 3:SPEECH 4:SAMSMEM 5:HSGPL 6:RS232 8:HFDC

download the actual version here (Small-ZIP):

MAME-MESS-STARTER-v124a_0166b-32-64bit_SMALL-ZIP-Batch-ONLY.zip

download the small manual here:

MAME-MESS-STARTER-TI99-1.24-MANUAL.pdf

RMSAAED

Find the older version here:

MESS-STARTER-TI99-1.10J2.zip

MESS-START-TI99-1.10d-MANUAL.pdf

Edited by schmitzi
  • Like 10

very nice. Can I suggest having selections for using the Serial Bridge as well ? This will allow the use of UDS and serial devices to be used within MESS so users can actually call BBS if they have the devices within MESS.

I use the below executed in my batch file to emulated via MESS. It's the very first option

c:\mess\mess.exe -serl1 socket.localhost:10000 -rompath "C:\Mess\bios" -hashpath "c:\mess\hash" geneve -peb:slot2 myarcmem -peb:slot3 speech -peb:slot4 tirs232 -peb:slot5 horizon -peb:slot8 hfdc -floppydisk1 "C:\TEMP\MYFBBS.DSK" -harddisk1 "C:\Mess\DISKS\GENBOOT.CHD" -harddisk2 "C:\Mess\DISKS\HDISK2.chd" -harddisk3 "C:\Mess\DISKS\hdisk3.chd"

of course the serial bridge option is used using the TIIMAGETOOL running first as below:

My Serial Bridge badge file for TIIMAGETOOL (must be run first):

CD\
CD PC UTILITIES
cd tiimagetool14
java -jar tiimagetool.jar BRIDGE COM3 10000

Chris

Edited by Cschneider
  • Like 2

Chris, yes of course I can do that. I will play around a bit with your given parameters,

(thanks for that, that´s what I need as I am not so firm with Mess :)

and then I´ll find a way to implement it all with "One-Klick", I think (for the tiimage-command too)

Is it possible just to deliver out the TIimage-tool inside my ZIP, or are there license considerations ?

(for a easy beginner´s full function of all, without downloading & installing all tools each seperately, a.s.o.)

what do you think ?

--

One problem in addition is, if I would fix one new config (i.e. # 4) of the BATCH to your given harddisk- and floppydisk-filenames here,

and other users (or my BIG-ZIP) do not have this files in exact, there will be issues for that menue-choice, to other users.

Ralf

• Like 1

Also to use the serial bridge the functionality needs to be added for Java. User will see an error like below if it is not working:

FATAL: serial library missing, implementing gnu.io.serial port (like rxtx)

This site explains on how to do it and provides the binaries. Myself and others have used this to get it working.

http://pharos.ece.utexas.edu/wiki/index.php/How_to_Access_Your_Serial_Port_using_Java

I have attached both 32bit and 64bit windows binaries.

rxtx-2.1-32bit.zip

rxtx-2.2-20081207-win-x64.zip

• Like 1

Neat will have to try this out. Since I lost my old hdd and notes on my first desktop PC, I never been able to for some reason to get a new setup of MESS working, luckly I still have some mess hard drive images from my previous setup, maybe with this I can figure out what I was doing wrong, or go back to debugging my crappy windows 7 machine to see what could be stopping it from working.

I will let you know my results later on this weekend. Nice to see a package like this, hope it helps out alot of others. --

All tho personally I still love Classic99 for basic everyday emulation of TI99 work, if only there was a Classic9640 I would not even think twice about mess'ing with mess anymore.

• Like 1

That's cool, I haven't done anything with MESS yet, perhaps this will be a good starting point. :)

See the 2x videos --- I can package this as well, then you have the GUI with pictures of all the TI's

(I copy and paste here from FaceBook) - It is important that your GeneveBoot disk has the GPL files (which does not come on the disks distributed on WHTECH, etc.)

Luckily Fred Kaal pointed me to this. I have only be doing the GUI version, Ralf doing the batch mode version, which is great!

http://www.globeron.com/freedownload/TI99EmulatorsMESS.mp4

Video explanation of MESS 0.157 + QMC2 0.47 running TI-99/4, TI-99/4A, TI-99/4A-QI, TI-99/4A+EVPC, TI-99/8, Geneva 9640 and the available slots plus cards for the emulated PEB box (Disk controllers, TI/Myarc, Horizon-, Myarc Memory Expansion, Multi-module switch ("Navarone"), 32K, P-Code, TI-RS232/PIO, SNUG EVPC, etc.). It takes some time to set it up, but this is how to get to the command prompt ... (I have not figured out how to get into TIMODE yet on the Geneva, Fred Kaal gave me some hints on the AUTOEXEC, but I think I still miss some GPL files).

