IGNORED

Season 13 Round 1 - The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle

CGQuarterly

I just couldn't pull myself to post another score when trying to maximize a trip after I found out a game killing (if your going for high score) bug/glitch in the game... Let me explain...

The game actually has about 84-ish locations that a 4 character password would respond to input, otherwise display level 1. Sixty of these of course are levels 1-60, the normal 60 levels in the game, 20 or so of them are pure glitched garbage and either don't play upon loading, barely play upon loading, or glitch the heck out of the game/NES upon loading, and finally four (4) of them load levels S1, S2, S3 and S4 (The special Stages).

Upon first reference, you'd think these are like the HARD puzzles from Lolo you can try after beating the main game, but unlike lolo these can be accessed in game, and me and Jabba accidentially without knowing what we did both DID access the first one, S1, in play earlier. (Stage S1 is the tons of twisting pipes level)

For those going, I have no clue what your referring to... pop in your Bugs Bunny cart and key in these passwords to see S1 - S4

• Stage Special 1 (S1) - YYOX
  • Stage Special 2 (S2) - PYCX
  • Stage Special 3 (S3) - PPMX
  • Stage Special 4 (S4) - YPAX

These are the four special stages in Crazy Castle 1. To access these without password in game, you actually go for the "No Carrots" sign in a stage that has the No Carrot sign available. (30, 41, 45, and 60). Each one takes you to the next numbered Special Stage S# (30 for 1, 41 for 2, 45 for 3 and 60 for 4).

Now as you may have noted if you played one of them via the password, you ONLY get one try in the Special Stage before it kicks you out, and this is where the game killing (for a HSC) glitch/bug occurs. If a player Wins a special stage (Like the pipes me and Jabba had for S1 after accidentally hitting the no carrots sign in Level 30), the player advances to the next stage that you normally would of had if you had completed the normal stage instead. (Completing S1 moves you to level 31, for example)... However, if you fail (and die) the game kicks you back 3-5 levels upon death in the special stage. Also, grabbing the "No Carrots" sign even though it does the death animation for bugs, does NOT take a life from the player. (Dying in the special stage does, however), but even with the minimum 3 level loop player could go 27 -> 28 -> 29 (+3 lives) -> 30 (hit no carrot) -> S1 (die) -> 27 (looped back) and repeat as long as they want. Once I accidentially stumbled upon this (I actually hit in the 2nd Special loop (the pipe world with the no carrot in the bottom right) and realized what it was doing, I could no longer in good conscious post a new score, so I'll have to leave what I already did stand.

I await the next game, however, cause this was FUN!!! Haven't enjoyed myself in a HSC game like this in quite awhile :)

Final Scores

DonPedro 166,100 +25

Jibbajaba 127,800 +18

cparsley 101,400 +15

roadrunner 56,000 +12

asponge 54,000 +10

S.BAZ 47,000 +8

jblenkle 38,500 +6

darthkur 37,700 +4

Standings After 1 Round

1. DonPedro 25

2. Jibbajaba 18

3. cparsley 15

4. roadrunner 12

5. asponge 10

6. S.BAZ 8

7. jblenkle 6

8. darthkur 4

However, if you fail (and die) the game kicks you back 3-5 levels upon death in the special stage. Also, grabbing the "No Carrots" sign even though it does the death animation for bugs, does NOT take a life from the player. (Dying in the special stage does, however), but even with the minimum 3 level loop player could go 27 -> 28 -> 29 (+3 lives) -> 30 (hit no carrot) -> S1 (die) -> 27 (looped back) and repeat as long as they want.

Happened to me once in my final attempt, before I knew what the "no carrot sign" did. After that I just avoided it. Even without this exploit the game felt somewhat broken from competitive play point of view, with extra lives awarded upon completion of each level and only few challenging stages, but I'm sure it's target demographic didn't complain back when it was released.