IGNORED

Hello from Florida, 800XL

jcrubin

Ive been lurking here a few years, This year I setup my 800, which I had since I was a kid.

Sakata Monitor with Composite video (RF tested though and it works)

800 full memory expansion

Indus GT drive

835 Modem

850 IO Box

Like always I brought up the components on a VARIAC over 24 hours, Required a retracing on keyboard connection membrane.

A few suspect components replaced.

Everything works like new.

Ordered an SIO2PC. Though all of my floppies are still good. Can connect to my linux server over my rotary switch at 300 baud.

2558FC1A-2450-4CB6-8538-EEE5A6B1EA7C_zps

A8568032-5159-47EB-AC6D-73B36517F042_zps

962F47B2-B14B-44B3-B9B1-FD0B67393E41_zps

65219EBD-CB62-4B01-A8A1-F5CEC9919A01_zps

J

Edited by jcrubin
  • Like 5

That is a really nice machine you've put together there - I am especially jealous of that Indus drive!!! I'm personally really in to floppy drives for some reason. I always wanted one as a kiddie, but didn't actually get a 1050 until very late so they have a real mystique for me I think. The Indus Drives in particular are very much the rolls-royces of what you could get for the A8's in my opinion.

I've just this past week been starting to get my own 800xl running again after over 20 years storage in a cold and damp house. It is not currently a pretty sight I can tell you! I've been reading up and asking questions about the various mods available over at Lotharek's shop like the 'Ultimate1MB' and 'VBXE' and so on. I think if I can get them fitted properly that will be an awesome retro rig with some cool modern ease-of-use.

Its odd you should mention re-tracing the keyboard membrane on you machine. Earlier today I had to cannibalize my old machines in order to assemble one where the keyboard worked. Sadly the best 'clicky' example had a trace that must have corroded over time as the 'Systems Reset' and other function keys were non-responsive and the power lamp did not light. After a good bit of cleaning and persuasion through exercising the keys I finally managed to get one board where everything worked. Some of them were really stubborn though and I couldn't discover a non-destructive way to get at the contacts and give them a proper de-tarnish. I may have to keep at that to ensure a lasting fix.

Are you planning on adding any of the modern mods like perhaps an 'Incognito' board to give you 1MB along with many other perks?

I always lked the physical characteristics of the 800 best over all the other A8s.

Its a real classic and jcrubin's here is in absolutely tip-top condition - generally I'm not sure if I like the 800 best or the 1200XL, but the former has the fascinating strangeness of the second cartridge slot going for it. I believe it also has one of the best keyboards of any computer, ever.

If only the various 1400XL's had made it in to real production!

• Like 1

That is a really nice machine you've put together there - I am especially jealous of that Indus drive!!! I'm personally really in to floppy drives for some reason. I always wanted one as a kiddie, but didn't actually get a 1050 until very late so they have a real mystique for me I think. The Indus Drives in particular are very much the rolls-royces of what you could get for the A8's in my opinion.

I've just this past week been starting to get my own 800xl running again after over 20 years storage in a cold and damp house. It is not currently a pretty sight I can tell you! I've been reading up and asking questions about the various mods available over at Lotharek's shop like the 'Ultimate1MB' and 'VBXE' and so on. I think if I can get them fitted properly that will be an awesome retro rig with some cool modern ease-of-use.

Its odd you should mention re-tracing the keyboard membrane on you machine. Earlier today I had to cannibalize my old machines in order to assemble one where the keyboard worked. Sadly the best 'clicky' example had a trace that must have corroded over time as the 'Systems Reset' and other function keys were non-responsive and the power lamp did not light. After a good bit of cleaning and persuasion through exercising the keys I finally managed to get one board where everything worked. Some of them were really stubborn though and I couldn't discover a non-destructive way to get at the contacts and give them a proper de-tarnish. I may have to keep at that to ensure a lasting fix.

Are you planning on adding any of the modern mods like perhaps an 'Incognito' board to give you 1MB along with many other perks?

The 800 had a really crappy connection from the keyboard end connector to the computer. I use silver trace to rewrite the connections, clean up with toothpicks and reconnect. The membrane itself stands up to the test of time.

Ill tell you that "damp" (be it slightly) is not the enemy of old computers, i think dry excessive heat is. All of mine came out of storage after over 20 years with no big issues.

nice collection of kit you have there. you'll find the sio2pc(USB) a valuable addition.

So my SIo2PC arrived today. I managed to find a pre-compiled version of AspeQT for Ubuntu. My computer sees the device and I can see that the indication lights on the SIO2PC blink when there is data going through. But the Atari won't see the computer. I even tried directly connecting the SIO2PC to the Atari SIO port and nothing will come up. also tried XEX file, got no love.

So my SIo2PC arrived today. I managed to find a pre-compiled version of AspeQT for Ubuntu. My computer sees the device and I can see that the indication lights on the SIO2PC blink when there is data going through. But the Atari won't see the computer. I even tried directly connecting the SIO2PC to the Atari SIO port and nothing will come up. also tried XEX file, got no love.

you probably have the settings in aspeqt wrong? maybe the wrong serial port, or the wrong handshaking?