Ronald van Kleunen Part 2 --> MESS Emulator -> Geneve 9640 -> How to start TIMODE using the GPL interpreter + a familiar celebration at the end.
  • Like 1

Yes, it is all inside the BIP-ZIP, GPL-files too.

Hi Ralf, had no problem starting the MESS. :) Big chief (zip) works. :)

Although I had to assign a drive letter, starting it from another computer on my network. But that’s just a windows thing.

See the 2x videos --- I can package this as well, then you have the GUI with pictures of all the TI's

(I copy and paste here from FaceBook) - It is important that your GeneveBoot disk has the GPL files (which does not come on the disks distributed on WHTECH, etc.)

Luckily Fred Kaal pointed me to this. I have only be doing the GUI version, Ralf doing the batch mode version, which is great!

http://www.globeron.com/freedownload/TI99EmulatorsMESS.mp4

Video explanation of MESS 0.157 + QMC2 0.47 running TI-99/4, TI-99/4A, TI-99/4A-QI, TI-99/4A+EVPC, TI-99/8, Geneva 9640 and the available slots plus cards for the emulated PEB box (Disk controllers, TI/Myarc, Horizon-, Myarc Memory Expansion, Multi-module switch ("Navarone"), 32K, P-Code, TI-RS232/PIO, SNUG EVPC, etc.). It takes some time to set it up, but this is how to get to the command prompt ... (I have not figured out how to get into TIMODE yet on the Geneva, Fred Kaal gave me some hints on the AUTOEXEC, but I think I still miss some GPL files).

Ronald van Kleunen Part 2 --> MESS Emulator -> Geneve 9640 -> How to start TIMODE using the GPL interpreter + a familiar celebration at the end.

Thanks globeron, for pointing to the videos! The GUI looks impressive, however, I’m just going to need the TI-99/4A emulation, of course with all its peripherals for programming and hardware mods. (I have to restrain myself, otherwise my head explodes. :-P ) But then again, playing with those other TI’s form time to time, would also be nice.

So yes, I’d like to have it, if you could upload it somewhere.

Can MASS also emulate the F18A or odd things like V9958 instead of the TMS9918A? Than I could test how the compatibility would be when replacing the TMS9918A with a V9958.

Edit:

But Gary from OPA could probably answer that question...

Edited by Dexter
  • Like 2

MESS has an emulation for v9938 (for the Geneve and EVPC). The 9958 is also available (but not used in the TI emulations).

@Dexter: In theory you could modify the emulations to use other chips or create a completely new computer in your own copy of MESS. However, MESS is not yet at a point where you can just plug emulated circuits together (although this is a future goal).

There are no plans to include the F18A in MESS, not because I did not like the F18A (which is not true), but because I don't see how this could be done, gven the architecture of MAME / MESS. The F18A is a FPGA-based piece of hardware running at a very high speed (100 MHz if I remember correctly) which is far out of reach for the MAME core. It may be feasible to simulate the F18A on a higher level, i.e. providing the same output as it shows in real life. A deep emulation would be needed when you want to include re-programming capabilities. And at that point we would really need the 100 MHz processing of the emulated 9900 core, where we already have to consider that the 3 MHz 9900 emulation gives us a 40% CPU load on a current PC system (Core i7), and which makes the Raspi crawl at 20% of the emulation performance.

• Like 2

Also to use the serial bridge the functionality needs to be added for Java. User will see an error like below if it is not working:

FATAL: serial library missing, implementing gnu.io.serial port (like rxtx)

This site explains on how to do it and provides the binaries. Myself and others have used this to get it working.

http://pharos.ece.utexas.edu/wiki/index.php/How_to_Access_Your_Serial_Port_using_Java

I have attached both 32bit and 64bit windows binaries.

Hi Chris,

is this the correct version ? (pls see pic)

http://download.java.net/jdk6/6u21/promoted/b05/binaries/?q=download/jdk6/6u21/promoted/b05/binaries/

I already have coded an "Option 4" in the BATCH for you, setting COM3, and get this error.

No I want the BATCH to check and distribute the Java JDK automatically :D :D maybe maybe it works :)

(but only if Option 4 is choosen, for safety)

Some questions:

1. You cannot connect the Geneve in the Mess with your PCs/Windows-connectivity to the given LAN/NIC ? Right ?

So go go gadget the WorkAround to redirect in the Mess/Geneve your COM1: to Java-port 10000,

and in Java you map this port 10000 to COM3: on the PC, which is conneced to the Lantronix-UDS10´s

(maybe with USB2SER if laptop :) (haha, and afterwards via WLAN / Vonets VAP11N, uih, what a construct :)

this way for the "meeting" ? Means, The Mess/Geneve leaves the Computer over another way than standard-NIC ?

2. You have to add an ADITIONAL path inside the BATCH (on your own) for the C:\temp-path of your MYFBBS.DSK (see Manual)

but MUCH easier would be to copy that DSK, in your case, to C:\mess\disks. So the BATCH finds it automatically

3. at the moment the BATCH only supports ONE Floppy/HDD/Cartridge. As I dont have your HD-files and your DSK,

I cannot test that with my UDS at all. (can you upload that to my FTP or is is "private"

4. Option 4 uses the MayArcMem now, not the Memex-RAM as does in Option 1. With MayArcMem, "Tonys Menu" cannot

call all programs, i.e. Press S for educational, and then A for the Addition-Cartridge (uses Tim´s GPL-Cheater in Mess)

It stops loading with one strange sign on the screen and hangs. (while loading HDS1.GRAM.AB.Addition1)

But maybe that is a known issue, for the combination of GPL and the MayArcMem-RAM and we can ignore it.

But just wanted to mention it, and that I had to make this change in Option 4, as you use the MyArcMem, and NOT the Memex.

5. Is it correct, on Windows 64bit, with Java-32bit installed, as usual :), to install the JDK in 32bit, NT in 64bit, right ?

Do you have both JDK-Downloads for me ? Java.com says "Down for maintenance"

ONLY version jdk1.6.0_21, right ?

is this OK ? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html#jdk-6u21-b07-oth-JPR

Maybe ready tonight, but have no idea at the moment with your 3 harddisks.

Ralf

post-41141-0-05948800-1430426694_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-56683000-1430427912_thumb.jpg

Edited by schmitzi
  • Like 1

Chris,

nevertheless, here you can check prepared "Option 4", at least you should NOT get the RXTX-error,

as you have the Java-JDK installed

Ralf

(all other users can use this new version, but please don´t use Option 4) (but nothing bad can happen :)

/EDIT this AA-Editor is so unhandy in handling/

Edited by schmitzi

thanks, I just tr to add these RXTX-files now to my actual Java.

Yeah, this 1.6u21 is mentioned in this RXTX-workaraound....

I remember some manufacturers which still leaan on very old Java-versions today..

(like Auers-wald, but mabybe they have changed now)

I always think they are just happy that their software runs on that release,

so they never will change that again :)

Rhetorical question?

(Yes, you'll have to ...)

Blame it on ... umm ... Oracle? OpenJDK? whoever ... that java.comm still has no stable implementation. At least some versions ago I tried to use the built-in serial library, and I got a JVM crash. On the other hand, RXTX is stable and allows for all communication options.

Edited by mizapf

yep, same same. But if I "distribute" this old 1.6u21 via the batch, is would remain running.....righty ?

/EDIT No no, was not rethorical, was intentional, I don´t know Java, but about some problems :)

(have brute-repaired it (the installation) feeled 1 million times in my life, (but not on the same PC haha)

but there were so much changes in the last years :(

Edited by schmitzi

@Chris, sorry, at least you have to make a copy from your tiimagetool-folder into your mess-folder (this! name: ..\tiimagetool)

as I cannot and will not "go outside" the Messfolder with my BATCH.

Just make a copy, there´s no pain :) ....for me :)

So the BATCH calls it: java -jar %LocalDrive%\%mess_path%\tiimagetool\tiimagetool.jar BRIDGE COM3 10000

Ralf

• Like 1

The JRE should suffice. You only need the full JDK when you want to build Java applications.

hmmm looking for an hour but can´t find a path where to place the JARs on the runtime.

...and on the other side, I don´t want to install the JDK on one of my machines....

I think I stop that activity, to seldom needed I hope, and to risky to get something corrupted.....

But for Chris it should work, as he has the JDK installed.